Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Halloween Horror Movie Favorites Next Topic
Page: of 2

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2005 :  3:14:25 PM  Show Profile
October is the month for horror flicks...What are your favorites? Nothing like a cold, rainy, windy fall night watching these old horror movies.... I like the old ones that leave the horror to one's own imagination...Psycho, Anthony Perkins in that roll was toooo chilling, The Lodger, 40's flick about Jack the Ripper rooming upstairs in a home YIKES!!!, THEM! Something about those giant ants attacking LA and their nests full of bones..., Nosferautu, a silent movie about Dracula, and he was not at all hunky in this one...those long creepy fingers made me sick,...Haunting of Hill House, 1963 with Claire Bloom and Julie Harris, knock, knock on the door.... also a psychodrama of sorts... What movies have jarred YOUR psyche over the years????

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2005 :  4:20:03 PM  Show Profile
Wow,
you have some real classics there, Meadowlark. I don't know that Ive seen any of them except Psycho.
The one that absolutely had me sick was the Excorcist. I wasnt allowed to see it when it first came out (even though all my friends were) so I saw it years later when I was "grown up" and they brought it back. I left the theater, I was soo scared. I don't even think I could watch it to this day.That 360 turn of the head, the voice and the pea soup....get me outa there!!!
The Shining, with Jack Nicholson really freaked me out when I first saw it.Shelly Duvall absolutely looked like she would mentally crack(for REAL) in front of the cameras.Im not sure that was just good acting!! JUST FRIGHTENING !
...and most recently, the movie Signs, with my favorite Mel Gibson. Those skittering footsteps on the roof and porch while they were locked inside was terrifying to me as were those little glimpses
of the ETs here and there.EWWWW!!! But I like to watch that and have seen it several times for kicks. (Love MEL and it was filmed not too far from here)
I remember watching King Kong and practically jumping outa my boots when the King peeked into Fay Wray's window. Watching Godzilla and Ultra man on TV when I was little scared me sometimes too.
HEY, remember Dark Shadows and Barnabas Collins???

I gotta go,
I'm scared

www.feedsackfarmgirls.blogspot.com
"If more of us valued good food, cheer and song above hoarded gold,the world would be a merrier place."
J.J.R.Tolkien

Edited by - BlueEggBabe on Oct 09 2005 4:22:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2005 :  4:33:44 PM  Show Profile
BEB, Oh I forgot about Signs!!! That was a doozey! The barking of their German Shepard and then suddenly it yelps and is silent....the long green arm reaching out of that old coal shute nearly did me in...and the look of horror on Joequin Phoenix's face when he watched the amateur video of the kid's birthday party and that gross alien creeping around....Very VIVID psychological games this movie did...I will never look at a corn field the same, or windchimes.... I visited the hotel in Colorado that inspired Steven King to write The Shining...it is called The Stanley in Estes Park, CO, late 19th century, white lap siding, creaky oak floors and views of mountain peaks, very atmospheric indeed...and a big lawn with topiaries!!!! As for Dark Shadows I liked Quentin the best...the wolfman guy with the rockin sideburns...Barnabus seemed like a wus....that Sherlock Holmes coat he wore was soooo lame.

Go to Top of Page

Park Avenue
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Michele
Paradise Valley Alberta
Canada
57 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2005 :  4:55:22 PM  Show Profile
I am to much of a chicken to watch anything scarey. I know , its pathetic, they are just movies....but I just can't do it. I will have nightmares for days!
Needless to say halloween isn't a favorite holiday.
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2005 :  5:11:43 PM  Show Profile
"...and the look of horror on Joequin Phoenix's face when he watched the amateur video of the kid's birthday party and that gross alien creeping around...."

EWWWW!!Yes!Yes! That is exactly the scene I was thinking about!
How about the scene where Mel sees the reflection in the TV of the alien holding his kid... the one having an asthma attack....
ARRRRGHHHHHH.

"If more of us valued good food, cheer and song above hoarded gold,the world would be a merrier place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2005 :  5:16:08 PM  Show Profile
Michele,
I am pretty much a chicken too........
My daughter(and pals) love all those new high tech scary movies that have been coming out the last few years....The REALLY ugly scary ones.
I can't even watch the previews for those.
Gimme JAWS, anyday.
Now THAT was scary back in the day.

J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2005 :  5:57:42 PM  Show Profile
I am a scary movie wimp. The last one I saw was The Ring. And before that the one the college students filmed with a camcorder....can't think of the name of it. Both of them scared the heck out of me. I stick to cute kids dressed in silly costumes running around in fallen leaves looking for candy when it comes to Halloween. It's better for my blood pressure!

