Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 NO NEWS BEFORE BED!!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic NO NEWS BEFORE BED!!!! Next Topic  

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  07:44:25 AM  Show Profile
Girls, I wanted this to be a new topic so it didnt get lost. I was reading the post about sleeping & dreams and had to add my 2 cents. I just read this article while waiting in a Dr.'s office about news & sleep. The very worse thing we can do at bedtime is watch the news. Even an hr. before bed is bad. I am very quilty of watching it in my bedroom while in bed. This Dr. Weil, I think is his name, said we need to have at least a 15 min. ritual to quiet our minds before sleep. I drink my camomile then go to bed & watch the stupid news, VERY, VERY bad! We as americans & other countries are getting such an overload with all the many horrors that are happening world wide & were not letting our minds focus on quieter & calmer happenings. At night we should according to Dr. Weil, do whatever it takes and what we like that is soothing. Like for me it should be my herbal tea with some quiet soft classical music (I like that) or a book WITHOUT violence, mystery or hurtful actions. Whatever positive & soothing act that calms & quiets our souls. Were taking all the horrors of the world to bed with us at night. He said we have plenty of time to deal with it all but dont let it be at sleep time. Our health is failing because of it. I wish I could tell you what mag. I saw it in, I should have ripped it out but I dont like doing that. Hope this is a bit helpful. Michele

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  07:51:24 AM  Show Profile
This is such good advice. We need to slow our minds and relax before bed. I love the tea and soft music idea (except I'd have to get up an hour later after drinking tea!). Add a cat on your lap and a good book. . . How many of us have TVs in the bedroom? Not a good idea?
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  08:29:32 AM  Show Profile
Dr. Weil has been a proponent of holistic health for many, many years. No news before bedtime is just the tip of the iceberg. Check out his web site for alot more details: http://www.drweil.com/u/Home/index.html

May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently through the world and know its beauty all the days of your life. ~~Apache Blessing

Edited by - Clare on Oct 13 2005 08:29:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  09:43:08 AM  Show Profile
I am pretty guilty of watching the news (or a movie) before bed..but always, no matter how late it is I read for at least 1/2 hour before I can go to sleep (I should say IF I can go t sleep) and I do try for it to be a calm book..it isn't always though. Right now I am reading a mystery..I will have to try to have a calm ritual instead...thanks..I will try anything. We have a tv in the bedroom, but it usually gets used for only football games and army movies (husband) I have never ever even turned it on. BUT..I do have the tv on before bed in the family room..and need to get out of that habit. I tend to watch old movies and knit or hand sew, or cut out aprons, like that. Or have the radio on in the kitchen.

Jenny in Utah
Put all your eggs in one basket..and then watch that basket!! Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  10:49:57 AM  Show Profile
I believe in Dr. Weil...have been a subscriber to his wellness newletter for a while.

I used to be a news hound and then realized that my life was revovloing around the newcast and what was going on in the world. That meant watching the latest new report before going to bed. Then I would talk back to the commentators and think I could solve all the things going on in the world. I knew I had crossed the line when I made the statement that I could balance the budget for the United States if I had the job. This from a women who can hardly balance my meger check book.

My frist step was elimating the late news because I do not sleep well. I have a night ritual that I honor so that I may get some rest. One thing I do is read something that is calming and good for my soul. (Mary Jane has no idea that she sleeps with me...I read her book often at night .)Warm bathes, teas, anything calming--not the latest horror of the day.

Thanks for this topic...I constantly need reminders of healthy behavior.

Linda H.
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  11:39:42 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Clare for the web-site, I have seen him before on someones show but wasnt familiar, I will be now. Michele

Go to Top of Page

verbina
True Blue Farmgirl

231 Posts

randi
n.j
USA
231 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  2:59:53 PM  Show Profile
hi all, his new skin products i bought about a week ago seem really good. i just got the starter kit. can only be bought at a Orgins counter or store ,but so far so good. randi
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  5:14:07 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!!!

I have been considering subscribing to cable because I just love Anderson Cooper, who is a CNN reporter. He was on Oprah yesterday and is doing a series on the "hidden poor" in our society. However, I know that I would have CNN on every minute since I love the news and information in general! Decided that this was not good for my mental health. I will just go to his website from time to time when I am near a computer. I don't have a computer at home for the same reason!

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  6:39:47 PM  Show Profile
Anderson Cooper gets me from 6:00 - 6:30 in the evening. That's my news for the day. He is a nice source for news! I hadn't watched ANY news for almost 2 years, then I decided to tune in to CNN during the hurricane. 30 minutes is enough.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  7:00:53 PM  Show Profile
I go through phases of not watching/watching the news. Big crisises are what seems to trigger me watching... a way to find out what's happening. But generally speaking I don't watch it for all of the above reasons. Sometimes I'll tune into the local news, to catch the weather report, but there's always the weather channel for that.

As an additional point, Dr. Weil recommends that you don't have your clock radio near the bed, or at least not pointing at the bed as there are all sorts of energy scrambles associated with electrical appliances such as this. I do recommend his books. They will get you to makin' changes ASAP.

May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently through the world and know its beauty all the days of your life. ~~Apache Blessing
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  7:51:15 PM  Show Profile
I was all over his web-site,thanks Clare. I am going to my bookstore tom. to get one of his books. Connie, I love Anderson Cooper also along with Aron Brown, I am a CNN junkie and I am really trying to let go some. At least at night, problem is Anderson & Aron are on from 10pm to midnite. But starting this evening I turned it off at 10:30, they keep showing that poor man being abused by the police in NO & as soon as I see it I get upset all over again. My husband keeps asking me why I even look at it all, it does nothing but upset me. I guess sometimes I just cant believe how violent things have gotten. Hopefully my soft classical music and a "double" camomille will help me relax, that or the sound of rain which normally I love but here in N.J. where I am, it hasnt stopped for days and my little mobile home has sprung a few leaks. I had to go out & tie up the garbage cans before the wind blew them away. Michele

Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic NO NEWS BEFORE BED!!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page