CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2008 :  09:05:26 AM  Show Profile
I'm wondering what your favorite peach recipes are? Peach pie and cobbler are standbys, but what else are you making with the nice ripe peaches that are in the stores right now?

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
http://nostalgichomemaking.blogspot.com

Edited by - CherryPie on Jul 06 2008 5:46:30 PM

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2008 :  5:42:48 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I love them FRESH.... I just peel, slice, add a drizzle of honey and whip cream and grated almonds.. YUM!

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2008 :  9:12:49 PM  Show Profile
I had some fresh peach salsa that a friend made..oh my it was good. I know it had kiwi and fresh mint in it..but darned if I can remember what else. We dipped shorbread or sugar cookies in it..it was nice!!!!!!!!
I love to just wash and eat a fresh peach..one of my favorite fruits for sure. We won't have them available here until August..

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2008 :  11:59:36 PM  Show Profile
The ONLY thing I miss about our old house is the beautiful peach tree we had. The peaches from that tree had to be eaten over the sink as the juice ran down your arm! Sure wish I knew what variety it was.
I used to make a mild peach/orange marmalade that was delicious. I just used the Certo recipe for peach jam and added orange juice instead of the lemon that it called for and a little grated or finely chopped orange rind.
Something else I still occasionally make is a peach (or sometimes mango) salsa. Mix chopped peach with a little lemon juice to prevent discoloring, add a little red onion, chopped green pepper, fresh cilantro and a clove of garlic. It's wonderful on fish.
And just plain, home-canned peaches are a real treat in winter.

Di on VI
Farmgirl Sister #73
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2314 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2314 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  01:03:07 AM  Show Profile
Besides eating one while leaning over the sink we do the usual peach cobbler, peach ice cream, and I like to make biscuit dough with a little sugar and almond extract added and fold it around peach halves and bake them in the oven. I also love fresh peach smoothies for breakfast made in the blender with yogurt and ice; really good on hot days when you don't feel like eating much.

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  02:40:33 AM  Show Profile
When i can get decent peaches, which isn't often around here, I like to make pickled peaches, peach chutney and James Beard's peach jam , it has vanilla bean and a dash of peach brandy in it. I wish I could get a peach that I would need to lean over the sink to eat! That is one of the drawbacks of living in the Northest....

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

SusieQue
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Susie
Greenville Ga
Georgia
603 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  07:35:17 AM  Show Profile
Our favorite "quick" dessert: chop up fresh juicy peaches and put sugar and milk over them....Yummy!
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  9:36:07 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by SusieQue

Our favorite "quick" dessert: chop up fresh juicy peaches and put sugar and milk over them....Yummy!

Me too!

I've made a canned peach salsa for two years now. We really love it. And of course there's peach pie. I freeze the fillings for my fruit pies in pie plates without the crust and then pop 'em out and wrap with plastic wrap. Then you can just stack them in the freezer.

"Nature always has the last laugh." Mrs. Greenthumbs

Go to Top of Page

AliShuShu
True Blue Farmgirl

150 Posts

Alison
Charlotte NC
USA
150 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  07:12:23 AM  Show Profile  Send AliShuShu an AOL message  Send AliShuShu a Yahoo! Message
i use any fresh fruit in season to make a crisp... its quick & easy and always the hit of the potluck!
last week, i made a peach & raspberry crisp and it was heavenly...
i use a cup of flour, a cup of brown sugar, 1/2-3/4 cup of oatmeal & 1/2-3/4 cup of granola... i usually mix that in a ziploc baggie and mix it up, then throw in a stick of butter and microwave it until the butter is melted... smoosh it up until blended & dump on top of the prepared fruit in the dish... bake at 350 til bubbly and its done! if the fruit is sweet enough, there's no need to add sugar...

Alison
I think that if ever a mortal heard the voice of God it would be in a garden at the cool of the day. ~F. Frankfort Moore, A Garden of Peace
Namaste'
www.shumusings.com
Go to Top of Page

CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  1:24:05 PM  Show Profile
Peach salsa (and pineapple salsa) are my favorites - especially if they are a bit spicy.

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
http://nostalgichomemaking.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  07:55:14 AM  Show Profile
I'm still waiting for the Niagara peaches here, but when they are ready, I'll be making peach lavender jam. I made it last year for the first time, and it was "to die for."

