Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Are you working on Christmas?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Are you working on Christmas? Next Topic
Page: of 2

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2008 :  07:43:48 AM  Show Profile
Up until a couple of years ago, I always had Christmas out of the way by early October. Then for some reason I started letting it slip up on me. (My m-i-l is always saying, Christmas just slips up on me! I always think, it comes the same time every year! So - maybe it's an age thing! LOL)

Anyway, this year I have had list(s) made since early May and even picked up a couple of things. I want to get started making rag dolls for the five granddaughters - not sure what I'm making for the guys yet (ideas appreciated! ages 4 - 12 yrs). One year I found those pvc pipe marshmallow guns. They were fun! Then I got them all cork gun rifles. They loved them. My dil didn't, though. (Maybe rubber band guns this year.....just kidding!)

The "older" girls will get homemade jellies and candles (and whatever other great finds I come up with), the "older" guys are getting homemade jerky and cheese and maybe some of the lint firestarters from the last magazine.

My sister works for a large banking institution and she has been in charge of closing out some area branches - which is an economic lost, I know....but I have inherited tons of tissue paper, shiny-black gift bags and loads of stuff like that! So, I think my wrapping will have a black & white theme with lots of red ribbons - recycle, recycle! :)

The neighbors are getting candles and homemade cookies and I think my mil is getting a pretty apron.

I'll still have to buy somethings, especially for the two boys at home, but if I can get this out of the way early - WOW! I'll be happy.

Making blackberry jelly today!

All ideas appreciated!

My daughter came up with this saying a few Christmases ago. Not sure where she found it.

Something you want,
Something you need.
Something to eat,
And something to read.

Keeps it simple, huh?

Oh, and my friend gave me a wonderful recipe for Cranberry White Fudge. It is awesome, so probably will be sharing some of that.

Farmgirls don't have hot flashes ~ They have power surges!

Edited by - Shi-anne on Jun 30 2008 07:50:28 AM

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2008 :  07:53:21 AM  Show Profile
Yes Ive started Christmas as well, I have to start early because my Dh job usually slows down around Thanksgiving thru the New Year so if I dont get started early we dont get anything. He is a carpet installer and people dont want floors going down in the middle of the holidays. Also with 3 boys at home theres lots to buy. Ive started making dishclothes for the ladies in the family and would like to make aprons to go with them. Im kinda clueless for the men folks. Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10 http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2008 :  08:02:38 AM  Show Profile
Whoa, you gals are really on the ball! You got me to thinking and maybe I should be making some lists and checking them twice. I've always wanted to give gifts from the garden and have a nice little plot of lavender, might make some sheep milk lavender soap...been wanting to try making soap anyhow.

Thanks for jump-starting me to think about Christmas! I am letting things slide too much lately and then scrambling at the last minute.

Bought a new Amy Butler In Stitches book and it has lots of great gift ideas (all sewing projects)...think I might start there since I'm motivated to try making something new.

Have fun creating. Keep the ideas coming, I need some new ones.

Jami in WA

Okay, so now I have a blog. http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

City_Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Christina
Omaha Nebraska
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2008 :  08:23:37 AM  Show Profile
Yes, I have started if you consider making a list a start. My goal was to finalize my list today so that I can get on the ball and start making things in July. Lucky for me the portion of our families that actually get gifts is fairly small. A few of the others did not appreciate or like homemade gifts so we stopped giving to them.

I am planning on making a quilt for one of my sisters and her husband. As well as one for my mom and dad. I have already decided on a pattern that can be completed in a timely manor for both of them. They both live out of town so I will need to ship them in November.

For my grandmother I am making her a beautiful new apron and some new embroidered tea towels.

My baby sister, who is a starving and broke student, will be getting a basket briming with heathy food and treats and most likely a gift card for gas.

My daughter that is 16 now will be getting a new apron and cash. My son who turns 13 the day after Christmas will be getting a new chefs jacket and cash. Cash is their prefered gift of choice I amnot just too lazy to shop for them. Really, I am not!!

My husband and I no longer exchange gifts during the holidays because if either of us want something we just go out and get it when we want it. Things like my new pressure cooker!

Other family members and friends get a variety of home baked goods. We also distribute and give homemade cinnamon rolls, bread and sweet treats to our areas local firestation men and women.

The local food bank gets our gift of time. Something that they are always desperate for during the holidays.

By the way Jami...I love that Amy Butler book!! I am going to make a few things from there as well.

