farmgirlkate
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

kate
bryan TX
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2008 :  6:08:06 PM  Show Profile
Hi ladies-I'm not sure if this is the right spot for it, but I have a question regarding my chickens. I recently relocated them from an ark to a stationary coop and they have started eating their eggs! How do I stop this? Any suggestions?
~kate

"You only have what you give...""

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2008 :  6:28:40 PM  Show Profile
You need to check several times a day and remove them as soon as they lay them. Once they "develop a taste" for them it is really hard to stop them. Maybe someone else can offer some better suggestions.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2008 :  8:26:02 PM  Show Profile
Are ALL of your hens eating the eggs? If so, it might be caused by a "Dietary" issue. You might need to add more calcium in the form of oyster shells specifically for chickens. Also, chickens get bored just like WE DO! You could try twice daily feeding (but only as much is they will actually eat at each feeding) and maybe even sprinkling scratch around their yard to give them something to do throughtout the day.

And like Julie said-- collecting the eggs several times a day should help tremendously too. Other than that, there really isn't much else to be done with egg eating hens once they start, except culling them from the flock before they get the others following suit. Chickens learn the worst habits from each other!! Good luck!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

thegoatlady84
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Robyn
Breton Alberta
Canada
10 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2008 :  08:29:49 AM  Show Profile
Make your nest boxes very dark inside! They wont eat what they cant see. My hen were eating their eggs and I made the nest boxes so that they were very dark by putting a cloth "cat door" on the front that the hens have to pus through. They have not eaten a single egg since.

Rock'n M Dairy stock
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2008 :  03:19:42 AM  Show Profile
You can find bags of oyster shells at most feed stores
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2008 :  03:21:19 AM  Show Profile
That is crushed oyster shells sorry

Ours come in 50 pounds

We offer these free choice in a dish by the feed or in a pile somewhere close to the coop outside
Go to Top of Page

farmgirlkate
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

kate
bryan TX
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2008 :  05:24:37 AM  Show Profile
Thank you to everyone. They do have a varied diet and get enough including oyster shell, so I suspect one of them (I think it's Agnes-she's always the ringleader) has just started doing it (probably out of spite). I am going to make the nest boxes darker, but I'm also going to yank Agnes out and see if happens again.
I had thought of the boredom thing, but it's hard to think of something to do to keep chickens entertained...hire a clown? give them a tv? do they even make little chicken swing sets? **sigh**
~kate

www.xanga.com/k8tthelate
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  4:59:03 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
lmao kate that mental picture is too funny! do they have plenty of space for outside so they can amuse themselves eatging bugs and eating grasses? i have always heard that once they start eating eggs they wont stop but i have a pair of cockatiels who will eat their eggs after sitting a while if they arent viable. yet they only do this after weeks of sitting. they ahve successfullly hatched 2 babies and havent eaten an egg since. good luck and keep us posted ok? peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

farmgirlkate
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

kate
bryan TX
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  5:20:48 PM  Show Profile
Well, I hauled Agnes out (that freeloading featherduster) and made the nest boxes darker. So far so good...the eggs have been intact. Meanwhile Agnes is pouting in a cage and has yet to do anything except throw a temper tantrum befitting a two year old when I put her in there. I will give it one more day and see how things go, then try and reintroduce her back to the flock. If that fails, I may hang a picture of Col Sanders up in the coop. I have really come to admire that man lately.

Ladies, thank you all so much. I'll keep you posted.
Good luck with you cockatiels Connie!
~kate

www.xanga.com/k8tthelate
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  6:36:53 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
thanks kate. i really do not want them to breed anymore! the first oen has terribly played legs and the second committed hari- cari by flying into a window! i already have 9 parrots in this tiny cabin so dont need anymroe! i just cannot bring myself to take the eggs out cuz then she just lays more and that is so hard on her.
the picture of col. sanders just might work! *wink*
peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

yasmine
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

yasmine
wappingers falls ny
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2008 :  5:14:12 PM  Show Profile
I would suggest more
calcium.

