Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  7:22:24 PM  Show Profile
Dear Hotties, I am back! Hurricane Ike has been a nightmare for our town. My own home was not damaged but my parents' home flooded as did so many others here. My parents have lost almost everything. I am trying to help with washing clothing and linens as fast as possible to try to save them, and helping to get all the damaged furniture and household items out of the house so the carpet can come up. All the furniture is lost,as is pictures, books, etc. Everywhere you go in our area you see people and their belongings out in their yards.Thankfully on the second day a cool front came in, so at least it is not very hot here right now. My power was restored yesterday and my phone and internet this afternoon.I am sharing what I have with my family and neighbors who have lost so much. I will be busy in the next few days, so I'll only be here some of the time. I do want to say in true farmgirl fashion, I have worn my apron everyday while cleaning out the house, and even found a few minutes to stitch on my September project!

Thank you all for your prayers and concern. Please continue to pray for my parents, this is so hard at their age to see everything gone and so much work ahead (the paperwork for FEMA and insurance claims, oh my!).
I'm going to bed now..see ya'll tomorrow!

Caron

"The heavens declare the glory of God, and the firmament sheweth His handiwork" Psalm 19:1

Farmgirl Sister #254
Heart of Texas Farmgirl Chapter
Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  7:56:07 PM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
I was worried!!! Thank God you're okay, Caron! I am so saddened to ehar about your parents house. I know they appreciate a daughter like you helping them.

We need to get this Hurricane Fund going!!!

~~~~
http://maggie.ecrater.com (My Online Store)
http://maggiemerch.blogspot.com (Store Blog)
http://www.myspace.com/hh_reiki (My Healing Website)
http://www.myspace.com/brookealyson (Come listen to my music!)
Go to Top of Page

JILLSEWSIT
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

JILL
RACINE WI
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  8:21:47 PM  Show Profile
Catscharm and TexasFarmgal & Caron, Thank you all for help. We, my husband and & I, checked out The Blue Moon; wound up reserving for a cabin on Medina Lake called Artisan's cottage. We've rented in Wimberly; a little city right next dor to Wimberly, Rio Raft in Sattler. As of now, there are no communities for us 'boomers'.Canyon Lake had a group, a little older. Nice & all, but I guess the plan was to move on. We've always gone to Austin, Wimberly, Fredericksburg, Gruene, Luckenbach, Kyle. We will be in new territory; ages ago I lived in San Anton, Houston and El Paso. That's why stay in Texas. WI. winters are unbearable as I age and think about hibernating, too.
I do not even want to think about how I'll feel about not being around our 7 month old first grandson and his mom and dad. The winters are so unbearable. Last winter,I knit a sweater for Andrew Joseph. I'll find a way to cope.
Again, thank you all, especially for the Fredericksburg website.

Jillsewsit
Jill willett
Go to Top of Page

Quintessential Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Kate
Tyler TX
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2008 :  05:44:31 AM  Show Profile
Caron,
I am sooooo sorry about your folks loss! If I may ask, how young are your parents? I ask because I know that may Mama, who is 85 has a house full of memories that can't be replaced. Thankfully they have you to help them through this tough time. What can we, your farmgirl sisters, do to help you? I know we are spread out all over Texas...but we can lend you a hand. I have some photo frames I will send you when you are ready. You can make copies of some of your precious photos.....and hopefully be able to replace some of their memories. I know that seems trivial at the moment....but you let me know when you are ready and they will be on the way. And please....let us know what we can do to help you.
You and your parents are, and will remain in my thoughts and prayers.
Hugs....and you hang in there honey,
Kate

Heart of Texas
Chapter
AKA: Hot Farmgirl #234
http://quintessentialkate.blogspot.com

Today is my best day!