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2005 :  6:19:42 PM  Show Profile
OH! The Haunting of HIll House STILL gives me the creeps! Especially if I happen to catch it late at night! Psycho is an all-time favorite too. I can't take the "Halloween" type movies where the people walk right into something really bad because they don't think..."OH, all the lights are out, but only at my house...perhaps I'll go down to the dark basement to check the fuses.And what is that strange noise? Sounds like an axe being sharpened!" Maybe those characters deserve what they get? (wink wink)
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2005 :  6:33:43 PM  Show Profile
Glad I'm not the only one who does not do scary movies, period. There's enough happening in the world that is real, let alone the made up stuff. I'm with Robin, kids in Halloween costumes is it for me on this holiday!

May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently through the world and know its beauty all the days of your life. ~~Apache Blessing
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2005 :  6:45:00 PM  Show Profile
One more scaredy cat here! I leave the room or change the channel quickly if they show an ad for a scary movie on TV. For some reason when I was young, I did watch Dark Shadows, Night Gallery, and Psycho. Guess the bad dreams convinced me that I'm a "child of the light" - the lighter side of life, anyway!
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2005 :  9:27:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
How about "Stigmata"? Now that was a creepy movie.

I LOVE scary movies.. "Night of the Living Dead" that's my favorite, and "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes"..camp is so much fun. I was an absolute DARK SHADOWS junky when I was a kid...maybe because the real world of dysfunction I lived in was scarier.Think of all the famous people who came out of that show.Kate Jackson, David Soul,David Selby,Loius Edmonds..most eveyone on there! What fun, hadn't thought about them in years.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2005 :  11:12:36 PM  Show Profile
I used to watch scary movies when I was younger but just can't do it now. I've turned into a big chicken in my old age. But one I love to watch that is based on a scary movie is "Young Frankenstein" with Gene Wilder!

I'm still hot...it just comes in flashes.
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  06:05:42 AM  Show Profile
I like to pay to be scared!!! I pay to ride rollercoasters for the same reason!!Nothing like a good scream!!!AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
I grew up watching Alfred Hitchcock. Nothing like the old black and white days.The Birds,Psycho,Vertigo. He had one where the you put on these glasses and you could see peoples thoughts and they showed the noodles of a brain whenever the actor would look at somebody.I can still <edit in the word> see those scenes in the dark of my minds eye. I graduated to Clive Barker.Candyman Lord of Illusion. I'm waiting for his Sacrament to be made into a movie. I like slashers too...check out Mothers Day.Did anybody see the Grudge, I had to leave the lights on when I went to bed.

Edited by - ByHzGrace on Oct 10 2005 06:07:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

tiffany01
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Tiffany
Indiana
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  06:55:35 AM  Show Profile
My overactive imagination keeps me from seeing anything too scary. In high school I allowed a date to talk me into Night of The Living Dead II and I couldn't walk out to my car in the dark the next morning to go to work! More recently it was The Sixth Sense. It was such a good movie but certain parts kept me from going to the bathroom in the middle of the night for months! Particularly when the kid went to the bathroom and saw the shadow of feet walking past in the crack under the door. Yikes! Therefore my favorite Halloween movie is Hocus Pocus with Bette Midler.
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  10:33:11 AM  Show Profile

oh my gosh......
I can't believe what I just did.
Ran to the dollar store to pick up paper supplies for the Halloween party we are having in a few weeks. At the checkout I noticed a freestanding display with $1 DVD's on it and there were dozens of old, 'scary', "B" movies with Bella Legosi, Anthony Perkins, Vincent Price, etc.
There are two movies on each DVD.......I got 3!
Okay,what can I say....I am going to have a house full of 17-21 yr old kids. I think they will get a kick out of them cause they are so cheesey. For me...a collection of old Casper shorts
I'll let you know how scary they are!!

J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  10:48:17 AM  Show Profile
Susan, BEB -- You are TOO funny!!!!

May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently through the world and know its beauty all the days of your life. ~~Apache Blessing
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  11:58:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Blue Egg..if any of those boys start eatin' with a shovel near the table, watch out!

"I don't have any cutttttttlery"

"Don't bring any more of those filthy girls into my house...Love, Mother"
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  06:27:38 AM  Show Profile
Oh you girls are all great!! I just love the scary ones. Not so much the blood and guts ones, although that doesn't bother me, I just love the mind thrilling ones. My favs are the Halloween series with Jamie Lee Curtis. the music was fantastic and isn't that what gets us most of the time is the excellent timing of the music?

