Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Are you working on Christmas?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Are you working on Christmas? Next Topic
Page: of 2

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  7:37:36 PM  Show Profile
I wish MY husband would appriciate the stuff you've made for YOURS Clare! I could make them for him, but he's such a messy mess-maker that he'd lose it all, or never even use it! Husband is SOOOO hard to find gifts for. He HATES everything I buy him. Any one ELSE have a husband like that?

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  08:09:28 AM  Show Profile
You gals have some of the best ideas! Still trying to figure out what to get the guys. I know cash is always the right fit and the right color, but I'd like to put something with it that would be usefull and fun, but not clutter. Maybe show passes or zoo passes. Still just kicking ideas around.

Jennifer, I'm actually a member of free cycle, but had never thought about asking for jars! Wow!
Wonder if anyone would have old glass snuff glasses? They make the neatest candle jars, because of the way the flame throws the pattern on the ceiling.

Farmgirls don't have hot flashes ~ They have power surges!
Go to Top of Page

MsSadie
True Blue Farmgirl

80 Posts

SD
Texas
USA
80 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2008 :  3:18:57 PM  Show Profile
I so love homemade gifts and even treasures found at a yard sale are something I sure do love to get and give. Candles in china teacups are a good idea. Just look for pretty cups at the thrift stores or Goodwill. Make a candle in it and tie with vintage ribbon on the handle where it will be out of the way of the wick. The newest edition of Somerset Life has some DARLING pincushions made from vintage baby shoes! (on page 90) In the same magazine are altered aprons using bits of old needlework. And I can hardly wait for the next edition of Mary Janes Farm! Its so inspiring.

http://artsyetc2.blogspot.com/
http://www.pbase.com/sadie04
Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2008 :  9:33:06 PM  Show Profile
From Erin, I received the peanut butter popcorn recipe. That would be fun to put in the guys' baskets! We made white chocolate popcorn last year. Yum! So good and quick!

Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2008 :  07:03:09 AM  Show Profile
Bonne, I love your cat!

As for Christmas, last year I made a cd for everyone. I started early and asked everyone about a song that reminded them of childhood. I put all the songs on the cd and put the stories on the back cover. It was a big hit and talk about a variety of music, from my 7 year old great niece to my 90 year old grandfather. I've done the calendar thing before and am due again. my brother gave one out one year. i need to finish a quilt I started a few years ago for my dad. he's always the hardest. This year I made up extra strawberry jam and put decorative labels on them. The local coffee shop has hand bags that they make from the left over bean bags. I may break down and buy 1 for the girls.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

moxieblossom
True Blue Farmgirl

121 Posts

USA
121 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2008 :  3:35:05 PM  Show Profile
The hubby and I have just started talking about what we're going to do for Christmas this year. We're on a budget so we're going to try to remove our names from the traditional name-drawing that our family normally does (which can easily run $100 a person) and just do as much as we can homemade. Typically we do the name-drawing AND do gift baskets for everyone... this year we're just going to do baskets-on-a-budget. ;)

For the females, I'll make each of them some jewelry since I already have a ton of artisan beads and findings. My mother-in-law will also get a hand-knitted armwarmer/gauntlet or two, as she likes to wear them to keep her arms from bruising while she does housework.

The men are slightly more difficult, thankfully there's a bit of tradition there. One always gets a funny comic-a-day calendar, one always gets homemade cookies, and one always gets a gag gift of some sort.

Each person's gift goes into a bag/basket that's filled with Christmas candy, apples, oranges, pears, and a homemade ornament. It takes a bit of coordination to get everything done, but people seem to LOVE the baskets with their special gifts.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Farmgirl Sister #242
http://vintage-moxie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  07:16:33 AM  Show Profile
I like the idea of a personalized ornament for everyone, but not sure I could get that done ~ maybe though! Have you ever made or seen the canning jars, painted with a decal on them, decorated and a votive candle set in the top? (Whew! lot to describle!) They're pretty and I helped the younger kids make them one year. (okay, my point), I have some of those clear, glass Christmas balls - what if a put the decal on them and then decorated to tops with ribbons for the girls, I have some Victorian Rose decals that would look pretty with lace and ribbons/and for the guys I could use some of the fishing decals and decorate the tops with jute or something. Do you think it would work? Then with a sharpie, I could put their names and date on the back. Those would go together pretty quick. (BTW ~ the younger boys at home are going to make the wind chimes from old silverware this year! Thanks, MaryJane!)

We tell the kids not to buy for us each year! Pictures of the grandkids are a welcome gift. I don't like debt, especially not for Christmas. I don't like gifts for the sake of gifts, so why would I want someone to "waste" money they probably need for something else. Rather, Christmas should bring families together (without the stress of having to have the perfect gift).

We have talked about celebrating Chanukah this year, as we are trying to teach the younger kids about the Bibical feasts. But there again Chanukah isn't actually a Bibical feast in the sense Passover, First Fruits, etc. are.

I want the holiday to be fun for everyone, meaningful, and a time of joy. Translation - good food, lots of family with activities the kids enjoy. One year we planned a hayride between dinner time and time to open presents/have dessert. On one holiday, we had our (always) outdoor cat run into the house and have her kittens on the livingroom floor in front of all the grandkids. (That wasn't planned, but exciting all the same!) One of the grandsons was shouting, "Look, look! She had another mouse!" They did kind of look like mice.

I am really leaning toward doing family cookbooks with pictures of grandparents/great-grandparents, with all the kids' favorite recipes, along with personal stories. DS#1 has been asking for copies of some of our older pictures, so this would please him.

Love all of your ideas! It is really helping to get me going.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Are you working on Christmas? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page