Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  6:54:54 PM  Show Profile
Rosemary, I've not worked for them since the early 90's, but sorry to hear that Cross is no longer Amerian made. I wonder if they still honor their lifetime warranty. The pen cabinets are quite unusual. One small section of the glass in one is broken, but if I place them right, will never show. It's such a thick glass it does not compromise the stability. Could never afford to have new glass made and I have connections in the glass business. Haven't seen them in the light, but expect the glass might have bubbles, which is even better. None of my pens are really pricey, unless I have something I'm not aware of :) I first saw these about 10 years ago and my SIL never did say what she wanted for them. At the time, they actually belonged to her stepson, but are hers now. Last time I looked at them and took measurements, I asked again and she said "50 cents". I think she is more concerned they go to a good home and they will.
Go to Top of Page

downbranchroad
True Blue Farmgirl

374 Posts

Joy
Southern KY
USA
374 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  7:09:56 PM  Show Profile  Send downbranchroad a Yahoo! Message
I have several pictures of my collections post in older post on my blog. Ck them out. Nothing grand but treasures to me.

Joy

quote:
Originally posted by Rosemary

I'd love to see photos of everyone's stuff -- especially the kitchen things. I dearly love 30s-50s things, and have a few myself, but have let more slip through my fingers than I care to think about, more's the pity. My real collecting passion is fountain pens. My right wrist is broken and n a cast right now, so I can't write, which is tragic! Does anyone else collect pens? I'd love to share "baby" pictures, and maybe even do some swapping.

Appalachian Girl
Jem

*If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got.

My new blog!
http://downbranchroad.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Buffalomary
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Mary
Caldwell ID
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2008 :  8:49:37 PM  Show Profile
Wow!! What neat collections, everyone. I collect buffalo's, hence the name Buffalomary!! I have all sorts, from Beanie Baby to ceramic to soap stone even one carved from a buffalo horn. I have material with buffalo's, jewelry, Leaning Tree cards, calendars, and even a replica of a road sign from Montana that says "buffalo crossing"!! I have so many that I am now very selective because I don't have much room any more. I mentioned that I wanted chickens for my kitchen and everyone started getting me chickens, again - ran out of room!! I also collect various magazines: complete set of Mother Earth News, 1 to 126, Backhome Woods Magazine, and Back Home. I just recently was introduced to MaryJane so have some catching up to do!! I also have a large library of various topics, so I guess I could include books in the collecting mode. Can't forget all the material that has seemed to reproduced itself. And as one already mentioned, everything listed above collects dust!!! lol

You can take the farmer's daughter off the farm but you can't take the farm out of the farmer's daughter!!
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2008 :  06:42:54 AM  Show Profile
I collect oil/kerosene lamps, candles, old kitchen utensils, birds (craft store kind), birdhouses, Ball or Atlas blue canning jars, cobalt blue glass items. Everything except the birds and birdhouses are used regularly. Even the cobalt blue bottles usually have flowers or cuttings in them.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

azgardengirl
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Camille
Gilbert Arizona
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2008 :  2:38:14 PM  Show Profile
I collect tea cups and tea pots as well as the letter "M".
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2008 :  4:12:45 PM  Show Profile
Ronna, you might have some valuable collectibles among your pens. One of my favorite pens isn't at all valuable, but is just like the one I used in 5th grade, that my parents got me in a drug store for maybe a dollar (we're talking mid-1950s). Even those that don't have high dollar value can be very interesting to learn more about. You might enjoy a Web site for pen lovers. You can post photos of your pens there and get expert info on them, including possible values. Nice people, as you might expect. It's at http://www.pentrace.net/mboard.htm . There are many great Web sites for general info. One I like is http://www.vintagepens.com/ . I'm not sure about the Cross situation, just repeating something I've heard. Sad, if true.
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2008 :  6:56:41 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the info, I'll check that out. I do have one crystal and brass desk set (ink wells) that might be of value. It was rather pricey in the thrift shop, one that does a bit of research on better items. Interesting to see what others have and know what to look for. Occasionally, I'll spot a bag of pens and pencils with a Cross pen for a buck or two. Got a vintage Mont Blanc that way, one that sells for quite a bit on eBay.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2008 :  8:03:45 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Ronna

Thanks for the info, I'll check that out. I do have one crystal and brass desk set (ink wells) that might be of value. It was rather pricey in the thrift shop, one that does a bit of research on better items. Interesting to see what others have and know what to look for. Occasionally, I'll spot a bag of pens and pencils with a Cross pen for a buck or two. Got a vintage Mont Blanc that way, one that sells for quite a bit on eBay.