Go to Top of Page

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2008 :  08:20:55 AM  Show Profile
Caron, I am so glad you posted and to hear that you are safe and sound. I will be prayin for your parents. Alot of work to be done and I will pray, so much devestation! hugs

AngiKay-farmgirl sister #301
www.angikay.etsy.com
Heart of TX chapter
Be strong and Courageous. Jos. 1:9

Texas 4H! http://texas4-h.tamu.edu/
Go to Top of Page

The Midwife
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Kay
Fort Worth Texas
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2008 :  11:51:01 AM  Show Profile
Caron:

Our family, children and all, will be praying for you and your parents. I know how much photos, books, and family heirlooms mean to me, and I can only imagine what you all must be feeling right now. We will be praying for the Lord's comfort, and for His strength to face each new day. And for your's and your parents health...as I know that physical trauma can lead to an serious upset in your physical health. Hang in there and know you are not alone.
k

ps...I must confess that I have been floating between three hand projects this month.....the pillowcases that I mentioned previously, quilting, and applique on Sunbonnet Sue quilt blocks that I started sometime in the past two years. So....I am trying!!!

If God throws you a curve ball, don't duck. You just might miss a great blessing
Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2008 :  4:13:22 PM  Show Profile
Hotties, thank you all for your support and prayers. I know this is helping us to get through this event! Kate thank you for the offer of the photo frames. I will ask my Mom if she would like some frames and I'll let you know what she says. Today I threw out years of photo albums, it was so sad to do. Also (and this dates me I know) the photo of me as a baby in a frame attached with my bronzed baby shoes. If you were born in the 50's like I was, these were common items in homes then.
I'm still washing clothes, and I think today we finally cleared out all of the lower cabinets or shelves that was still full of water and wet items.Some things are ready to be washed and some things were thrown away.
Tomorrow we will start packing the now-washed or saved items into big plastic tubs and store them all in one room that we have cleared out and have put a tarp down on the floor.
We still have a couple of lower dresser drawers we need to bust up to get open, they are swollen shut right now.
But I actually feel we are making progress!
My parents looked better today. They are both in their late 70's and this has been quite a ordeal for them both emotionally and health-wise. But we're getting there,they seemed more upbeat today, and I'm trying to talk a lot about remodeling and decorating which really interests my mom! LOL!
Hotties, keep working on your handwork for this month! We're over halfway through September!
I'll talk with ya'll tomorrow!

Caron

"The heavens declare the glory of God, and the firmament sheweth His handiwork" Psalm 19:1

Farmgirl Sister #254

Edited by - Caron on Sep 18 2008 4:15:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2008 :  05:00:06 AM  Show Profile
Caron - I am thinking of you. I have been reading this thread, and just know that my heart goes out to you, and you are doing a great job of being upbeat and strong. I know I am not a Texas farmgirl, but from a Florida farmgirl, prayers are still coming your way.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2008 :  6:16:53 PM  Show Profile
Hello Hotties! Today I washed all the cookware and bakeware in the kitchen. The plates and drinking glasses were o.k. because they were up high enough that the water didn't get to them. The power was turned back on, so I had hot water! Yippee! I also put a splash of bleach in each sink of water just for a little more cleanliness.
Now we will pack them down and put them with the other things we have cleaned and can save. And,of course more clothes were washed today.
The washeteria opened up so we rushed down there with some of our heavy bags of wet clothes and washed up several loads. Plus my mom got out two galvenized tubs she used for..well, I don't know what exactly... and hand washed some things. She didn't like the tubs but I adored them! They looked so farmgirl, and I told her "see,the old ways come around again". LOL!
Rain is forcast for tomorrow so I'm not sure what we will work on then.
Some people who have their belongings out in their yards are having to put signs up asking people not to take their stuff. Hard to believe people would steal from others during times like these, but they will.
Another gruesome thing: some in the cemetery had to be re-buried. That's all I'll say on that.
My sister is spending the night with me one more night then she has to return to Houston. School resumes on Monday and she is an aide there.
I'm looking forward to receiving the Oct/Nov issue of the MaryJane magazine! Our mail was delivered today for the first time. Maybe the magazine will come tomorrow.

More tomorrow!
Caron

Farmgirl Sister #254
Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  2:05:05 PM  Show Profile
Drats Ya'll! Our post office is not delivering any magazines any time soon,only mail! I'm going to miss my Oct/Nov issue of MaryJane's Farm!

