Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Anyone know what kind of tree/bush this is??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Anyone know what kind of tree/bush this is?? Next Topic  

Carrie W
Farmgirl Legend/Chapter Guru

437 Posts

Saratoga Springs New York
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  09:27:45 AM  Show Profile
I have this growing in the corner of my garden. Last year it got real tall, like a tree about 5 feet tall, and put out some dark colored clusters of berries. It may be something my kids stuck in the garden and forgot about...I don't know. I cut it down and we didnt eat the berries. Now, here it is again this year!!! What if it is edible??? I don't want to waste it.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii113/carriem89/Mysterytree.jpg[/IMG]

Anyone know what it might be????

Thanks,
Carrie

www.totallykadeshfarm.blogspot.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing

Edited by - Carrie W on Jul 02 2008 09:30:02 AM

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  09:40:28 AM  Show Profile
Hey, Carrie! I am sure one of the other farmgals will have the absolute correct answer but I think it is elderberry. I have it cropping up here and there in my Norfolk garden and I HATE it! Maybe the birds drop seeds, but it is really difficult to hack out the root base once it gets established. Good luck on getting the "real deal" answer!
Go to Top of Page

dandsfarms
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Sandy
Boerne Texas
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  09:41:38 AM  Show Profile
It looks like what is called poke salad. You can eat the green leaves (do not eat the berries) but it is VERY TOXIC in the raw state. You have to bring it to a boil 3 times draining and rinsing each time. It is good but I do not know if it is worth the trouble. Spinach, Kale, and so many other greens are easier and non toxic.
Go to Top of Page

dandsfarms
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Sandy
Boerne Texas
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  09:47:52 AM  Show Profile
Elderberry leaves are usually smaller and is like a small tree or bush having a more woody trunk. Elderberries make good syrup and is even used for a cold remedy. To be sure, take a leaf and picture to you local nursery they should be able to tell you what it is. If it is poke salad you want to make sure your kiddos don't take a bite.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  09:49:51 AM  Show Profile
yep, POKE...it's actually the name of a band my husband plays in, because of how prolific they grow in this area, especially around our fenceline! I understand you can eat it, but it's never been something I've wanted to try. The roots on those things are AMAZING!!!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  10:05:47 AM  Show Profile
It looks like poke weed to me. It isn't worth all the trouble you have to go through to make it edible. :) Plus, if you don't prepare it correctly, well... But, it is pretty to look at!

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
www.madrekarin.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  10:17:54 AM  Show Profile
yep I agree here as well, looks like poke salad to me. We have alot of it grow in the field and yes its hard to get rid of once it takes root. Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10 http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2324 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2324 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  7:33:52 PM  Show Profile
Looks like poke to me, too. We had it mysteriously appear in our yard about five years ago.

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W
Farmgirl Legend/Chapter Guru

437 Posts

Saratoga Springs New York
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  10:48:58 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, gals!!! You're wonderful!

Nancy, I have elderberry growing in another spot that I planted ON PURPOSE :) and this is definately different. It has reached this height (five feet) in only a few weeks. It's "trunk" is like a tree's and it is very difficult to cut down. I let it go in case I found out it was edible but now, according to the agreement of the vast majority here, it is not anything I want to harvest!

Here I go a hacking!

Thanks ladies-
carrie

www.totallykadeshfarm.blogspot.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2008 :  5:30:53 PM  Show Profile
Pokeweed-we get it all over out here.

Speaking of which-anyone know any good ways of getting rid of it??

Jennifer
Farmgirl Sister #104

"Nature brings to every time and season some beauties of its own".
-Charles Dickens
Go to Top of Page

AliShuShu
True Blue Farmgirl

150 Posts

Alison
Charlotte NC
USA
150 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2008 :  6:21:14 PM  Show Profile  Send AliShuShu an AOL message  Send AliShuShu a Yahoo! Message
i pull them up by the root... if you grab ahold of it at the base... close to the ground, it will come up, root & all... much easier after a good rain when the ground is soft... if you hack it down, it will come back again & again. they're all over here too...

Alison
I think that if ever a mortal heard the voice of God it would be in a garden at the cool of the day. ~F. Frankfort Moore, A Garden of Peace
Namaste'
www.shumusings.com
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Anyone know what kind of tree/bush this is?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page