Wow, what luck about that Mont Blanc! Your inkwell sounds pretty. There are plenty of people on that Pentrace message boards who could advise you about its value, and probably even tell you something about where it came from.
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  05:38:01 AM  Show Profile
I collect cocker spaniel and Irish Setter items such as old pictures and figurines. I also have quite a collection of nature books. Oh, and pretty teacups!
Kathy of the Enchanted Wood

Kathy of the Enchanted Wood
Farmgirl Sister #59
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  11:40:48 AM  Show Profile
I absolutely LOVE collecting! I collect many things. I will try to list them all here in no specific order:

Peggy Nisbet historical dolls
Books about the Tudors/Elizabethans
Anything pertaining to the Tudors/Elizabethans
High Quality yarn
Knitting accoutrements
China
Vintage/antique linens
Rocks/Minerals

There's more on my list but unfortunately I can't quite think of them all right now. When I get home I will take a look around and make another list

I want to begin collecting things like aprons, buttons (merit badge!), and thimbles.

Chelsey
Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2569 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2569 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2008 :  03:26:34 AM  Show Profile
I collect seed & plants. Throughout the summer I harvest the seed from my plants for next years garden. If I am at someones house and see seed available, I gather the seed from the plant. Of course I'll ask permission from the person 1st, and most times, they look at you like your weird... They just don't get it. I buy seed as well, to try something new. If someone is dividing a plant, I am more than happy to add it to my garden.

http://flowerchild-lifeinthegarden.blogspot.com/
Also visit my online store @ www.NatureMaiden.com -Handcrafted Bath & Body Products

Edited by - naturemaiden on Jul 27 2008 03:27:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

shepherdwagen
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Susan
Winterset Iowa
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2008 :  04:46:16 AM  Show Profile  Send shepherdwagen a Yahoo! Message
I collect too much! I love mason jars, but to make it different, I have started getting picky, and only gettingo ones that have different names on them. Ball is the most common, bit I have found Gem, Selco, Atlas, and my newfound one, Root. All of them have buttons in them, and I think I must have a million buttons.
I like graniteware, or porcelain enamelware. Feed/seed sacks. I found a kewl use for the feedsacks--I use them as shelf coverings on my 2 utility carts in my kitchen. It makes the carts look so much better. I also have some cast iron skillets, mostly Wagner, with a bit of Griswold.
And I have not told the half of it!
I collect too much!

"I've childproofed my house, but they keep getting in."
Go to Top of Page

ranchmama
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Elise
Rosebud MT
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2008 :  11:48:29 AM  Show Profile
I have a small collection of canning jars, I haven't found any latley to add to it! I have one for buttons, would like to start collection more of those, but the rest hold rocks. I just find pretty one here in my driveway. Have quite a few with the milk agates that are found in this part of MT. I have about 3 big jars full, and found a huge flower vase and started filling that! Also petrified wood..
Collected Bryer horses when I was a girl and now they are for my daughter. Cross stitch patterns, and fabric and floss, Books, but that is more of a nessecity as someone else said. Cookbooks, specially the church, community family ones.
It seems I collect kids toys and dust, I just can't ever get rid of those!

And Shepherdwagen..... I love your quote! hee hee ;)
Go to Top of Page

the bees knees
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Joyce
Monroe LA
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  8:33:23 PM  Show Profile
I love to collect "good stuff" also...like...honey pots, head vases (that florist use to use for plants), blue willow, transferware plates and bowls, and snowbabies...I'm sure there is more, just can't think of what right now!!!

Farmgirl Sister #82-Joyce of 'The Shabby Girls'
www.thepurleebee.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2008 :  01:15:07 AM  Show Profile
Lets see if I can condense this..LOL

I collect:
Vintage fabrics ~ chenille, damask and screen printed tableclothes from the 40' and 50's, cotton dressweight wovens...lots of roses..I love roses especially the big English cottage rose. Vintage buttons and modern ones too, plain and fancy ribbons.

I also recycle thrifted clothes to be "born" again into something different...oh, also unspun wool in all colorways for needlefelting.

I collect yarns...love the handdyed wools, superwash wools, alpaca..all of them Always in seach of the perfect crochet hooks.

I collect old kitchen utencils, old cream pitchers, old sugar bowls, glass jars with zinc lids, McCoy Pottery,old irons although I've lost most due to too many moves..think I've got 3 left.

There's more but my mind is fading...ready for bed

Hugs…

Stephanie
www.queenofdreamsz.blogspot.com ~~~Crochet, Sewing, Life Collections & Recollections Blog
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.blogspot.com Vintage & Modern Fabric, Fiber & Yarn Blog
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.com ~~~~~Go Shopping at my Website Catalog!!
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2008 :  09:54:12 AM  Show Profile
I collect butterflies from all over the world. Have some fireking, vintage porcelain, hankies for quilting with, and everything to do with cardmaking and scrapbooking to turn into treasures. I have sold a few pieces of fireking on ebay. My site is funfamilybargains. I have one piece I can send you a pic of. I also have a tin collection I tried to sell but no interest. I don't know how to tell where they were made.

handmade cards and jewelry at jeanpatchbymk.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

