Page: of 2

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2008 :  6:09:06 PM  Show Profile
I was just telling a girlfriend today about a mess my mom used to make that we'll make after we go peach-picking in a couple of weeks, if my broken wrist then permits. This goes with fried chicken. I use chicken breast filets (no bones). Make the chicken and set it aside or keep it warm in the oven. While the chicken is cooking, heat up a cup or so of orange juice. Throw together a bunch of chopped up and partially mashed ripe peaches and tomatoes; set aside. Saute some sliced green peppers and onions in a bit of olive oil until the onions are translucent and starting to brown a little. Dump in the peach/tomato mixture and the hot OJ. Stir to heat through and reduce the OJ by about half. Add the fried chicken and serve over rice. Sometimes, Mom would add pineapple chunks, too, cooking them with the green peppers & onions. Once or twice, my dad would grill all the ingredients except the OJ and rice outside, like shish kabobs. Mom woulkd add the pieces to reduced OJ and serve over rice. Either way, very yummy. Of course, you'll want to add whatever spices you'd like.
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  10:08:28 AM  Show Profile
I purchased my peaches yesterday and today I have a crock pot bubbling away with peach butter, while I am canning pickled peaches, peach pie filling, canned peaches (which I will eat with raisin toast as a midnight snack this winter), making peach/pineapple preserves, and will now attempt peach salsa. That is a new one for me. It's going to be a very busy day - Wish me luck and the strenghth to get it all done.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  08:14:29 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by AliShuShu

i use any fresh fruit in season to make a crisp... its quick & easy and always the hit of the potluck!
last week, i made a peach & raspberry crisp and it was heavenly...
i use a cup of flour, a cup of brown sugar, 1/2-3/4 cup of oatmeal & 1/2-3/4 cup of granola... i usually mix that in a ziploc baggie and mix it up, then throw in a stick of butter and microwave it until the butter is melted... smoosh it up until blended & dump on top of the prepared fruit in the dish... bake at 350 til bubbly and its done! if the fruit is sweet enough, there's no need to add sugar...

Alison
I think that if ever a mortal heard the voice of God it would be in a garden at the cool of the day. ~F. Frankfort Moore, A Garden of Peace
Namaste'
www.shumusings.com

Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  08:15:41 AM  Show Profile
Alison, I've printed out your peach crisp recipe and plan to make it as soon as I get my mitts on some good sweet peaches -- thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  4:39:48 PM  Show Profile
Just finished making 1/2 bushel of peaches into Shirley's peach butter recipe - it is delicious! I'm so excited! I'm sitting here listening to that sweet sound of lids popping as they seal! Thanks, Shirley!
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  4:34:38 PM  Show Profile
Susan - I am so glad you like the recipe. I look forward to doing mine each year. I also tried something new this year. I am making peach brandy. It will take several weeks and will let you know if it turns out. It's my first attempt at something like this.
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2008 :  09:20:27 AM  Show Profile
Shirley, Please let us know how it goes! When I got my peaches at the farmers market they were $17 1/2 bushel, but she told me she had a 1/2 bushel of overripe for $7 - needless to say that is what I got! anyway, she said another lady had just bought some of the overripe to make peach schnapps...never heard of anyone making schnapps or brandy so I'm interested in how yours turns out!
Go to Top of Page

girlwrangler
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Sheri
Lincoln Montana
USA
67 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2008 :  7:03:16 PM  Show Profile
Grilled! Dip in vanilla, roll in sugar, nutmeg & cinnamon and grill!

MMMMMM!

Sheri
Go to Top of Page

Peg Graham
True Blue Farmgirl

281 Posts

Peg
Chesapeake Virginia
USA
281 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2008 :  3:51:07 PM  Show Profile
My fave is sliced Peaches cooked in Oatmeal....YUM!
and Peach dumplings....ooohhhh!!!

miles of smiles~
Peg

Edited by - Peg Graham on Aug 02 2008 3:52:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  12:21:10 PM  Show Profile
okay....I'm doing my first ever canning with peaches. Has anyone tried the microwave recipe for peach jam from the Ball Blue Book of canning and preserving or any "microwave" jam recipe for that matter?

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  2:17:20 PM  Show Profile
Ok...getting ready to put them in the water bath....I tasted and so far pretty yummy....it said 4 pints but I got 5 and 1/2...the 1/2 pint is in the frig for MOI! I need to take pictures as I'm sure this must be a badge for the sisterhood somewhere? I have to take notes and go back to store for more pectin and jars! I'm lovin' this...what a sense of accomplishment! And I have more to process so I shold get 8-10 jars of jam out of this and just think...the Farmer's Market is tomorrow again! Wha-Hoo!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  9:00:44 PM  Show Profile
Hello everyone - just checking in and wanted to let you know, we have one week to go on the brandy. It sure is smelling good and I have high hopes. I guess I have better start gathering bottles and corks. This is supposed to make 2-1/2 gallons. Of course, I won't get to keep it all because I made the mistake of telling my daughter-in-law and a couple of other people. Small bottles will make great gifts if it is as good as it smells. I am already imagining how it will be as a flambe' over vanilla ice cream.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  9:49:02 PM  Show Profile
Peach ice cream! It's the only excuse you need for making your own :-)
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  06:48:04 AM  Show Profile
Shirley, I can't wait to see how the brandy turns out! I'd love to make some, it would make great gifts! I'm gathering up Christmas stuff now...
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  08:54:37 AM  Show Profile
Peach cream tart. From Paula Dean recipes. I want to learn how to make Peach Brandy too.

diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Favorite peach recipes? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page