Cheryl your cranberry fudge sounds delightful! Would you be willing to share the recipe by chance?

Christina
Farmgirl Sister #195
Although no one can go back and make a brand new start; anyone can start from now
and make a brand new end.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2008 :  08:32:55 AM  Show Profile
I tried knitting last year for Christmas gifts and talked myself right out of loving knitting. I'm back to it, but not for any "goal" really....just fun and to make some hats and baby sweaters.

This year, with our blackberry harvest and our pear harvest, I'm making cordials as gifts. I love to cook, so I hope this doesn't take the joy out of cooking, for me, either!!! :)

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2008 :  08:37:05 AM  Show Profile
Wwweeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllll, before I start Christmas I have a wedding in August, birthday in October, one in November and one in December. Then I'll think about Christmas. Of course, I have ideas that I'm thinking about. Who knows, maybe the sewing machine will start running on its own!!!!! Dreamer that I am.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2008 :  09:44:29 AM  Show Profile
Cheryl, I had to smile at the boys getting guns and saw that you are in Oklahoma. Good for you~ Whatever happened to little boys wanting to be cowboys anymore? I miss that.

Last year I did the homemade jelly and syrups. I asked for my jars back so I could make more, but that sure didn't happen, so I think I'll just keep my jelly this year and make a boatload of crocheted dishcloths (my latest "hobby"). In the past I've knit shawls & made double fleece blankies; homemade soap & whipped shea. You start to run out of ideas and so many (teens-20's) prefer $$.

http://bonne1313.blogspot.com/ BLOG
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2008 :  10:11:24 AM  Show Profile
I've actually started making a list, which is better than I usually do (just get around to it in October... and then drive myself crazy trying to make things).

For my mom, I'm going to make one of the kimono out of the book Knit Kimono. Cool book, lots of patterns.

For my younger sister, I plan to either knit a sweater or a new bag/purse/tote (haven't decided the pattern yet). Her birthday is two weeks before Christmas, so she's likely to get something handmade for her birthday as well.

For dear daughters (9,3), I haven't even thought yet. The older is in gymnastics and I think Husband Dear may make her a balance beam in the backyard. I have lots of ideas that I didn't make last year (rope toss game, tiny treehouses for wee folk dolls,... mostly from the lists at motheringdotcom.

Husband would like a Doctor Who scarf... no hard work there, but it's LOADS of yarn to buy (8-10 foot long scarf).

My dad and stepmother and her family don't really care for handmade things, so they won't get them. Although they all do seem to appreciate the food items, so I will probably make a tray of snacks for them for Christmas.

That's all I can think of now. That's enough to scare me.

Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2008 :  11:28:22 AM  Show Profile
I always think I'm going to get prepared for Christmas early, but when I buy things ahead of time I sometimes can't find them at the right time. I think this year maybe I'll clean out one of the tiny closets upstairs in this house and make some cloth shopping bags to disguise things when i put them in there. I olike to make jam and peach chutney, but haven't done that for a while. Last year I made jalapeno jelly, it was wonderful and well received.
My problem is I always want to make something handmade for everyone, and that just doesn;t happen any more. I used to make everyone a big hand painted Christmas card too, gosh I used to do a lot of stuff. It is nice to read about your plans and ideas for Christmas. I'll just sit back and wait for some more ideas to talk to me.... I think probably I will be making cloth shopping bags for people out of my upholstery weight cotton remnants, That's useful, eco-friendly and fun to make.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2008 :  12:57:07 PM  Show Profile
You know one year I took pictures from throughout the year of our critters and us on the farm, going places, with a couple of "posed for" pictures as well and we had calendars made for the entire family with a different picture on every month. We just sent those out to everyone and it was personal but yet useful. Sure made Christmas easy and everyone enjoyed them and if you run out of ideas or time, might work.

Women love purses and they are a blast to make. They can be made out of anything and turn out great. My sis-in-law gets one from me every year and just loves it because I do a different style each time. I have made hand-knitted and felted ones, sewn ones from all sorts of fabrics and re-invented jeans. Great way to use scraps.

Hand knitted socks are a great gift too. Gosh, you all gave great ideas...keep em coming.