KatyDo
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Kaye
Uintah UT
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2008 :  4:37:34 PM  Show Profile
When I was younger I tried collecting several different things (vintage), but vintage is rare in Utah, hey if a house is 75 to 100 years old we consider it really, really old. Oh, we have antique stores here but most everything is too high priced and not in very good condition. So I gave up and started collecting what we do have, rocks, heart shaped rocks to be exact,(our house was built in the old Weber River bed, rocks everywhere), childrens chairs, tea cups, dishes-sets of china, Easter, X-mas, Halloween, Thanksgiving, summer, I have dishes stashed in every nook and cranny in the house, up stairs,down stairs and in the ladies chamber. Turquoise/silver Indian jewery-(have to go to Arizona/the 4-corners area for that stuff). And just today I gave a friend my whole collection of thimbles, 25 yrs worth. I envy you gals who live in the east, with all that history and all the antiques. I was "talking" with Tracy about our pillowcase swap and she said she might use some vintage fabric for her pillowcases, well I told her we don't have vintage pillow cases here in Utah but I would try my best to make hers look vintage. Good luck collecting everyone.
KaytDo

Follow Your Bliss

Edited by - KatyDo on Aug 01 2008 4:39:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

proudnanaof3
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Kim
Denton NC
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2008 :  6:41:49 PM  Show Profile
I love collecting old tools, kitchen items, and older materials such as quilt pieces, table cloths, dollies, etc. My husband and I love antiquing on weekends. I have 3 beautiful bright redhead grandchildren that has gotten me looking for redheaded dolls...especially antique and rag dolls. I have gotten some that I change the hair on. I love finding ways to display my finds especially the tools.

If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

Kelly Wall
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Kelly
Apison TN
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2008 :  06:48:15 AM  Show Profile
Marsha, I would love to see the picture of your Fire King piece! The tins I collect are made by a company called Daher, and they are stamped on the bottom. The are not really expensive (I found all of mine at thrift stores) but they are so pretty, mostly floral, but I have many that aren't. They also come in a variety of shapes and sizes, I bet now that I have described them you will start seeing them every where! I will check out your ebat store! thanks for posting everyone!!

Kelly
Farmgirl #238
Go to Top of Page

lavendermom
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Jennifer
Houghton Lake MI
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2008 :  6:35:14 PM  Show Profile
I saw a funny quote the other day..."I am a collector, not a pack rat"
That is me!
I collect books, personally. I love books! I love it when I find a treasure of an old book at the library that nobody has checked out in years. Whenever I read a good book I look for my own copy on half.com to add to my collection. Children's lit is my favorite. I adore Beatrix Potter, Tasha Tudor, Laura Ingalls Wilder, Lucy Maude Montgomery, Johanna Spyri, Sterling North. I suppose I love children's books because I have 5 children and it seems that is all I ever read. If I am reading for myself it is usually an old cookbook or something like Stillmeadow or The Egg and I. Ofcourse, as an herbalist and a food and nutrition researcher, I have tons of texts and health related books too. We have cases full of books, mag racks, coffee tables full, end tables stacked with them... My husband had never read a book from cover to cover until he married me! Now he reads too. My 11 year old daughter has read over 500 books already! We are both what you would consider speed readers. My father was a speed reader too. And we have a freakish ability to retain what we read. My daughter can already finish a 200 page book in one evening. When we go to the library (we all have our own cards) we check out nearly 100 books at a time! The librarians love us...they just don't like to be the one stuck checking us all out!

So, if you have any good books...let me know! I am especially in need of some good field guides right now.

www.fromfieldsandgardens.com
www.homesteadblogger.com/fromfieldsandgardens
www.farmsteadorganics.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

hodges_momma
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Carli
Manhattan Kansas
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  3:56:01 PM  Show Profile
This is great!!! MaryJanes Farm just gets better and better!!
I am looking for Tins. New, old, big, small it doesn't matter. I also have been looking for aprons, tablecloths, scrap material that people are no longer using, and 1940's/ 1950's vintage kitchen items. If any one can help with these, let me know. Maybe we can barter!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Robin1974
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Robin
Flower Mound Texas
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  10:23:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Robin1974 a Yahoo! Message
As does Aimee, I have a little collection of vintage Tupperware, which by the way, I love. I use it everyday and continue to collect more pieces. It reminds me of my mom. We always had the harvest colors and nifty gadgets from Tupperware. I also collect teapots but only English teapots. My mother lives in Northeast England and she brings me one everytime she comes home to visit. Its so interesting to hear what everyone collects!

Robin

Before it goes in the bin, give it away or use it again!
Go to Top of Page

berryhill
True Blue Farmgirl

132 Posts

Linda
Troy TN
USA
132 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  10:42:51 PM  Show Profile
Right now I am most interested in collecting bluebird china, antique photographs of babies and children, vintage embroidered linens, and light green Depression glass. The bluebird china has gotten so expensive on Ebay that I spend most of my time just looking and not bidding. Books are also a big favorite, and truly a necessity here, too! Linda
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  1:03:24 PM  Show Profile
I collect lot's of things, hehe
Books