2 Posts

Krystall
Queen Creek Arizona
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2008 :  3:24:27 PM  Show Profile
Hello all,

I tried posting under a different topic to no luck, so-

I am thinking of making and selling goat milk lotion. I have a Nubian and a La Mancha. My sister-in-law (a regular here) recently started the most awesome goat milk soap business (Tvala Handmade) and I would like to make and sell a complimentary product.

I have been researching on the internet but there is a lot of conflicting advice and a million different ways to make lotion. I want to make creamy goat milk lotion with as natural ingredients as possible. I haven't posted here- but I do read a lot! I would love to hear from people who actually make lotion and be able to ask them questions! Any tips, recipes, thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you all,
Krystall

This is her website!
http://tvalahandmade.com/main.sc

"The only thing that ever sat it's way to success was a hen!"

Edited by - queenofthecreek on Jul 06 2008 3:44:12 PM

tempestastrali
True Blue Farmgirl

71 Posts

magdelina
mississippi
71 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  12:32:28 AM  Show Profile  Send tempestastrali an AOL message
I see it's been quite awhile since you posted this question, but I may have a few good ideas for you. I dabble in homebrew cosmetics and concoctions myself, and have two really cool books on all-natural ways to make just about any type of "beauty" product, including lotion. I'll pull them out and post a few ideas for you - hope you will see them!

"How strange that Nature does not knock, and yet does not intrude!" Emily Dickinson
"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." ~Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

tempestastrali
True Blue Farmgirl

71 Posts

magdelina
mississippi
71 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  02:06:14 AM  Show Profile  Send tempestastrali an AOL message
tincture of benzoin, glycerine, and honey is an old, old "anti-wrinkle" lotion recipe used at least as far back as the 1700's, and honey and glycerine are the oldest recorded moisturizers used for skin. Benzoin has been used for centuries - even as an incense in temples in the Far East before it's beauty applications were discovered by clever "Farm Girls of the Past" :)
Another is half-ounce each of glycerine, (rosewater, elderflower water, or orange flower water), and witch hazel and three tablespoons of honey.
You can scent any lotion by just adding a few drops of cologne or (non-toxic) scented oils.

If you look into benzoin at all, you will find that there's also something called Friar's Balsam.
Some cider vinegar added to a lotion recipe can be good, if you want to make one that's slightly astringent.
Sesame oil is supposed to be really good in lotions.
Comfrey makes a GREAT addition - it contains allantoin, a great moisturizer. They make a lab-grown allantoin from cow's uric acid, too, but I think getting it straight from the addition of comfrey would be nicer personally.
And just for another cool idea, mixing glycerine, witch hazel, and sunflower seed oil is good on sunburns.
Also, cucumber makes a great lotion. Here's a favorite recipe that I think you could easily tweak and play around with - you should definitely make this lotion project a fun learning experience!

Finely mince a cucumber (or as many as you'd like! just scale up the other ingredients) put it in a pot or pan and cover it with boiling water from a second small pot(probably 1/3 cup for an average size cucumber). Then simmer over low heat for about half an hour, covered to prevent evaporation. Strain it into a small bowl and add, just a drop at a time, tincture of benzoin, just until you get a milky color in your cucumber liquid. Pour in another 1/3 cup of boiling water, then put it in your container or jar! I bet you could easily add goat's milk and other natural ingredients, scents, etc.
I know that powdered benzoin can be added to fat and it will not turn rancid, so I assume it acts as a natural preservative - you may want to look into that though, but I know soap makers who use animal fats often use benzoin..

Hope this helps some!

"How strange that Nature does not knock, and yet does not intrude!" Emily Dickinson
"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." ~Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  10:49:11 AM  Show Profile
Hi Krystall! I don't make lotion but do make other products. I know that people do make goat's milk lotion and claim it is wonderful. You can make it almost natural by using quality oils and ingredients. You could use only essential oil to scent it or you could get a skin safe, phalate free fragrance oil. The most important thing that I would recommend is a good preservative. You can get them that are paraben free. Unfortunately there are no truly natural preservatives. Try www.lotioncrafters.com. Jenn is the best in the business for making lotions and has all the things on her website that you will need. I would recommend Brambleberry, Southern Soapers, Wholesale Supplies Plus or Oregon Trail Soap Supplies for good essential oils and fragrances. Hope this helps.

Handmade Soap and More! - http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

PROUD FARMGIRL SISTER #100
Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic Homemade Lotion? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page