Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Trying to break the poor eating/poor health cycle!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Trying to break the poor eating/poor health cycle! Next Topic  

sock_heaven
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

14 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2005 :  11:25:10 AM  Show Profile
It's so stupid. I feel tired and have no energy to cook, so I get fast food for myself and the kids, which makes me fatter so that I feel even more tired and energy-less!

SO--now I'm looking for tips on how to break the vicious cycle. Any thoughts?

What would the world be, once bereft/Of wet and of wildness? Let them be left,
O let them be left, wildness and wet;/Long live the weeds and the wilderness yet. --Gerard Manley Hopkins

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2005 :  2:07:27 PM  Show Profile
When you do cook, make a double or even triple batch of whatever is for dinner and freeze the second portion. Most things freeze really well if they're wrapped properly. You can either freeze whole meals or individual portions.
I used to be able to get all kinds of good things into my girls with smoothies and homemade soups. It was years before they realized parsley wasn't kale that was really in the soup :)
Most grocery stores have organic produce sections that carry organic mixed greens. We go through tons of it around here. It's a quick wash, toss in some peppers, purple onions and a grated carrot and it's good to go.
A warning though...if you do start eating this way you will feel better, but you will lose your tolerance for fast food. Can't remember how many years it's been since I had a fast food burger, but DH wanted KFC a couple months ago for a treat...took four days before we felt better!
Go to Top of Page

mdotterer
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Marlene
Pleasant Hill CA
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2005 :  4:26:50 PM  Show Profile
That is hilarious, Diane! And, so true, because if you haven't fast food in a while, YUCK! My husband used to eat Healthy Choice frozen dinners all the time (before I came along)and he had a bunch in his freezer. I tried to serve them for dinner one night (to use them up). I took one bite and had to throw mine away! It tasted like formaldehyde!.

Sock Heaven - this may seem counter-intuitive, but one thing that always helps me is to make up a weekly or bi-weekly menu. It takes time to write it out, but it helps to know what you've got coming up. You can shop for the week just once and have everything at home when you're ready to cook. You can be flexible and change it if something comes up, but generally, you'll find you stick with it. Making a double or triple batch is a great idea, too. You'll love those nights when you just pop your own delicious, home-made frozen dinner in the oven and have it ready in no time!

Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2005 :  7:01:00 PM  Show Profile
There are websites as well for cooking healthy meals in bulk and freezing.

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2005 :  7:06:57 PM  Show Profile
All good ideas! My suggestion to add to the mix is to go grocery shopping and pick up all of your favorite vegetables. When you get home wash and slice them all up into stir-fry size pieces. Put them in an air tight container. The only thing you wouldn't want to slice right away are tomatoes and potatoes. Prep work is half the mind-over-matter thing when you're hungry, so if the prep work is already done then it is very easy to pull out a skillet and stir fry some veges and then you have the option of cooking rice to put them over or you can make a bakeover. There are lots of bakeover ideas here, just do a search. The most important thing is to have seasonings on hand, as they can really add depth and flavor to the stir fry. If you do this a couple times a week to begin with you'll become accustomed to REAL, TASTY food and that's the choice you'll find yourself making more and more...

I agree, fast food will wreck your gut and make you feel yucky all over if you eat it once you've gotten out of the habit. Better to stick with your own prepared foods. Also, if your kids are old enough to help out in the kitchen by stirring or putting the veges in the container, etc, so much the better. That makes it great family time with them and teaches them good healthy-eating habits, plus kids love to eat what they helped to prepare.
Hope this helps!

May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently through the world and know its beauty all the days of your life. ~~Apache Blessing

Edited by - Clare on Oct 14 2005 7:08:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2005 :  7:33:40 PM  Show Profile
They always say "shop the perimeter of the store" that's where the healthy stuff is. I find myself sometmes buying organic frozen meals similar to Healthy Choice in set up and microwavability. I wonder if these are truely healthy? Like Amy's....

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2005 :  12:54:48 PM  Show Profile
Sock heaven, do you need recipes? Is it a matter of not knowing how to cook healthy meals?
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  3:29:08 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!!!

I definitely need to drop weight and lead a healthier lifesytle. I just watched today's Oprah show on Heart health and overall health for women. If you did not see it, go to Oprah.com and check it out. You will never want to eat a Hershey bar or 1,000 calorie cheeseburger again.

Good luck to everyone.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

Judes
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Jude
OH
USA
156 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  5:17:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Judes a Yahoo! Message
My idea is similar to Clare's. And Clare, you are so right about prepwork being mind over matter! I go to the farmer's market once a week & stock up on Veggies. When I get home, I stirfry together whatever inspires me. Corn with Vidalia Onions, Zuccini & Asparagus, Wild Mushrooms....and put each "medly" into it's own container in the fridge. Then I load some rice into my rice cooker along with vegetable or chicken stock...And turn it on. I also make Curried Chick Peas or Brazilian Black Beans (some kind of bean dish) once a week, in a large quantity, and put half in the fridge, and half in the freezer. Then, when we're hungry, we throw things together. Using the veggies it took me 45 minutes to prep, the rice, and chickpeas, my husband and I can feast all week on healthy Omlettes, Stirfries, Burritos, etc... It sounds complicated, but it's just one small discipline that makes a big difference. Hope that helps! Judes
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  11:53:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Hey Sock Heaven..Have you tried any of Mary Janes Bake Overs? can't get much easier or more nutritious than that!
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2005 :  04:11:52 AM  Show Profile
Judes -- I love your way of pre-preparing meals! I'm going to give it a try this week. Makes me hungry just reading about it. Kathy L
Go to Top of Page

Judes
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Jude
OH
USA
156 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2005 :  4:49:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Judes a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Katie-ell! I am an "all day" kind of cook. ie when I feel like cooking, I feel like COOKING. SO I had to come up with some way to eat that didn't cause the rest of my life to sit on the back burner. (a few months went by that every day off was spent cooking. I didn't get any laundry, cleaning or artwork done...didnt see my friends etc) Let me know what combinations you come up with this week! PS Another wonderful dish...roast grape tomatos & garlic together until they get all roasty toasty, then add goat cheese for another few minutes. Spoon over rice,pasta or crusty bread. Yum. Happy eating!

Sock-Heaven....cooking for picky eaters isn't easy...but make sure you take time to make, just for you, the things that you love!
Go to Top of Page

sock_heaven
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

14 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2005 :  12:24:52 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, ladies! You've reminded me of things I already knew but had just forgotten for a while. I think meal planning is the biggest thing that will help me break the bad habits cycle.

What would the world be, once bereft/Of wet and of wildness? Let them be left,
O let them be left, wildness and wet;/Long live the weeds and the wilderness yet. --Gerard Manley Hopkins
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Trying to break the poor eating/poor health cycle! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page