Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  5:36:44 PM  Show Profile
My Grand daughter #2 has eczema on her one hand and a little on her foot, anyone know what is good for this?? She has had it since she was a baby, she is nine now. The cream from the DR. DOES VERY LITTLE.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  5:40:07 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Someone told me rub VICKS vapor rub on there...you could get the children's kind. Just a little goes a long way. I hope it clears up.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

MarySueK
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Susan
Richland WA
96 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  5:54:54 PM  Show Profile
My daughter gets little patches of eczema on her shoulder - I put a cream called Rex Eme on it and it seems to help. We had to mail order it, but probably cheaper than a prescription. Hope this helps!
Sue in Richland WA
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  7:00:51 PM  Show Profile
My daughter struggggggled with eczema. She's almost 16 now. She went completely off ALL dairy, even in shampoos and conditioners. As long as she stays completely away from dairy it stays cleared up. When she gets a little break out, she uses comfrey cream and it heals right up. I would hesitate to use anything with menthol in it because it would likely burn!

Farmgirl #208

What are you doing with your dash?
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  8:35:46 PM  Show Profile
I read recently that honey will help. I have not tried it, but it couldn't hurt.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2008 :  07:19:43 AM  Show Profile
Honey is used for burns and infections, it is certainly worth a try. If I find my homeopathy book, I'll look up excema and see what they suggest. Comfrey salve is probably a good one to try, it smells awful though and my children used to protest when I used that on them.Poor kiddo, hope she finds some relief.

I hope Jack and Dave are staying away from fireworks today. Have a lovely holiday, Nancy jo

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2008 :  08:42:32 AM  Show Profile
A friend of mine has psoriasis and vitamin E oil applied directly to the affected area has really helped. And stay away from Dairy products. My Nutritional Healing book as many different remedies but the Vitamin E oil has proved to be the best so far. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2008 :  09:23:18 AM  Show Profile
This is all very helpfull info. Poor little thing, she is the star pitcher on her softball team and when she is done with a game her hand is always split and bleeding. Glad to find out anything we can to see if we can clear this up, or at least make it some better. THANKYOU!!
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lilyblossom
True Blue Farmgirl

416 Posts

Donna
Evansville IN
USA
416 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2008 :  08:39:30 AM  Show Profile
My youngest daughter has suffered with eczema since birth. She uses Aqua-phor and Protopic (which is prescription). The aqua-phor really helps the dryness.

Donna...true blue KY farmgirl, farmgirl #86
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9329 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9329 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2008 :  10:02:08 AM  Show Profile
I find that the dairy is an issue just like others have said. For me I use tea tree and that helps well as does vitamin e. Nothing will cure it but this helps to keep it from flaring up.

Denise

farmgirl sister #43

"Take a lesson from the teakettle, though up to its
neck in hot water...it sings!"

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

clux64
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Celeste
Blair NE
USA
162 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2008 :  10:15:08 AM  Show Profile
My friends daughter gets boughts of eczema during the winter and our 'alternative Med' friend suggested daily doses of beat juice to stimulate the liver. Couldn't hurt to try.

--Celeste

Celeste

"No matter where you go, there you are"

--Confucious
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2008 :  2:02:25 PM  Show Profile
I've dealt with it most of my life. It gets worse when I have not been eating well, hmm, imagine. I tried olive oil for a bit, but I think there was something at the time keeping me from getting better. I usually flair when the little chocolates start showing up around the office. I have little self control when we work such crazy long hours. Doctors like to prescribe steroids, but after one try of that, I refuse them any more. Talk about emotional! Lots of water, warm to cool showers, not real hot ones, though those feel good at the time, the heat dries you out further. I use an aloe lotion by jasons. Most lotions are useless for me, but that one isn't bad. I can clear it with a simple diet for a while, brown rice, beans, veggies.