Jami in WA

Okay, so now I have a blog. http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2008 :  1:53:15 PM  Show Profile
Jami, love the calendar idea!!

http://bonne1313.blogspot.com/ BLOG
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2008 :  7:05:48 PM  Show Profile
wow! i havent even thought of christmas yet. im just now getting situated with the normal day to day stuff. glad you mentioned it though. put some resolve into me. :
hugs
jess

Farmgirl Sister #235

http://crshelpmeet-heartssong.blogspot.com/

Children seldom misquote you. In fact, they usually repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said.

The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug. -- Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

abigailc1973
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

abigail
orlando fl
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2008 :  12:54:52 AM  Show Profile
Shi-anne, I love your daughter's saying! How perfect.

Wow, I think it'll be August before I can get started on making Christmas gifts, which is late for me. I've been busy making baby shower gifts but should be done with that this week, hopefully. Then I have to get ready for my niece and her children to come down for a week or so, I'm so excited for that! After thier visit I'll have to get down to business.

I need to figure out what will work time restraint wise and won't cost a fortune to mail. One of my brothers hinted at cookies and candy, which would be great. I've been on a huge crochet kick, so I imagine a lot of people will be getting dish cloths, pot holders and christmas ornaments, lol! I am going to sew up some placemats and coasters for my SIL and make a quilted tree skirt for my best friend. I think I'm going to make home made kahlua for the drinkers in my honey's family. I'm at a loss for what to do for the kiddies this year. . Hopefully something will come to mind. But Jami solved my dilema for my sister- a purse! Thanks, girl.
Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2008 :  06:02:40 AM  Show Profile
Speaking of using up scraps and old jeans, County Woman had a cute little girl apron (2 or 3 issues back) made from a small pair of cut-up jeans. If was cute! Another thing I plan to get the little girls in the family, a potholder weaving loom. Remember those? I noticed Hobby Lobby has the looms and with bag of loops, they are only aboout $4.00. The 7 & 8 year old will like those. I remember going door to door selling my potholders (2 for $.25) when I was their age. I was saving to buy a new fishing pole! LOL! And I did!

All of the older grands also like those artist's scratch pictures - not sure what they are called - but with a styllist (sp?) you scratch off the black in marked areas, leaving a beautiful picture of whatever patterned you picked. Hobby Lobby also has those from about a dollar up to five dollars. So I may pick some of those up for the boys.

I love the calendar idea, too! And have thought about doing that, but always forget. Maybe this year. If I did it on the computer, I could mark all the family birthdays, etc. That would be nice.

I made the double fleece blankets (or as my sister calls them - quilts you can make in an hour) two years ago, but we have added another granddaughter since then. I could make her one of those. She's 17 months.

I usually make everyone a new "warmie bag" with either the rice or corn, so the little ones have them when they have an ear ache or such and us bigs ones have them when we have aches and pains or sore muscles. Now, the warmie bags are one thing I've made that everyone is glad to get, even some in the family who aren't always thrilled with homemade (not sure who someone like that even got in our family! :) ). New ones each year are nice, especially for the little ones as they can get err - rather dirty with a lot of use. It is fun picking out material they will like, too. I have tried adding the dried herbs or even a few drops of essential oils, but mine don't seem to retain the smell through too many uses. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Bonne, not only guns, err toy guns, the older grands also have rec'd bows and arrows from us - dh insisted! My dil gets so upset at the mention of a BB gun, her male child is 7, when his daddy was his age, he wanted and got a .22 for Christmas. Of course, he had lots of restrictions, but we live close to the river (South Canadian) and at the time dh was pumping wells on land that ran along the river. DS#1 would go with him to check on the wells and it wasn't unusual to see a copperhead. So DS#1 became a good shot early on. The two boys at home, 11 & 12 are content to go with dh to shoot an ocassional chicken snake. But in truth, I wouldn't get them anything harmful at this point. We have too many little ones in the house anymore to keep an eye on. And I am older now, maybe not wiser, but more aware. Anyway, while I respect my dil's opinion, I do tease her about being a "city girl" and the fact she got upset over the marshmellow guns was rather amusing to me. I think it was because DS#1 kept shooting her with the marshmallows that made her mad. Like I said, he's a good shot. :-)

Christina, I will be happy to share the Cranberry Fudge recipe. It will just take a day or two to dig it out.

Edited by - Shi-anne on Jul 01 2008 06:04:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2008 :  06:06:16 AM  Show Profile
BTW - has anyone ever done a family cookbook?

Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2008 :  06:22:12 AM  Show Profile
I have a huge extended family, we are all close-knit. I make a something every year; I am soooo not a believer in breaking the bank for one holiday to be in debt for it 6 months later. For my mom I have made yo-to table runners & made a throw blanket for my dad.

This year I am embriodering & applique-ing tea towels & will put 2 tea towels in an old-fashioned glass-top canning jar for presentation, with a bow made of rick rack. The cost is about $1.50 per gift.

Last year I knit mini-sweater ornaments for everyone. I used an egg cozy pattern & made them from good quality wool; since they were so small the yarn was able to go far. I splurged on fancy ornament hangers. It ended up cosing less than $1 per ornament.....and everyone now wants a dozen this year, ha.

The year before that my grandmother passed and, being the only real sewing maven in the family, I inherited all of her fabric. I made patchwork totebags; each one had some of grandma's fabric in it. These were a hit, very sentimental.

One year I made fabric Christmas stockings. I had fun w/the teens, made leopard and velvet and lame stockings for them.

It's funny,now my family starts asking me way ahead of time what I'm making for presents. I have a standard to keep up, apparently.

Farmgirl Sister #204
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2008 :  06:45:22 AM  Show Profile
Cheryl, How hard is it to make warmie bags? I just love that idea! What all do you need to make them? I kinda new at the crafty thing I used to do alot when I was a kid but got out of it. Thanks to the farmgirls Ive started back and love it. Did you give them directions for use, with the bags? Jennifer I also love the tea towel idea. You all have great ideas and are all so talented. Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10 http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2008 :  07:23:13 AM  Show Profile
Karen, the warmie bags are just a little pillow shaped bag, any size you want. For the smaller kids I make them kind of small so they're not too heavy for them to carry around. The first one I got was about a 14 X 14 square doubled over and stitched on 2 sides, to form kind of a pillow case. It was filled with rice (the slow cooking kind), probaby about 2 lbs worth. Then sew the open end shut. Heat in microwave for 3 to 4 minutes. Yes, I include instructions if it is someone I haven't given one to before. Don't want anyone to get burned! I like rice the best as a filler. Dh likes corn. Corn is cheaper - 50 lbs at the fed store for about $7.50.

Anyway, in answer to your question, no they are not difficult to make. I am not a talented in the sewing department and I make them all the time for gifts. Even have people ask for them.

My dil had one in the car with her during an ice storm. They had been to her parents and had driven to our house, about 18 miles on icy roads. It was still warm when they got there and her hands were nice and toasty too.

Have fun!

Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2008 :  07:26:18 AM  Show Profile
Jennifer, what unique ideas! Where are you buying your glass top canning jars?

Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2008 :  07:30:57 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Cheryl, Im going to try to make me some for Christmas!!!! Karen

Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2008 :  07:46:27 AM  Show Profile
Christina, I am posting the Cranberry White Fudge recipe in the Kitchen forum.

Go to Top of Page

City_Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Christina
Omaha Nebraska
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2008 :  07:50:16 AM  Show Profile
thank you! I will go check it out. I can't wait.

Christina
Farmgirl Sister #195
Although no one can go back and make a brand new start; anyone can start from now
and make a brand new end.
Go to Top of Page

elphie0503
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Samantha
Gilmer Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2008 :  09:22:14 AM  Show Profile  Send elphie0503 an AOL message
I've done family cookbooks--took pictures of friends and family and scrapbooked it along with their 2 favorite recipes. My mom loved it, and all it cost me was the photo printing and the book. We have a really awesome craft store in our area that has really good sales, and next week they are having a buy one scrapbook get one free sale. So I am gonna go stock up and give those out to several people. I also do corny bags. This year I am thinking of adding soaps and aprons...we'll see how things turn out!

Samantha

www.elphie0503.blogspot.com

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort~~Albright

Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2008 :  5:28:50 PM  Show Profile
Oh ladies! You're making my head hurt! Such WONDERFUL gift ideas!!! I will have to give some of them a try.

I have found myself giving more PRACTICAL gifts over the past few years. The only ones I really "BUY" for are my own three boys-- but they are getting older and it's getting MUCH harder to buy things they like.... that I can ACTUALLY AFFORD!!! I don't do hand held video games, ipods, cell phones etc.... I tell them if they want THAT stuff, they have to pay for it themselves! Although, I have bought a Keyboard, guitar, boxing gloves, car jacks and tools for them over the years, but I WON'T wast money on frivolous electronic gadgets!

