Page: of 2

iloveprims
True Blue Farmgirl

154 Posts

TRACY
Phillipsburg NJ
USA
154 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2008 :  2:53:52 PM  Show Profile  Send iloveprims a Yahoo! Message
I have always thought I wanted a large home.... my home now isnt small at all but I've wanted bigger, dont know why but I want more space, more spare rooms. With the cost of things these days including utilities and that darn heating oil, I might reconsider and stay where I am at for now and get my farm later.

http://wantingtobeme.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdwagen
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Susan
Winterset Iowa
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  12:45:49 AM  Show Profile  Send shepherdwagen a Yahoo! Message
I currently rent. Most of my houses have been small, and I know that when I buy a house, it's going to be a small one. Well, 2 bedroom, though I have thought perhaps I might need a 3 bedroom in case my folks might need to move in with me someday. I like the idea of a very small house. You'd have to be organized, and you could not spend a lot of money on junk. That's something I've had a problem with over the last few years. I'm trying to figure out how to downsize and save money. Doing that would make it alot easier for my old age. We are such a consumption driven society, with the latest gadgets shoved in our faces, and we think we have to have them, and then we have to buy a bigger house to store it all.
Which makes me think of George Carlin, who remarked that we had to keep buying a bigger box--it starts with a stick of butter, and you put it in a box--butter dish. To keep it from melting, you have to get another box--fridge. And you have to put that box in a bigger box, your house, and then you get more stuff, and you run out of room and have to buy a bigger box, and so on. I know I don't have George's story quite right, but you get the idea.

"I've childproofed my house, but they keep getting in."

Edited by - shepherdwagen on Jul 15 2008 01:39:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

kindacrunchymom
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Diane
In the thumb Michigan
94 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2008 :  3:53:11 PM  Show Profile
We have what is considered to be a smallish house--1650-1700 sq feet with a full basement. I love it, and even if we were to move someday I don't know that I'd want more space (unless we are blessed with more kids, sigh.). We have a decent eat in kitchen, dining room, large living room, three bedrooms, two baths and a huge front porch. DH built it himself and we tweaked the design to suit our needs.

If we do have another tot, they will probably share a room anyway even though we have a spare. I totally prefer a smaller house with nice details over a big cavern.

Farmmom to my 3 year old farm tot, and wife to a country boy!
To learn more about me, here is my blog:
http://mcadmom.wordpress.com/

Go to Top of Page

Buffalomary
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Mary
Caldwell ID
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2008 :  10:36:27 PM  Show Profile
I would say the size of the house depends on the family and their needs. I'm in a small house built in 1939. The original house is only one bedroom but the previous owners added another bedroom and mud room. The house is about 850 sq ft which suits me and my 3 cats just fine. We also like the way you can go from room to room and make a complete circle in the house! Just get out of their way when they are playing tag!! Both of my kids are grown and living in different states, so when they come to visit I have a hide-a-bed sofa I found at a thrift store. I'm also learning to use the space in a way that suits me, even though I am sure I am giving my grandmother a few gray hairs over my choices!! Housecleaning is one of my least favorite activities, so the less I have to clean, the better I like it!! I would much rather be outside in the yard or doing needlework and sewing which definitely catch my attention before the broom and dishpan!! My dream house would be a round house of around 900-1000 sq ft. That may still happen one of these days, but for now, I am having fun turning this place into my place. Yippee!!

You can take the farmer's daughter off the farm but you can't take the farm out of the farmer's daughter!!
Go to Top of Page

peggylee3
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Fielding
Spokane WA
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  02:46:13 AM  Show Profile
Hi

Oh, It's so funny. I guess a lot of us think the same way. We all want a big house until we live in one for a while. I hate having to clean three bathrooms! Im actually going to move into a houe that is about half the size of my current house. At first I was really worried about not having enough room for all my stuff, but it has really helped me to realize just how much stuff I have that I dont need. I have been downsizing and I feel great about it! I am actually happier now that I am letting go of some of the "stuff". Who knew?

Fielding

www.twowomencountrychic.com
Go to Top of Page

AuntPammy
True Blue Farmgirl

488 Posts

Pamila
williamstown wv
USA
488 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  04:58:29 AM  Show Profile  Click to see AuntPammy's MSN Messenger address
I grew up in a little tiny house. It had four rooms and a bathroom. There were four of us in that home but it never felt too crowded. In the summer my sister and I spent most of our days playing outside. There was an old building by the house that my dad built a chicken coop onto. If it rained, my sister and I would retreat in there with our friends to play. There is so many happy memories from my childhood and that little house. The house was magical in that if we had company, there was still plenty of room for everyone! The house seemed to expand to accommodate us all. There are pictures of aunts and uncles eating Christmas dinner in the kitchen and even to this day it seems impossible that we could even move our arms to eat.My husband and I have lived in really big homes(he grew up in a large house). Right now we live in an old Sear's and Roebuck's home. It is definitly small but I love it because it is sooooo cozy. As for having room for the "stuff",a small home makes you decide what is really important. A few years back we lost all of our "stuff" in a freak flash flood.Let me tell you, we had ALOT of stuff, (this house was huge, four bedrooms, three baths, a den, etc.. Everything was ruined or washed away. At first I was sad and angry. And then I realized how truly blessed my family was. "Stuff" can always be replaced but when you suddenly don't have any, then you really start and think about if you want all of that back in your life. Me and my family decided we didn't want it. We replaced the appliances and basic furniture but not the knick knacks. We are so much happier now than before. Our "new" little house is just perfect and I feel kinda like I have went back home!

Let's dance in the rain and play in the puddles under the rainbows.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  2:25:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Lori- Wow! 8 Adults! I can imagine that you would need a big house for that! How wonderful to have an extended family all living together though!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  08:09:43 AM  Show Profile
Alee, have you had any trouble with the fires by Billings? I caught a tiny bit of the news the other day and immediately thought of you! I hope all is safe and well with you and Nora and I hope you are feeling more settled in!
Monica

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  08:43:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Monica-

No not yet. The air is pretty hazy, but so far no troubles. Thanks for thinking of us! I should go figure out where the fires are!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  11:01:39 AM  Show Profile
I have lived in very large homes (over 4000sft) and in pretty small ones ( try 1100 sft with 5 kids!). On our farm our house is 1800sft. It is perfect. We have a large kitchen and pantry. A large living room and normal sized bedrooms and baths. I also have a large porch with a nice sized 12 x 20 screened in section.

The big houses were WAY TOO time consuming and the small one a little too close. This one is just right . Of course 6 acres of land help too!

Tamara
http://smallfarm.about.com small farms give big benefits
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Small House or Big House? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page