Good luck, I hope she learns to control the little she has before it gets out of control. It can be difficult when it is all over.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Em
True Blue Farmgirl

137 Posts

Emme
Carnation WA
137 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2008 :  9:43:00 PM  Show Profile
Most Dr's will tell you that ecxema is not diet related, but in our case it definitely was. I finally figured out kind of by accident that my son who had itchy spots in all his bendy parts (backs of knees, elbows,etc.), only got it after eating junk food...which I then figured out it was actually any kind of artificial coloring. Then for me, I had it on the palm of my right hand, little blisters that would break open and itch and really hurt. I figured out its a wheat sensitivity that never showed up on an allergy test. And oddly, the more whole grain it is, the worse my hand gets. So, I cut my wheat intake way back and my hand is completely fine now after about 15 years of dealing with it. So, you might start by looking at diet related allergies too to actually look for a cure rather than a cream to just soothe it.

Farmgirl Sister #138
http://www.LilBitCrunchy.blogspot.com

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows and poop out butterflies." -Horton Hears a Who
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  02:29:25 AM  Show Profile
I'm with Aunt Jenny
I had it so bad on my hands that I couldnt even bend my fingers without them cracking and bleeding.....Regular Dr's always gave me steriod based creams. I finally went to a natropathic Dr. He asked me to keep a food diary sheet for on week. After looking at my diary sheet, he told me that for me, I am allergic to tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, mushrooms, and eggplant. (all members of the nightshade family of plants) So I cut those out of my diet and IT IS GONE!!!

"learn to watch snails" SARK
Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2009 :  09:44:37 AM  Show Profile
I finally got to see my dermatologist yesterday because I have had the worst outbreak in my life recently. I also have severely dry skin. This has been going on since I was 16 and I am now in my mid 50s. It's not an every day thing. We can usually get it cleared up. My last bout was over 20 years ago, but it's such a bugger. My doctor said nothing with scent in it. Anything with a scent has alcohol and that's not a good thing. She told me to try this new Aveeno Advanced Care cream and body wash. Also, no scrubbies or wash clothes as that irritates skin. I will have to wait until I heal and see her again in 2 months before I can even think about exfoliation and shaving my legs has been pretty tricky. Right now I'm broken out on both legs, both arms, my back and sides. I scratch in my sleep and it gets bright red and looks like I've been burned. I will pray for the little ones because I know it ain't no fun as my grandma would say.

Life's a dance you learn as you go
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2009 :  09:57:04 AM  Show Profile
I've had eczema flareups since I was 13, some worse than others.

When it's very bad I put oatmeal (yup plain old oatmeal)in a wash cloth and tie it off with an elastic to create a pouch and use that in the bath or shower to squeeze on my skin helps a lot.

I've also switched soaps, I've been using Kiss My Face olive oil soap and that's really helped. I've also found most handmade soaps to be very gentle. Also the Kiss My Face brand of lotions are pretty gentle.

Other than that lots of water, take oils internally (i.e. Omega oils), up the vitamin C intake as well, avoid processed stuff as much as possible.

I've had cortisteriod creams all along and while they kind of calm things down they certainly don't do much else and they thin the skin.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2009 :  10:07:35 AM  Show Profile
Nancy,

I make a healing salve that consists of chamomile and calendula infused virgin olive oil, coconut oil, shea butter, rosemary essential oil and bits of rosemary and just a tad of beeswax. All natural no preservatives or coloring.

Chamomile and calendula is very soothing....

If you would like me to send a sample jar let me know your address either here or via e-mail and I will get that out to you toot sweet!

Melody
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2009 :  07:15:44 AM  Show Profile
Nancy, sorry for your granddaughter. One of my little girls also gets eczema on her legs and arms terribly. For her, totally plain castile soap only on the 'major wash spots' (in other words, not all over!!) every few days seems to keep it under control. When I was trying to bathe and wash her all over every day it was sooo much worse. Moisturize the trouble spots right after patting dry to hold in any moisture. Avoid fragranced products, etc. Shea butter, hempseed, and borage can help as well.

I hope she gets to feeling better soon, and pitching like an all-star! Good luck!

