Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2008 :  08:19:23 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I keep the house presentable all week and am still in the process of unpacking and trying to find a place for everything. So Saturday is our "chore day" where we make sure the dirt from the week is swept, vacuumed, and polished away. I write a list for my hubby and I try to keep it light and simple, but this way I get some help out of him each week and after he gets his stuff done, he watches Nora so I can get the rest done. I also write a list for my self so I can strike off each completed thing and see that I am making progress.

Today I have:

Dishes (almost done)
Clean Kitchen
Clean Bathroom
Clean Dining Room
Laundry

Good thing it's a small house :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2008 :  2:06:52 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Alee

I keep the house presentable all week and am still in the process of unpacking and trying to find a place for everything. So Saturday is our "chore day" where we make sure the dirt from the week is swept, vacuumed, and polished away. I write a list for my hubby and I try to keep it light and simple, but this way I get some help out of him each week and after he gets his stuff done, he watches Nora so I can get the rest done. I also write a list for my self so I can strike off each completed thing and see that I am making progress.

Today I have:

Dishes (almost done)
Clean Kitchen
Clean Bathroom
Clean Dining Room
Laundry

Good thing it's a small house :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com

To keep our home presentable, we do floors everyday that is sweep/vacum and steam them (we have many pets and this keeps them clean), I also do daily, counters, dishes, and laundry. DH has been on STAY-cation for 5 days and has all the laundry caught up! bathrooms, dusting etc gets hit every 3 days.

AngiKay

For he is faithful that promised. Hebrews 10:23

check out Texas 4H! http://texas4-h.tamu.edu/
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2008 :  6:54:41 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I find that I have to take the chore list and break it down a little every day- I work outside of the home ( although my last day of that is wed of this week as I will be taking on a job that will allow me to work out of my home)... But Sat I volunteer at the farmers market so that takes up my sat Mornings....

I am usually up by 5:00 am get a couple loads in and hung to dry, water the gardens and weed, come in and get breakfast on, get dished done and kitchen floor swept and mopped, shower, get to work.. come home water again, vaccume, fold clothes from the morning, clean bathrooms, get dinner on, dishes done, blog :),listen to my 11 read, tuck him in, blog some more and go to bed to start all over again...........

Sunday afternoons are usually when I get to be creative, cook, or can, or sew.... then the week starts again.. If I stay on top of things, I always have Sundays for the creative things...

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page

abigailc1973
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

abigail
orlando fl
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2008 :  8:57:58 PM  Show Profile
Angi, when you say you steam your floors, do you use one of the floor steamers like I've seen on tv? I think one of them was the Shark, I'm not exactly sure, but it did seem interesting. I have all hard floors except for my bedroom. If so, how do you like it?

Alee, I stay home with the kids. So, during the week I pick a day to deep clean the bathrooms, a day to deep clean the kitchen, a day to tackle the kids' rooms, living room ect. Our home is very small and we have 4 of us here so every day is a battle of picking up and maintaining. I also write out a list of things I need to accomplish that week, like cleaning out closets, reorganizing areas and that sort of thing. I bust hump so everything is done and finished inside by Friday so I can spend the weekend outside doing projects and play in the dirt, which is what I love to do. During the week, I usually only get to get out there to water and weed. So, I treasure the time when thier dad is home so I can get in the zone & go get lost in my plants.

Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  06:40:17 AM  Show Profile
Hi All! Just wanted to say hello, I'm kinda new here and noticed this topic...Cleaning is a favorite for me. I love it, I love trying new products and doing my best to keep the house tidy..After all...A tidy house is a happy house!
Oddly enough, I have discovered that I am far more productive in the evening time [around 8pm when Zach (18 months) goes off to sleep. I don't really do a deep clean or anything....I just do a little something that I noticed could be spruced up and that won't take more than 30min or so to do....Like putting shelving paper down in the kitchen cabinets [I only do one or two shelves a night so I won't overwhelm myself] or straightening out that junk drawer that something always spills out of when your looking for something....You know, just a little thing that makes you feel like you did something productive in just a little time.

Hope you're having a fabulous Monday!!
Jamie

How about those indoor farmers!!!
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  08:18:19 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Jamie,
I was the same way when my boys were little.... Loved evenings and always got that second wind which was so helpful! Welcome to the blog!!!