Ya'll enjoy it for me and tell me what all is in it, o.k.?

Caron

Farmgirl Sister #254
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  2:35:51 PM  Show Profile
You can have that next issue of MJF to look forward to!!!!! :)

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  7:22:29 PM  Show Profile
That's true...I look forward to all of them!

Caron

"The Lord is my strength and my shield;my heart trusts in Him" Psalms 29:7

Farmgirl Sister #254
Go to Top of Page

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  1:50:05 PM  Show Profile
Caron, Still praying for your family. It saddens me to know photos were lost. I know you are working so hard to make progress. You will be restored!

AngiKay-farmgirl sister #301
www.angikay.etsy.com
Heart of TX chapter
Be strong and Courageous. Jos. 1:9

Texas 4H! http://texas4-h.tamu.edu/
Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  2:27:58 PM  Show Profile
Hello Hotties, and thank you for your continued thoughts and prayers! Today we did some more packing of clothes and kitchen items in the big plastic tubs. Then My nephew and his friend came over and we got them to move two more big heavy furniture pieces out to the garage and patio.One piece is saveable (kitchen table),the other one (Sideboard) may be saveable, not sure on that one. Actually I see mold and splitting on it already. Now there are only about 4 more furniture pieces in there (dressers), and they are not saveable, so they will need to come out in the next day or two. The grandfather clock appears to be o.k. I don't see any splitting on the bottom in the wood, or mold setting in, so maybe a little mimwax stain to refresh it and it will be good. We'll see.
Tomorrow some steam cleaners are coming to clean the tile floors of the mud still caked on them. We could mop the floors a few (hundred, or it would seem like hundred)times to get them clean ourselves, but we are just too tired.Instead we are gladly hiring someone to do it. Next is ripping out the sheetrock walls and insulation. We probably will hire someone for that also.
Following that,the kitchen cabinets will be ripped out as well as the bathroom cabinets. Then rebuilding can begin!
Still nothing form FEMA or the insurance adjuster. My Dad is putting everything on one credit card so he will have a record of all he has spent to show the insurance people.
Yesterday we went and bought a bed for my parents to sleep in, They had been using my inflatable mattress, but those mattresses lose air no matter what you do, and just are not comfortable after a while. Last night they slept better, they said. My Dad had an office built over the garage and they are living in there until it is safe to move back downstairs.
Tomorrow, while my Dad stays for the cleaners, my Mom and I are taking a day off and going to just look around in the stores at the Mall,just to get away for a little while. Maybe look at some furniture in the furniture stores too.

Caron

Farmgirl Sister #254
Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  2:30:38 PM  Show Profile
Oh, forgot the best part! Deep in the back of a drawer that did not get wet, I found a few photos including some of my grandmothers! Woo-Hoo!

Caron

Farmgirl Sister #254
Go to Top of Page

Quintessential Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Kate
Tyler TX
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  05:29:02 AM  Show Profile
Hey Caron,
You might have mentioned it...but this thread is sooooo long and I have a couple of lazy bones in my body today...(too lazy to go back and read it all), anyhoo, I'm curious how deep the water got in your folks house? 3 to 4 feet?? More???? I have seen some pics from here and there....and the devastation is heart wrenching. I saw a photo of the cemetary that you made reference to....what an awful sight to see....especially for those who have loved ones "resting" there.
Offer's still good for frames......and I will keep them here for as long as needed. I KNOW that your priorities are not at the decorating point...but just know when you have FINALLY arrived at the joyful point where you are not cleaning, sorting and throwing away, and are setting up house, I have frames for you ....all sizes.
I am glad that you and your Mom are taking a day off from the insanity. Often we become so immersed in something like this that we forget to take care of ourselves....and that can take a toll on ones physical health as well as MENTAL health. Go out and shop....and linger over a nice lunch.....
As always....my thoughts and prayers are with you and yours.
Hugs.....I'm talking BIG HUGS,
Sister Kate

Heart of Texas
Chapter
AKA: Hot Farmgirl #234
http://quintessentialkate.blogspot.com

Today is my best day!
Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  07:49:51 AM  Show Profile
Kate, I think my parents got 3 feet of water in the home and 4 feet of water in the garage area. I know others in different areas around here got even more!
Today the floors will be cleaned, and tomorrow I have a promise of help to rip out sheetrock and insulation. I hope so, the smell is getting stronger, and mold is beginning to show up in every room. Gross....

Caron

Farmgirl Sister #254
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  4:35:20 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Caron,
A couple of things, and maybe I missed them in all the conversation so forgive me if you have already said it. 1) What colors are your mom's favorite if we wanted to send little house "drying" things, to help her re-decorate?,2) also SO if I were to buy a MJ magazine and send it to you in a vanilla envelope, it would get to you, right? If it is that easy then consider it done, I will email you for your address, then when your other one comes just "pay it forward"...

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Mae West

Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2008 :  07:19:23 AM  Show Profile
Rene, she likes tropical that has some greens in it but also some black in it (hard to describe but it's not so much the blues, greens aquas but darker tropicals )
Yes if you could send me the current issue in a envelope they would deliver it to me. That would be wonderful and I'd appreciate it so much! I went to a bookstore but they didn't have any deliveries of it, didn't know when they would get magazines again.
Email me and I'll send you my address!

Thanks!
Caron
P.S. Sheetrock is being taken out of my parents home as I type this. I am so glad it's coming out and the mold being brought under control!

Farmgirl Sister #254
Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2008 :  06:48:04 AM  Show Profile
Hotties, I'm happy to report things are coming along well. Yesterday the sheetrock and cabinets were removed so now all the damaged areas are cleaned out. Now the long restoration begins. Still no insurance adjuster but a front man for him came out and got an idea of the damage. He discussed with my Dad what was covered and what was not and gave him a small advance on his settlement.It will get things started, though.

One good thing is, my Mom will get to re-design the kitchen whose layout has never been very funtional! We women in the family are looking forward to that! *smile*

How are you doing on your handwork? September is almost over and I'd say I only have about a third of mine done.
But I worked on it last night and will work on it some more tonight.
I think I have our October project in mind, you'll find out about it soon!

Caron

Farmgirl Sister #254
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2008 :  06:50:16 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Caron, can you send me an addy where I can send a little something? Thanks. Glad to hear things are coming together for you and your family. I wish hubby was here because I would drive down for the weekend and help you. I haven't even started my cross stitch with school, Charlie and my internship, it got lost. : )

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2008 :  06:50:18 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, Heather!

Caron

Farmgirl Sister #254
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2008 :  07:04:58 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Caron- my pleasure. Thought I didn't lose everything I own to a hurricane, I have been there and had to basically start over. I remember the outpouring of generosity from people- everthing from furniture, clothing, even coupons for restaraunts, stores and personal items. I will try to get something out next week or after that. (((HUGS))))

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2008 :  06:58:04 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Hotties! Our October project for our Heart of Texas Farmgirls is to do a little fall cleaning in our homes! The holidays are upon us and we will each probably be having family and friends in our homes at some point. So before the holidays, begin lets spruce up our homes a bit so we don't have to do that so much during the busy days of November and December!
I'll be sending room focuses and assignments throughout the month.I may even have a contest at some point.
So, get ready to organize some things, throw away some things, and make your home a comfortable place as we head into Thanksgiving and Christmas!

Caron

Farmgirl Sister #254
Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2008 :  08:48:01 AM  Show Profile
Hello Hotties! We will begin on our rooms focus next Monday. Until then, do you carry a purse? If so, today is clean-out-your-purse day. Go deep, all the way to the bottom, and get out those receipts for who-can-remember-what, linty blobs that used to be candy, and coins that escaped from your coin purse.
I usually use one purse all summer and another all winter so a lot of stuff ends up in the bottom of my purses.Clean it out Hotties,and your hand will no longer be afraid to go in there!

Caron

Farmgirl Sister #254
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic Texas Chapter? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page