tiffany01
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Tiffany
Indiana
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2005 :  07:11:08 AM  Show Profile
I want to replant my "hens and chicks" in a bigger pot and bring them indoors for the winter. Any tips on the best way to do this? Should I even bring them in during the cold months or are they ok outdoors? Right now they're in a small clay pot. Thanks for the help!

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2005 :  12:17:57 PM  Show Profile
We have mild winters here with maybe one or two hard freezes. I always just leave mine in the pot outside and when I want to transfer some I just pull some off and stick them in the new pot or in the ground. They always take right off and start multiplying. In the winter they turn red on the tips when they go dormant and then brighten right up when it warms. Hope this helps!

Blessings,

Missy

If you have a dream, even if you don't feel qualified to accomplish it, just try your hardest.-Maggie Jensen
Go to Top of Page

tiffany01
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Tiffany
Indiana
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2005 :  12:26:52 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Missy. The tips of mine had turned red and I wasn't sure what that meant so I appreciate the info. I'll also try sticking them in the dirt and see what happens!
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2005 :  12:57:21 PM  Show Profile
Hi Tiffany -

I'm in Illinois, zone 5, and our winters are pretty hard. I took my hens and chicks out of their pot last fall and put them right into the ground. They came through the winter just fine.

A small clay pot is likely to break over the winter. And the root ball and tops are likely to freeze solid and not survive. If you put your hens and chicks into the ground now, come spring you can split them up or pull some off and put them into a new pot. Hope this helps!
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2005 :  4:45:59 PM  Show Profile
We leave ours outside, but they are in old work boots and plastic pots.We usually don't put them in the ground, but we have some that have dropped and decided they like it there, so we let them be.. The clay pots do have a tendancy to crack or start flaking if left out thru winter. One thing my mom always says is that you have to plant 2 together, or they won't grow. Not sure why but that is what I have always done!! Mamma knows best ya know!!
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2005 :  10:49:40 AM  Show Profile
I grow mine in old cowboy boots! They stay where they are year round and I just break off some of the hanging ones to plant elsewhere in my garden. So far I have only lost one variety but I think that was due to mole invasion leaving the roots on top of the ground without any dirt over them. I noticed to late.
Eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2005 :  1:23:04 PM  Show Profile
I store all terracotta pots out of the weather due to cracking and flaking. I'm zones 5/6 so we have similar winters I expect. They will be dormant now so just heal them into the ground well and they should thrive in the spring. Hens and chicks are very hardy and love to spread whenever you let them.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Hens and chicks replanting Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page