Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 StrangleVine, Common Mallow, FoxGlove
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic StrangleVine, Common Mallow, FoxGlove Next Topic  

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  7:28:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh My!

My poor neglected rental garden. The roses are being choked out and I think the weeds are laughing at me since I haven't been out there for a few days. I filled up half of a round dumpster with yard waste that was either growing (the weeds) or dead rose canes that someone clipped but never hauled away.

Other than the "pull till they give up and die" method and the "put enough layers of cardboard down till they choke out and die" method, anyone have any success at killing stranglevine? It's the wild morning glory relative that is absolutely hideously invasive. Pretty, but destructive. Vinegar is working great on the Common Mallow. I just poured some on straight.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  05:51:44 AM  Show Profile
We call it bindweed here, Alee. I have been pulling it for 8 years. So, no. :) It seems the more I pull it, the more it comes back, and I always try to make sure to the get the root, but, as you know, it's trailing underground, so there's always more....

Good luck--I just go out after a rain and get going on it!!!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  08:00:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Ugh. We had that stuff in Idaho as well and it drove me BATTY! I guess I am going just have to try and pull a bit each day!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  6:56:13 PM  Show Profile
We are totally infected with morning glory. The roots can go for miles it seems. I spoke with a master gardener around here and she said if you pull it, it just stimulates the root system and makes it worse. You can clip it at the base as the new starts come up, you can sterilize the soil, you can get a backhoe and strip the topsoil and put down new, or... you can move. Those are the options I have found to combat it.

It drives me BONKERS!!! There are places in my yard that I just let it climb and look like it is supposed to be there. Live with it or move. That's my motto. Because I sure don't have the time or energy to find every tiny little start and clip it. If I sterilize the soil, I'd have to kill every good thing in my yard.

Farmgirl #208

What are you doing with your dash?
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  7:58:51 PM  Show Profile
We have bindweed here in IL. I volunteer at Morton Arboretum and the staff person in charge of our group is deliberately letting bindweed grow on stakes in one of the gardens. He is going to try different methods to see what is the most effective in killing it for good. I'll let you know what the results are when he's done experimenting.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2008 :  3:19:41 PM  Show Profile
Bindweed is rampant here, too. I couldn't fight it in a regular garden, so I had to build raised beds on top of a heavy weed fabric. I spray the ones that come out of my rock wall with vinegar and it will slow them down and kill it off for a little while. But the grass also turns brown and the vinegar treatment only last a few weeks. You know that crazy gardening guy in WA, I think his name is Cisco or something? He said you have to be consistent in spraying the bindweed with vinegar (every time it pokes it's head above the soil) and after a few years it will finally give up.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic StrangleVine, Common Mallow, FoxGlove Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page