Lori

Farmgirl Sister #183
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  09:50:34 AM  Show Profile
Oh I live in a peach area. Surprising since I'm in Colorado but oh they are delivious. Unfortunately this year I will probably miss them. Work and all. I like to just freeze them for smoothis. yum. I'd love a peach salsa recipe if anyone is willing to share. SOunds scumptious.

Laurie

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  1:39:42 PM  Show Profile
I used a recipe from (www.allrecipes.com) called Peach Salsa II. It's really good.

Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  1:44:50 PM  Show Profile
Ok, now don't laugh, but I've never heard of a sweet salsa before. What do you eat this with?

Lori

Farmgirl Sister #183
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  2:39:27 PM  Show Profile
It's great with chicken or pork. Or over cream cheese with crackers.

Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2008 :  8:50:34 PM  Show Profile
Canned peaches, peach sauce for ice cream, pickled peaches, peach butter - those are my favorites.
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2008 :  9:47:26 PM  Show Profile
Ok, Rene's suggestion sounds to die for. YUM!!!!! And the peach butter, Shirley? Is there a recipe you can share? 'Cuz that sounds wonderful, too!

The Biz www.tvalahandmade.com
The Blog: http://blog.tvalahandmade.com/
The Bits www.happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mrsmorgen
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

morgen
coudersport pa
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  1:25:29 PM  Show Profile
My grandma always made pork chops with stuffing and peaches!!! it was wonderful. and I just saw on the cover of the better homes and garden a recipes making peaches into a pie filling type thing and eating it over ice cream with a pie crust cookie!!! I am so making that this weekend!
Morgen

I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all..
laura ingalls wilder

www.laubers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

fionalovesshrek
True Blue Farmgirl

186 Posts

Paige
kinston North Carolina
USA
186 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  10:07:16 AM  Show Profile
I clean them, pit and chop and put in a bowl, drizzle with raw honey and sprinkle with cinnamon. Let chill in the fridge before serving. Serve over a little bit of fiber one or crumbly graham crackers. Delish!

living a good neighbor life
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  10:51:39 AM  Show Profile
Peaches are one of those favorite things for me.....I do not even bother to mess with a recipe because I can't top what Mother Nature has done. I peel, slice and sprinkle a tad of sugar over them, and put the bowl on the dinner table. It is always empty after dinner! And we do the same thing and put them on vanilla ice cream. Yum Yum. Our peaches are really coming in here in the south, and the ones I have had are really juicy this year.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  5:14:01 PM  Show Profile
Hello Molly - I had to find my recipe for the peach butter. It is made in a slow cooker and really makes the house smell great while cooking. Peel your peaches and chop into a blender or food processor to puree. Fill your crockpot to about an inch from the top. Add 2 Tbsp ground cinnamon, 1 tsp ground cloves, 1/2 tsp allspice and 4 cups of sugar (or Splenda). Cover your pot with a loose fitting lid or a splatter guard so that steam will escape allowing the butter to cook down. Cook on low 6-12 hours, depending on the consistency you want. It should reduce to about one-half. I like mine thick so I let it go quite a while. I usually blend it again with a mixer or submersion blender before filling my jars. Process pints and half-pints 5 min. in a water bath canner (qts - 10 min). I hope you enjoy making this.
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  07:05:17 AM  Show Profile
Shirley, sounds delicious, just got a bunch of peaches Im going to freeze some but Im going to use some to make this butter! About how many peaches do you use? Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10 http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2008 :  8:09:12 PM  Show Profile
Karen - I sent you an e-mail in answer, but just in case. I would have to guess about a peck or less. I usually use the ripest ones in a couple of bushels. Also, I get about six pints (actually I use 1/2 pints because there are just two of us and I can always open another jar rather than have one set long after it is opened). Good luck with yours. It will be a couple of weeks before the peaches in our area are truly freestone so I am waiting (but not patiently).
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2008 :  07:11:25 AM  Show Profile
Shirley, That sounds delicious! I've never heard of peach butter before but now I can't wait to make some!
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2008 :  05:53:19 AM  Show Profile
All I do is can them and if I have some that are too ripe for that, I also make peach butter. Last year, our local nursery/organic farm stand had a box of peaches that were too far gone to sell so she gave them to me. All of them went into peach butter. You gals will just love it.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2008 :  07:06:10 AM  Show Profile
Fresh peaches sprinkle with a little sugar. Let set for a little while. Eat & enjoy!!! Simple. Easy. Yummy!!!

Erin

Farmgirl #190
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Favorite peach recipes? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page