Justice
Go to Top of Page

RoseRed
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Karen
Virginia
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2008 :  6:40:46 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like you've got it under control! When our girls do this, we add a darning egg to their laying box. It's no fun to peck at, apparently, and soon they get out of the habit.

RoseRed
Go to Top of Page

farmgirlkate
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

kate
bryan TX
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2008 :  6:50:42 PM  Show Profile
I am happy to report that all is well in the coop now. Between darkening the boxes, hanging a picture of the col. on the wall and giving agnes a good whatfor, things have straightened out. Karen, I did also add a darning egg-I think that helped too.. yasmine, thank you-but they have access to calcium-I think this was more a bad habit that got started out of being put back in the coop. There is nothing worse than a spiteful chicken I tell you.
Thank you all!
kate

www.xanga.com/k8tthelate
Go to Top of Page

RoseRed
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Karen
Virginia
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  6:18:08 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I don't know...I think a *wet* spiteful chicken may be the worst :). Glad it's working out and your girls are being more agreeable!
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  12:08:34 PM  Show Profile
Hey! Try this: a handful of dry cat food. Seriously, I work at a hatcheryt and we suggest that all the time for birds that are eating eggs. Its a protein thing (AND a boredom thing). Crushed oyster shell is good but if they aren't stopping, try the cat food. Also, instead of clowns :o) try cat toys. Anything shiny and jingley they will love playing with. Try a mesh potato bag hung from the ceiling with a large cup hook and a half head of cabbage in it. They will be forever pecking at that! I am surrounded by chickens 24/7. Let me know how this all works! I think I also posted more chicken info somewhere else in here, but cant remember where!!!

harvest farm & market web site coming soon
Go to Top of Page

farmgirlkate
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

kate
bryan TX
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  12:20:46 PM  Show Profile
THAT'S IT!! CHICKEN TOYS!!
They need toys, but I had no idea what to do. Dawn, you are freakin brilliant!! You're my new best friend, I pinky swear!
~kate

www.xanga.com/k8tthelate
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  5:44:31 PM  Show Profile
hahahaha! Good for you! Best thing is...you can get a whoollle bunch of 'em at the dollar store!

harvest farm & market web site coming soon
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  6:32:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I love the idea of cat toys! I can just imagine chickens running around with jingly cat toys!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  11:05:04 AM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
Our chicken pen is littered with old containers, corn cobs, old bones, etc. Bugs land on them, and bingo... chicken treats!

We have a special place in the covered fence where we feed the "daily refuse". All I do is softly call "chickie-birds", and those gals come running. Bread products are their favorites, followed by corn of any kind. They'll eat their veggies, but not until they've search for any bits of cooked meat or gravy... the little hogs!

Our gals are so busy chasing around to see what's next for food, they barely have time to get in the box, lay their egg and head back outside.

We supplement with 16% layer mash (fed dry) once a day.

Shari Thomas
Got lambs? Got fleece? We do, and you can too! Check our our new "Fleece For Sale" page.
Go to Top of Page

yasmine
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

yasmine
wappingers falls ny
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  12:06:11 PM  Show Profile
I would suggest oyster shells they probly need
more calcium

Yasmine and Justice
Go to Top of Page

chickabella
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

D. A.
Austin... ish, Texas
177 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  8:45:45 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by deeredawn

Also, instead of clowns :o) try cat toys. Anything shiny and jingley they will love playing with. Try a mesh potato bag hung from the ceiling with a large cup hook and a half head of cabbage in it. They will be forever pecking at that!

I love the idea of cabbage in a mesh bag! As far as toys go, our geese love anything that dangles. Here's a pic of our last batch of goslings having a go at a dog chew toy:

Farm blog: http://farmnatters.blogspot.com
Tips blog: http://allingoodhealth.blogspot.com
Heart of Texas Farmgirls Chapter: www.maryjanesfarm.org/HenHouseSnitz/default.asp?CAT_ID=46
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Chicken Problems Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page