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  08:32:07 AM  Show Profile
To do:

Make a 'to do' list.

Dang. I'm already behind.....

The Biz www.tvalahandmade.com
The Blog: http://blog.tvalahandmade.com/
The Bits www.happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  7:46:12 PM  Show Profile
Molly, that's funny!!
I wish I got a second wind at night, I think I used to but now I get up at 4:10 everyday, not so much on the evening energy
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  07:35:26 AM  Show Profile
I have made a list.....It's a "when I get home from work" list....

~Play with Zach outside (possibly painting)

~Greet my husband at the door when he comes home for work with a big smootchy and tell him how much I love him!!

~Eat dinner that someone else is making (the step daughter)

~Play with Zach some more

~Put him to bed and read a book in his room with him tonight (Thomas the Train!! Woot Woot)

~PUT LAUNDRY AWAY after Zach goes to bed

Managable list today!!

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison
Go to Top of Page

grammagoose
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

sandy
exeter rhode island
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  05:45:02 AM  Show Profile
The steam mop! Do they really work?
Thanks,
grammagoose
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  05:45:57 AM  Show Profile
I got everything on my list completed last night! WootWoot!!! Although....I did make it an easy one to manage.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  07:12:15 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Today it looks like I need to:

Fold and put away Laundry
Buy an umbrella stroller for Nora
Buy clothes pins
Do dishes (not to bad since I got them all caught up last night)
wash dining room floor and vacuum
I might also put in tidy up my sewing room- but that might wait for another day.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  07:19:07 AM  Show Profile
Morning All!!

My list for at home today,

Vaccum upstairs
Make dinner
Finish the little bit of laundry left to do
Meet Husband for a few cocktails after work
MAKE MEMORIES WITH ZACH BY READING HIS FAVORITE "THOMAS" BOOK WITH HIM

Jamie

Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  7:36:29 PM  Show Profile
My chore list...well, let's go with what's on the agenda for tomorrow...

Laundry- wash dry fold n put away
Dishes- this is an ever constant stream
Vacuuming throughout- I have kiddos so this gets done anywhere from 2-3 times a day. Thank goodness for a good vacuum!
Cleaning the kids room- It will be messed up by the time I get the next room straightened, but since the kids always want to play in the cleanest room I thought it the best ploy for keeping them occupied while I moved into other place ;) See, I'm thinking ahead!
Dinner- Not sure what I'm making for that yet. Maybe a pizza...I love pizza!
Kids baths
Putting the kids down for bed
Re-Putting the kids down for bed
Straightening up and odds and ends dishes
Then, putting myself in bed. ;)
Okay, so the last one isn't so much of a chore as it is the reward for finishing off the chore list before it. ;)
Jess

Farmgirl Sister #235

http://crshelpmeet-heartssong.blogspot.com/

Children seldom misquote you. In fact, they usually repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said.

The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug. -- Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

DeerDominique
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Dominique
Ferndale CA
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  8:10:16 PM  Show Profile
Guess I have to start makin' a list. I am not very disciplined when it comes to house work, which is unfortunate, because I have a high standard of clean. I tend to have those days where I do everything in one day and spend the other days monkeying around. Maybe someday I'll grow up and become a more efficient Domestic Goddess.

All that's left for me tonight is:
Get Junior Miss down to bed
Clean up the dinner dishes
Watch an episode of "Medium"
Think up new ways to procrastinate potty training (why?)
Eat a guilty amount of cookies and go to bed too late.

I think tomorrow is going to be a get everything done at once type of day.

Go to Top of Page

mandi
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Amanda
Nashville Tennessee
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  10:13:35 AM  Show Profile
My big "to-do" today is hopefully picking a few more berries off our blackberry bush. I just need a cup or so more and I'll have enough to make jam! So then I'll be making that...

I also need to wash and block a capelet that I knitted as a model for my local yarn shop. Gotta get that delivered to them later this week hopefully...

Farmgirl Sister #264
My Farmgirl Blog - http://www.mandiknits.com/farmgirl
My Knitting Blog - http://www.mandiknits.com
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  10:16:32 AM  Show Profile
Oh the chores.......

Isn't it funny how what's going on in our everyday lives can shape how the "chores list" FEELS to us?! I know what you're thinking.....What in the world does Jamie mean by that?...

