Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2005 :  08:28:51 AM  Show Profile
probably to interest little boys..mine love them..yuck!!

Jenny in Utah
Put all your eggs in one basket..and then watch that basket!! Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2005 :  09:18:15 AM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
LOL! Boys and maybe cats too - my cats love to play with them!

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2005 :  10:26:18 AM  Show Profile
We had a cat who ate them,instead of mice! Go figure!
(see Julia, there's that twin thing again!)

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2005 :  10:46:06 AM  Show Profile
I hesitate to mention what the box elders are called here in Kansas...they have been called "democrats" because they show up in droves around Election day...first part of November. Ever since I was a kid they have been called this.

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2005 :  11:34:58 AM  Show Profile
Kay, The spiders you are seeing with the big fat body are probably hornback females. Right now they are making their egg sacks that will hatch out in the spring. Life begets life and all of it has a purpose. These spiders do us a wonderful amount of good no matter how afraid we are of them. They eat other bugs that work on destroying our beautiful plants. So they actually are a helper for us. Slugs are land dwelling escargot. The one job that nobody really wants is to be the garbage collector or the sewage man. Well that is the job of slugs. They clean up our land waste. The unfortunate thing about them is that they cannot tell the difference between a plant we do not want and one we do want and they are attracted to the beautiful salad bar we create for (they think) them. I do not like them to eat my flowers any more than the next person but I cannot help being grateful to them for cleaning up the droppings of the other wild life and even the droppings of domestic pets and recycling them for nutrients my plants can use.

We are having a wind today that is bringing down all the remaining leaves that did not come down in the wind of last week. The trees are dancing and the wind is singing through them today. I just want to go out and dance around in the wind.
Eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2005 :  12:15:51 PM  Show Profile
Eileen, permission to dance in the wind granted!! (As if you needed it from me! hahaha)

"I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live up to what light I have." - Abraham Lincoln.... http://farmstyle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2005 :  12:37:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
I have heard or read somewhere that slugs (except for banana slugs I believe)are NOT native to the United States, that they came over in potted plants from China and they have no natural enemies here (except for gardeners) that is why they are so prolific.In China they had wild ducks and chickens to keep them in check.

Just a little more Fabulous Trivia....
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2005 :  12:44:50 PM  Show Profile
Eileen, Wind dancing is GOOD! You go girl!

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2005 :  1:02:11 PM  Show Profile
When i find a patch of the slug eggs in the lawn or under something I show them to my chickens who energetically go after those darn little pearls. Hoping to have a smaller population of slugs next year.

The wind is GREAT!!!!!
Eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Garden Gate: Previous Topic Fall Cleanup Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page