I get my younger sister a pair of warm jammies every year and maybe some socks or slippers (she'll be 30 on the 10th!) and she LOVES them! Looks forward to them every single year. I usually make up baskets for everyone else of goodies that I've cooked and baked-- I mean, who doesn't love good homemade food? Although, last year, I DID add a "Singing Pig" to my brothers basket this past year as a joke! (it OINKED a chrismas tune, then cried out "Merry Christmas!" He just about laughed himself silly over it!) I also will put baked goods in casserol dishes or nice big mixing bowls and give them to the in-laws. The dishes can be used FOREVER and are VERY practical.

I buy those kind of gifts because... well... if any of you saw my list on the "UFO" thread you can pretty much guess WHY I don't "make" my gifts. But, since I have more time now, I will have to reconsider. Guess it's time to dig out the sewing machine!!! Oh, and WHERE did I put those knitting needles....?

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  1:45:47 PM  Show Profile
Cheryl, I picked up a few of the glass top canning jars at yard sales, but I literally hit the jackpot when I posted a request on my local freecycle board. Some lovely ladies were happy to clean out their garages and gave me dozens of them. Google "freecycle" in your area - it's a forum to give away and receive things, all free.

I do like the wine bag and warmie bag ideas too...looks like I'm set for Christmas '09 now!

Farmgirl Sister #204
Go to Top of Page

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  2:57:30 PM  Show Profile
Hello. It's so good to be able to have time to chat with you ladies again. I see new names and some who I have swapped with.

I love some of these ideas. I have done rag quilts and aprons for gifts. I like to make an ornament each year, at least with my kids and some years more for topping each gift to family and friends. One year I made patchwork stuffed heart ornaments. These are my all time favorite.

You take four small squares of coordintaing Christmas fabrics. Sew to make a larger square (2x2). Cut out another square same size for back. Trace a heart shape on wrong side of patchwork. Place on top of backing square RIGHT sides together. Sew on the heart line, leaving a 2-3" opening for turning right side out. Turn it right side out and stuff with poly stuffing or wool. Hand stitch closed. Either make an embroidery or perle cotton hanging circle or hand stitch a pretty ornament hanger to back.

I like to do themes each year so the nieces and nephews have something easy for me to do. The favorites have been movie theater gift certificates, battery operated toothbrushes with their own tasty toothpaste, pillowcases to suit their likes and interests, Drinking glasses filled with snack mix and a hidden $5.

I like to give my SIL something Christmas early like a new themed Christmas craft book or cookbook or fun lights for porch. Last eyar was Christmas aprons with cookbook.

This year I want to do purses, but I may end up with totebags as they go together so quickly. If I can get it together, I might do a few rag quilts again.

My kids get an ornament and something special made from us. Last year I made embroidered star quilts. Some blocks had embroidered stars and the others were soft flannels in plaids and tonals or florals in red, green, natural colored prints. My daughter's had a floral border and my son had a plaid border. They LOVED these!!! Since I made them each a bed quilt this winter, the biggie gift is done for this year. I might try a robe for each one and pj bottoms.

Neighbors got cheese baskets this year. We bought through the local dairy group and added a smoked sausage you cut to eat as well as crackers (one sleeve) and a bag of hoemmade cookies. we packaged it in $1 plastic boxes. Delicious, resuable, different and well received. we had a local dairy that makes cheese send a box to my folks and one brother. They both loved them. I sent a box of cookies later to my mom, all her mom's recipes.

I have wanted to do a family cookie cookbook. Any suggestions for programs to make it easier?

I think young people like cash and gift cards. I know my teenager does. She will driving soon, so I am going to get her gift cards for gas and clothing stores.

Soup mixes are fun and inexpensive. I did cookie mixes for neighbors and friends. I did jam and jelly. We have done honey and maple syrup as my husband has bees and boils sap some years. All those are appreciated. I love food, love homemade and love to give homemade.

This year I hope to be well enough to continue with handmade gifts. I try to get a few bigger items made in fall and rely on food items and ornaments from Nov on. Freeze cookies in early Nov to pull out for gifts in Dec. Biscotti is a favorite.

Guys-fleece pullover and/or vest, fleece pants for hunting season, headband done in macrame with cool wooden beads for cowboy hat, knit scarf, wool socks have been loved by hubby. Also made him a canvas wrench bag he still uses and bucket buddy with sections for small stuff to fit in spackle bucket.

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Are you working on Christmas? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page