The Biz www.tvalahandmade.com
The Blog: http://blog.tvalahandmade.com/
The Bits www.happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2009 :  08:02:27 AM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
I agree with the others who have mentioned to get rid of all dairy. I too get psoriasis and eczema mostly in the winter as I have an allergy to cold. Stress seems to bring it out as well. I cut out all dairy and also use Stinging Nettle. Nettle is an herb that has amazing anti-inflammatory and anti histamine like properties. I began using it for my seasonal allergies in the fall and it works like a dream. Also, you can try a Chamomile cream or Chamomile tea. :)

From what I have read and studied, steroid based creams may clear the patches up short term, but they usually will come back and be somewhat worse the next time. When I used steroid creams in the past, my patches always came back.

Blessings....
Sarah

www.mustangsuzie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  06:40:06 AM  Show Profile
My youngest (now 21!) had terribl eczema on her feet when she was little. She still tends to have it sometimes. We found that Cetaphil Cream (in the jar) worked really well. Its greasy and you should wear socks with it, but it really helped. One thing that seamed to set it off was neighbors using sprays and things on their yards.

Jana
Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2009 :  10:09:50 AM  Show Profile
I've also been using the Wal-Mart brand of Eucerine cream. It's really thick. Steroid creams over a long period of time will thin the skin and make it very delicate, so I try not to use that too much. I'm feeling better with the therapy the doctor has given me. I miss the "smelly" body washes, but if this is what it takes, then so be it. Also, I'm going to be very religious about my sunscreen this year. Before, it's always been slapdash but hubby and I have agreed that maybe if I treat my skin well, it will quit rebelling.

Life's a dance you learn as you go
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2009 :  10:50:32 AM  Show Profile
I am convicted in using kombucha. Zoe has psoriasis and kombucha is the only thing I've used that did anything. Topically I keep my kids nice and moist, but most skin ailments-despite what a doctor is going to tell you-are internal ailments, generally a GI imbalance. Degory has psoriasis too (Rob has it and I have eczema. Grace also has slight eczema.) Kombucha and kefir have both shown to drastically reduce- and in Zoe's case-outright eliminate the skin maladies.

HTH!!

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
Farmgirl Sister #88

Blogs:
http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
Etsy:
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com

"Joyful chaos, working in tune with the seasons, telling itme by the sun, variety, change and self-direction; all this wwas replaced with a brutal, standardized work culture, the effects of which we are still suffering from today." - Tom Hodgkinson in 'How To Be Idle'
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2009 :  06:35:31 AM  Show Profile
I really, really just want to scream. I'm so tired of being itchy which causes me to be frustrated and agry and short with people. I broke down and bought some cortizone creme this weekend. Had a major outbreak and couldn't get it back under control and would not stop itching. I hate buying the stuff, but I've tried so many things. I'm sure I ate something last week that set me off as eczema is linked to allergies. I just wish I knew what it was. Every time I think I have it under control... bang. *sigh*

I did try emu oil. It was amazing for the dry skin and helped with the lighter breakout issue. The cat loves it too. She found the bottle and licked the cap clean before I could get it from her. Then she realized it was on my hands. Quite entertaining.

How are you preparing the Kombachu? I haven't tried that yet and am willing. MY trouble is to stop the itching when I've broken out long enough to get it back under control, which happens with lots of water and simple diet again. Some day I need an allergy test. My breakouts have gotten worse as the years go and some days I just want to curl up and take all my skin off.

Laurie

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2009 :  06:56:21 AM  Show Profile
Laurie, you need a kombucha mushroom to make the tea. google search kombucha and you'll find more info than you'll know what to do with!

Tasha-Rose
Farmgirl Sister #88

Blogs:
Etsy:

"Joyful chaos, working in tune with the seasons, telling itme by the sun, variety, change and self-direction; all this wwas replaced with a brutal, standardized work culture, the effects of which we are still suffering from today." - Tom Hodgkinson in 'How To Be Idle'
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2009 :  07:40:18 AM  Show Profile
Does it help with the itching?

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2009 :  08:06:44 AM  Show Profile
it does. the sores all go away so there is no itching! I have some VERY HEALTHY kombucha mushrooms, send me your address and I'll send you one.

Tasha-Rose
Farmgirl Sister #88

Blogs:
Etsy:

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic What's good for Eczema? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page