Well, like today, I have already had a stressful day at work. Things are challenging in this business...and I'm doing the best I can not to wear the stress on my sleeve. However, when things get tense here.....It sometimes makes it seem like the chores I have waiting at home are too overwhelming to even think about. Even though, in all reality....It's really only the regular things I do everyday.
On the other hand, these days make me feel like going home early and taking all the rest of the day to complete a task list of five things..... To me, that's a great way to destress myself...

Alright, so here's the OMG list:
~Make the bed (should have been done already....whoops)
~Throw a load of laundry in
~Straighten up the messy bathroom counter
~Clean out that darn junk drawer
~Take Zach to the pool with the hubby

Have a Terrific Tuesday
Jamie

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  10:17:07 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
My list for the day-

Finish laundry (always a constant! LOL)
Put boxes in the Dungeon (under house storage)
Finish up dishes
cook dinner
Prep sack lunches for DH
Hopefully go swimming with Nora!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  3:11:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Okay, so as usual life has been getting in the way. I have the dungeon opened up (trap door) and have only gotten one box down there so far! I have to be really careful with Nora up because I don't want her anywhere near the stairs.

We aren't going swimming today- she slept right through the window we could have gone. I am still going to cook dinner and prep sack lunches for DH and I have only one more load of dishes left to do.

However! I did get some rugs laid out, and my dining room table stained a cherry color to match the chairs I am rehabing!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2314 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2314 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  3:17:30 PM  Show Profile
Chore list? You mean all the things I'm supposed to be doing instead of sitting here at the computer? Other than the usual cleaning house, cooking, and laundry? Emptying the front bedroom so it can have new paint and shelves for a sewing room, finishing seven quilts, pruning the privets in the yard, making a couple more batches of soap, moving stuff around on the patio to make room for sanding and painting shelves..... the list goes on and on and is never done. Maybe that is why I am sitting here procrastinating.....

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  09:48:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Okay-

Today is:
Do dishes
Fold and Put away Laundry
Vacuum house
Tidy sewing room
wash black tile
Water garden

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  5:55:09 PM  Show Profile
Uhhhgg!!! Chores! Usually I have a certain routine, but this week has been a little crazy! I am helping at Vacation Bible School at our Church --today I had to TEACH!! (Scary, but FUN!) I HAVE just been doing registration and helping with the snack we give the kids before they leave for the day, AND clean up, but.... today I got KICKED out of my "Comfort Zone." (hate it when that happens.....)

Anyway, my morning routine hasn't changed, it just happens much earlier so I can be in town by 8:00 am. First thing is to take the Chihuahua monsters outside to go potty. I feed the sheep, goats, horses, chickens, ducks, geese-- and the potbelly pig, Opal (if she's already up and asking for grub!). I'm also on kid watch-- I still have 3 does due (and apparantly I am WAY off on the due dates since one of them should have kidded LAST WEEK!) I don't have time to do any household chores or gardening before I have to leave, so I do all of that when I get home from VBS-- AFTER I take the chihuahua monsters out to potty and I take a nap! Boy do those kids wear me out!

Anyway, next week I should be back in my "groove" of --- Feeding critters, gardening, wash off the dirt I accumulate in the garden, clean the house, wash the dishes, sweep the floors, laundry, sweep the floors, wash the dishes, clean whatever else, sweep the floors, wash the dishes.... I have 3 teenage boys home all day right now. We live on a farm and its "Haying time." Need I say more?

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Rainier01
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Leslie
Eatonville WA
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  12:00:48 PM  Show Profile
Chores -- the neverending story -- My hat is off to all of you who regularly vacuum, mop, dust, and chase kidddies. My "kiddie" is all grown up and lives next door so her stuff is her own, except I do babysit my "grand-dog" when the daughter goes off to work, and that works great because he's company for my dog, too. My housework that gest done regularly: make the bed, police the litter boxes (5 cats), feed & water indoor critters, water houseplants, make the bed, do the dishes, wipe down counters and the appliances. After that -- if company calls and gives me enough lead time, I blitz the house, and otherwise it's whenever I can't stand it any more. Love to do the laundry and hang a wash on the line, and it usually gets put away that day/night.

