vermont v
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Victoria
Chester Vermont
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2009 :  11:46:49 AM  Show Profile

I had a big itchy patch of Excema on my leg. I was at the dermatologist for another reason and he told me only steroid cream would clear it up. I threw the RX away and used coconut oil on it twice a day for two weeks and it was gone. Put it on within three minutes of bathing for the best result; keeps the moisture in!
Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2009 :  1:56:42 PM  Show Profile
I can still see where my eczema outbreak was and it's been a month since I went to the dermatologist. I was told mine is stress related; however, I have never broken out when I am so stressed I just want to go to sleep for the rest of my life. Someone said something about a link between eczema and lupus. Has anyone heard that?

Life's a dance you learn as you go
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2009 :  5:05:11 PM  Show Profile
After a great summer and no trouble, I've broken out again. I've been doing a bit more dairy than usual and mom gave me some little snickers from halloween. Sigh. I know better. So I'm back looking through this link. I have some stinging nettle. The olive oil has been helpful on my legs, but my chest has flared. Feels like a rash. Tasha, I never got back to see your post and your offer. I'll try the stinging nettle first, but may take you up on that offer.

I'm so happy others have advice on this. I never realized how many others suffered with it.

Laurie

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

jillybean
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Jill
Halifax PA
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2009 :  7:37:28 PM  Show Profile
Bag Balm is excellent for eczema. I found it at CVS. It comes in a small green square tin. This is working for my 3 children. They all have it on their hands. My youngest also has it on her arms and legs.

There is an excellent post on Bag Balm on the Here's to your health forum under the title of cracked skin.

Hope this helps.

Jillybean
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2009 :  01:48:28 AM  Show Profile
Laurie - I'd be happy to send you a lotion bar to try. I make some for Sunshine's girls that has shea butter and olive oil with lavender and chamomile. She says it works great. Email me your address and I'll get it sent off.

Handmade Soap, Lotion Bars & More! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2009 :  6:52:56 PM  Show Profile
I used to get eczema all the time when I was little. I remember it ALWAYS flaring up around Christmas & Easter b/c of the chocolates, and for some reason, white chocolate made it that much worse. Maybe, after reading all this, it was the dairy?? Although I had plenty of milk & cheese & dairy products when I was a kid & I don't remember it having that much effect on me. I remember going to a doctor in the city when I was little & he gave me a prescription for some lotion/cream of some sort. It worked, but I have no idea what it was. Now, I only get it occasionally, again usually around Christmas. And the whole "don't scratch, it will make it worse" thing is so not true! I've tried NOT scratching & it is the exact same - it doesn't matter if you scratch or not, it's still itchy! Thankfully, I've mostly outgrown it {unless I've had lots of chocolate, excess sugar & lots of strawberries in some combination!}. But it's not something I want to ever re-live! My nephew had it when he was younger {he's 6 now} & I had a bunch of sites about the link btwn food & eczema, but my sister didn't really pay attention to it. And the sites are on my parents' computer. I hope everyone who has it clears up soon!

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2009 :  06:53:45 AM  Show Profile
My flare up from a few weeks back is under control again. For me I know it is dairy and snickers bars (mom had some from Halloween -the little ones yummy)I wasn't sure I was going to survive because when it gets that bad it can be months (read spring) before it gets better. This time I tried something different. On my chest which was broken out like a rash I used olive oil. Kept myself lathered up. My arm was a mess from me scratching with open cuts. I mixed up honey and olive oil and made a plaster. Took me a few days to get the wrap to cover it cause it is sticky, but the itch went away instantly! That was so wonderful. And of course through this, I changed my eating habits back to the basics. It took a couple of weeks, but the worst of it cleared up. I still have a little, but nothing compared to what it was. Now I try to keep the olive oil plastered on a few times a day and that seems to help. I only itch when I go to bed now and that I can deal with instead of all day. Best to everyone else dealing with it too. Laurie

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2009 :  2:09:35 PM  Show Profile
Im brand new to this eczema link, and I wanted to chime in!
I'm a Licensed Midwife , though currently on sabbatical. When my practice was full bore up and running, I stocked items from Uriel Pharmancy. They have a Rose Quartz Cream ( that's the name of it) that is the best I've ever seen for eczema and dermatitis. It just works wonders, and you don't have to use a ton. It is also good for chapped skin, diaper rash, and fissures such as may be caused by hemmerhoids. ( still can't spell that one after all thse yrs!) I wonder if it would help deep hand cracking , though I agree, the cuase of that is often due to dietary allergies or sometimes yeast. It you hit the timing right, it can also reduce poison oak rash by 80% in the early stage of the rash, before blisters appear. It costs $14 for a two ounce tube. They give you 20% off on orders of 5 or more items. I always sold at cost to help my clients. I mainly used allergy, cold, and skin care remedies from them.
~ Mary LD
Texas

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic What's good for Eczema? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page