Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Asters Next Topic  

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  09:45:00 AM  Show Profile
I have lavender wild asters blooming all around my house and in my rose garden. They bloom without fail the last week of September and I love them! They are called MichaelMass Daisy because they bloom around the feast of the archangel Michael on Sept.29th. They look like little lavender stars.

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  09:54:41 AM  Show Profile
I have those asters too, Meadowlark. They are so pretty... I need to divide them and spread them out. It's like summer's last hurrah!

May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently through the world and know its beauty all the days of your life. ~~Apache Blessing
Go to Top of Page

Mari-dahlia
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Marianne
Hoosick Falls New York
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  12:07:22 PM  Show Profile
I was out shopping for clothes last week and was shocked by the color combinations. Scarlet, orange and purples. Then on my drive home I saw it. The red of the virginia creeper and the bright oranges & red of sumak and making the grand finally the asters. All the colors together on the sides of the road.
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  12:25:44 PM  Show Profile
I have the Asters too! I divided mine last year and have them in about ten places now. They are blooming amid my perrenial sunflowers and purple obedience plants with the fall maple leaves and sumac to bring in the other pallette. Marianne the colors are spectacular.
Eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2005 :  08:54:50 AM  Show Profile
Here's a link to an interesting article on asters from this weekend's paper. Interesting to note that the taxonomists "with the powers" are planning to rename asters at some point in the future! Anyway, a good aster reference here:
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/nwgardens/245296_autumn22.html

May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently through the world and know its beauty all the days of your life. ~~Apache Blessing
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2005 :  11:34:11 AM  Show Profile
I have them too! The group planted in my front yard are about 4'tall. They are dwarfed by the ones in my back yard (which get way more sun), they are at leat 6' tall...if they were all upright. We've had some wind and they are more "horizontal", but still beautiful. I never new how they got their name. Thanks for the info.
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Asters Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page