Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 A way to put chai tea in melt and pour soap??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic A way to put chai tea in melt and pour soap?? Next Topic  

Yogifarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jenn
Swiftwater PA
USA
297 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  1:10:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Yogifarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I am obsessed with chai tea but am a bit nervous about venturing into making soap with lye. I have a melt and pour goats milk soap base and wanted to know if there was a way I could add different teas to the soap to give it a nice smell and beneficial qualities like camomile and peppermint and chai....any ideas or thoughts?

Thanks
Jenn

www.sundariyoga.com

"Breathe in the Sunshine"

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2247 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2247 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  1:30:46 PM  Show Profile
I don't think you should add more liquid to melt and pour soap but you could add powdered herbs or the spices that are used in chai. You could also use the equivalent essential oils or fragrance oils if you don't want the gritty texture that the herbs and spices would give.

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  1:51:37 PM  Show Profile
Chai tea contains cinnamon, cloves, pepper, and cardamom, all of which could be a skin irritant. It would be better to find a skin safe fragrance oil that you could use.

Diana
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!
Go to Top of Page

Yogifarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jenn
Swiftwater PA
USA
297 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  2:05:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Yogifarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I didn't really want to use a synthetic frangrance oil but might be the only way...unless I just buck up and learn to make real soap from scratch...lol

www.sundariyoga.com

"Breathe in the Sunshine"
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  4:18:37 PM  Show Profile
Hey...I was just over at the Marketplace where QueenofQuiteAlot posted about her new Farmhouse Kitchen Soap.... I checked out her website and noticed that she had made a chai soap (that is currently sold out)...maybe she has a few pointers for you. I've toyed with making soap but I certainly don't need "another" hobby. Good luck!

I am grateful. I have enough.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  11:42:28 PM  Show Profile
Oregon Trail Soap Supplies has an excellent chai tea fragrance oil. They have very high quality oils. It is very strong though so you should only use a little bit. Normal amount is 1 tbsp per lb of melt and pour soap base. I would use half that for the chai tea fragrance.

Handmade Soap and More! - http://www.therusticcottagebath.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

PROUD FARMGIRL SISTER #100
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic A way to put chai tea in melt and pour soap?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page