Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Needing cherry pie filling canning recipe
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Needing cherry pie filling canning recipe Next Topic  

ashcordes
True Blue Farmgirl

197 Posts

Ashley
Roann IN
USA
197 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  12:55:28 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone have a recipe for canning cherry pie filling. My aunt called and said I can have all her cherries if I come pick them....now I need to know what to do with them! Thanks for any tips/advice/recipes you can share!

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  5:14:34 PM  Show Profile
Yes!!! I know I have posted it here somewhere before but will again:( I can up pie filling each year and cherry is one of my favorites...not always cherries available here..so when I can get them I can up all I can!!)
Cherry Pie filling
4 1/2 cups sugar
5 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp salt (optional)
16 cups fresh pitted cherries
1 cup minute tapioca
2 tsp almond extract
10 cups water

Stir together all the dry stuff first in a really big stock pot and then add water. Cook on med high heat. Stir and cook until thickened and bubbly then cook an additional 2 min. Addlemon juice and then add the fruit to the sauce. Stir constantly and bring mixture up to a rolling boil and cook 1 minute. Promptly ladle into quart jars leaving 1/2 " headroom. Process the jars in boiling water bath canner for 25 min. A quart is just enough for one pie...and this makes 7 quarts usually.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com

Edited by - Aunt Jenny on Jun 23 2008 5:36:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

ashcordes
True Blue Farmgirl

197 Posts

Ashley
Roann IN
USA
197 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  06:22:50 AM  Show Profile
Thanks a ton Aunt Jenny...I'll post and let ya know how it turns out...I appreciate it! I knew I could probably find someting online, but it's always better to get a "tried and true" recipe :)
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  7:59:10 PM  Show Profile
Oh MAN! Just boiling these in the canner now. . .I'm so pleased with it! Thanks Jenny for the recipe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, Jenny, can you use this recipe for berries for pies (raspberries, etc?) Thanks for the great info!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  8:27:50 PM  Show Profile
Yes!! And with some changes in spices (add cinnamon and allspice) and a little less lemon juice you can use it for apple or peach too.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  8:29:47 PM  Show Profile
Oh wow. We'd better get picking! Thanks so much!
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2008 :  2:54:17 PM  Show Profile
Aunt Jenny!!
Thanks for sharing this - I have looked and looked for a pie filling recipe My mother-in-law and I canned 36 quarts of pie cherries in syrup one year, boy did that take a while, but I would like to branch out
Amy Grace
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2008 :  4:22:47 PM  Show Profile
Ashley, One year a friend let us pick all of their cherries off of her trees. She is an elderly lady. So we did.. a ton! I didn't have any sugar so found a recipe stating that I could can the cherries just in water. So I did. They were wonderful. The kids ate them in oatmeal, plain, and sometimes I would mix some cornstarch in with the water from the can- cook over heat with some sugar until thick. We would pour it over vanilla ice cream.. I made a lot of pies.. Really I just emptied the jar into the pot- added sugar in 1/2 cup increments. I reserved some of the water to mix with some cornstarch after it was the desired sweetness. It worked every time and made the best pies..
yum!
If I can can anything just in plain water I do it- so much easier and so many more uses. I think I did apple slices that way too.

Blessings, Debra
Psalms 23:1 "The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want."
"Your life is an occasion, Rise to it." Mr Magorium..
http://myvintagehome.blogspot.com
http://woolieacres.net
Go to Top of Page

N Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Marie
Seattle Washington
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2008 :  8:12:30 PM  Show Profile
Sorry to piggy-back, but I figured since this is already up...

Does anyone have a recipe for pie filling for 1.5 lbs of sour pie cherries? I found some organic montmorency cherries at the farmers market yesterday! Also, I don't really care much for almond extract, but if your recipe calls for it, I'll still happily take it!

Farmgirl #181
Blue-collar born and raised, and dang proud of it!
http://yarnfoodcoffee.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2008 :  8:15:10 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Hey Jenny,
Have you ever used your recipe with Cherry Plums?

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2008 :  8:17:59 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Are you all using sweet cherries or tart?

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2008 :  10:04:48 PM  Show Profile
The cherries I have used are sour cherries mostly. I have actually used the same recipe for sour and sweet..there are more sour around here though. And Rene...nope..I have never done it with cherry plums..I would sure try it though. Can you pit them just like cherries?? If so I would sure try doing it..if nothing else it would make yummy cobblers, right??

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2008 :  08:26:54 AM  Show Profile
Ohh, yum! Thanks for sharing the information. Our cherries are far from ready here, but I can see getting a lot of use out of this recipe. Thank you so much!

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

papersmiles
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Barbara
Bluffton IN
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2010 :  10:40:32 PM  Show Profile
I just used Aunt Jenny's recipe for canned cherry pie filling and it turned out great. I did make two changes. One was to use cornstarch instead of tapioca (I didn't have any tapioca...lol) and I also boiled the cherries for about 10 minutes instead of one minute. It seems to keep the fruit from "floating". Thanks so much for the recipe.

Barbara
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2010 :  10:16:29 PM  Show Profile
Welcome to the group Barbara! I have used cornstarch in a pinch as well and it works well! I will haveo try the longer cook time for the cherries..they do tend to float some.
I wish there were fresh cherries here this year to can..with our super late spring (we had a big snowstorm on May 24th) there are no cherries. sigh. But...I have high hopes for my apples and peaches and plums this year anyhow.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Needing cherry pie filling canning recipe Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page