"I wanna touch the earth, I want to break it in my hands, I want to grow something wild and unruly"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  06:36:23 AM  Show Profile
I am not a scary movie watcher at all. BUT...as a kid my friends and I raced home to watch Dark Shadows..it scared the heck out of me and we still loved it. I am sort of surprized that my mom let us watch it. I remember going to a birthday party at a friends house when I was in the 5th grade and we all ran in and watch Dark Shadows together before the party could start!

Jenny in Utah
Put all your eggs in one basket..and then watch that basket!! Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  10:39:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
I spent a LOT of time practicing Angelique's spells...geez they never did work...How about you Aunt Jenny?
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  1:18:38 PM  Show Profile
BEB Sue, I love Casper! He sounds pretty good to me...The B movies are some of the funniest and the best to watch for Halloween. have you ever heard of the old Hammer films? They were made in England in the 50's-70's...Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee. Those are hoot too, and sometimes the ones done in the 70's were a little risque ( the heaving bosom scimpy nightgown clad women) They were generally campy and pure CORN...

Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  1:47:03 PM  Show Profile

oh no....
somebody told me today that Walmart has even more selection for $1!!
I got the "Head that wouldn't Die" and "How Awful about Allen" with Anthony Perkins....the others escape me at the moment.
Gonna have to go to Walmart to see what is there.
I will watch Casper and Friends ASAP and send it off to you.
This all started because I was looking for a SPOOKY SOUNDS CD...never did get one. Found these instead!

J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  2:04:05 PM  Show Profile
The Head That Wouldn't Die was definitely pre-women's lib era. I think that is when a scientists wife is in a terrible car crash and he saves her head and keeps it alive in his labratory...talk about being under a man's thumb!!!! Only she ends up being the more powerful because it's just her "head" doin the talking and not her body, if ya know what I mean (no cute aprons in this 50's flick) Another from that era was The Tingler, about some kind of giant centipede looking thing that gets in peoples spine and makes them do weird things. The Tingler liked to hang out in dark movie theatres and strike people as they were enjoying their popcorn and Saturday night movie on dates...YUK! It would crawl on the ailes and then snake it's way up some poor guys pants. Then he changes into a murderous sociopath and strangles his poor date later on. Hey, I better stop rambling or I will let the "tingler" outta the bag... Your party sounds cool, what treats will you be serving? Bobbing for apples in an old washtub on the leaf strewn stone front porch as a hoot owl hoots in the distance? I can only imagine Pennsylvannia ( rhymes with Trannsylvannia) farms are so cool and quaint and atmospheric around All Hallows Eve...BOO!!!! BTW Did you know there is a Transylvannia University somewhere back east?

Go to Top of Page

Anna
MaryJane's Farmgirl

27 Posts

Pullman WA
27 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  2:51:13 PM  Show Profile
When I was in high school there was a cathedral in Spokane that would show Nosferatu around Halloween on a huge screen accompanied by a live organ...it was so creepy to see that movie in this huge cathedral with booming organ music! I love being scared, though, and my friends and I always had a blast. :^)

The Sewing Girl at MaryJanesFarm :^)
Go to Top of Page

mdotterer
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Marlene
Pleasant Hill CA
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  4:05:36 PM  Show Profile
I'm in the wimpy category. I just won't go near these things. I did see the Sixth Sense and I had trouble sleeping for a while. I saw stigmata, but it was too stupid to give me nightmares. Besides, it had Gabriel Byrnes - far too comforting to scare me.

I do love Halloween, though! I just leave out the gory stuff. I'm more into the old Samhain celebration. I'd rather be a real witch than one of those ugly Hollywood things!
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  6:13:40 PM  Show Profile

I am still contemplating the party treats. Definitely a cauldron of, what?.....CHILI over the fire!! Hmm, who might have a good chili recipe?? I already bought the five spice powder!
I have a huge cast iron pot with feet on it that I will use. That's all the further I got. I was thinking standard hockey-boy fare of nachos/quesadillas/salad and maybe a taco dip with a rubber hand or some lizards crawling out.
This is a potluck too, so maybe another mom will bring something creative. I want to make at least one batch of MJ marshmallows for smores.They are so yummy.
Spinning my gears thinking mostly of outdoor decorations since we are having a bonfire.
Scarecrows, spiderwebs, jack-o-lanterns, some surprises....
I will have help decorating from 2 moms who are taking the day off work and bringing stuff to decorate with so it should be interesting!!

Was trying to think of at least one game to play, but forgot about bobbing for apples. The big galvanized tub usually holds the "beverages" but I might have to rethink that..(Not!)
OH, and the "HEAD" ....she looks so glamourous with her earrings and red lipstick...can't wait to see that one!!

J.J.R.Tolkien

Edited by - BlueEggBabe on Oct 11 2005 6:19:49 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Reading Room: Previous Topic Halloween Horror Movie Favorites Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page