Outside chores: water garden (I have a system of soak hoses), and hand water flower beds, feed ducks, chickens, goats, sheep, horses, and right now I have a "herd" of broiler chicks that are voracous and will be going out in their pen on the pasture pretty quick, which should help. Clean the stalls, weed, weed-whack and mow, pick and can or freeze fruit, go to town/feed store/store/post office/hardware store. Those last few plus various jobs as they occur. Projects coming up: fencing in at least two pasture areas for sheep & horses to rotate thru, broiler chicken pen, paint shop and garage and part of the house, get the tractor rebuilt and buy a brush hog, some sewing projects, some house fix up projects...later this summer there will be a lot of canning and freezing of the garden produce, apples, pears, blueberries, maybe peaches if the neighbor gets me some from Eastern WA, the chickens butcherd and frozen and some of them sold to friends and neighbors. Also getting a ram lamb who will be old enough to breed the sheep this fall for spring lambies. I'm expecting at least two to four bottle lambs who will be raised in the house (OMG indeed)...on and on. I have too much fun with outside chores to worry much about the housework, which has always been last on my list UNLESS I'm completely anxious and panicked, then I clean and scrub like a madwoman!

"It's Good, Clean, Dirt!"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  1:20:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Leslie- You sound like me! I try to keep the house tidy- but nooks and crannies might suffer- until company comes. Then I try to blitz the house! It always stresses me out so I am trying to manage the house a bit better. Maybe if I cleaned one room a day it would stay company ready?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

fionalovesshrek
True Blue Farmgirl

186 Posts

Paige
kinston North Carolina
USA
186 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  9:00:35 PM  Show Profile
Well, ideally I follow this list, which is in addition to the regular stuff like dishes and laundry and the afternoon 30 minute tidy that the boys kick in on.
Monday, mop
Tuesday, tubs toilets
Wednesday, windex/dust
Thursday, tubs toilets
Friday, laundry catch up, tidy up outside
Everyday my oldest does this
put away dishes in the morning, carry out trash, feet cat/dog/chickens, make his bed, help littles with their beds.
The second son does this
gather up dirty clothes from around the house, corraling them to the laundry area. Takes out the little trash cans, vacuums whichever room momma tells him to, makes bed
The third son does this
wipes down bathroom sinks, hangs up towels that are on floor, makes bed,tidies shoe shelf
and last but not least the littlest boy
throws away what momma hands him and says "garbage me", helps hang out laundry by passing me the next wet item.. .
In addition to all that, they help w/ sweeping, laundry folding and sorting and putting away, setting the table, clearing the table, gathering pinecones from the front yard, hauling in firewood, moving the coop. etc. And we STILL have time for homeschooling and baking?!? Yes, and I leave you with this thought I heard a few years ago "you do not have enough hours in the day to do what you want to do. You DO have enough hours in the day to do what GOD wants you to do"
P~

living a good neighbor life

www.fionaswampington.blogspot.com

http://homespunhensfarmgirlchapter.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

chickabella
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

D. A.
Austin... ish, Texas
177 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  07:30:44 AM  Show Profile
First chore of the day: get coffee. Drink plenty of it.

Seriously, however, it goes kinda like this:

Mornings -
Let out the geese & chickens to graze.
Feed & water animals, clean out goose wading pools.
Pick up pup poo, clean poultry bedding (if needed).
Walk pups around property perimeter (8 acres).
Feed & water self.
Check email, job hunt, write blog.
Hang out with pups, do some pup training.
Pick up the house. I save the "real cleaning" for the weekend when Spouse is available to pitch in.
Start on whatever other projects are pending.
When it starts getting hot, corral all animals into the shady pool pen.

Day -
until I get paying employment again, I do whatever projects are at hand. Today I'm putting extra shelving up in the pantry. Next big project is creating forms for raised vegetable garden beds (using cedar planks and making 4'x8'x12" forms).

Afternoon -
Once the shade is at a certain slant on the property, let the animals out of the shady pen for grazing and stretching.

Late Afternoon/Early Evenings -
Feed & water animals. Clean out goose wading pools.
Walk the pups around the property perimter. Do pup training.
At sunset, get everyone back into the primary pen.
Feed & water self.

Farm blog: http://farmnatters.blogspot.com
Tips blog: http://allingoodhealth.blogspot.com
Heart of Texas Farmgirls Chapter: www.maryjanesfarm.org/HenHouseSnitz/default.asp?CAT_ID=46
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Cleaning Up: Previous Topic What's your chore list like? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page