knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2010 :  12:24:12 PM  Show Profile
I want to start making my own cottage cheese, but am not sure where to start. I've been looking at different recipes, but they are pretty different. Would you call care to share tips and/or your recipe? I eat a ton of cottage cheese and fresh homemade has to be better. It always is with everything else!

~Ashley
"In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we understand; and we will understand only what we have been taught." -Baba Dioum

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2010 :  08:34:50 AM  Show Profile
Hey Ashley. I was looking at a blog and she has a really easy recipe. Go to www.thehighlandviewpantry.blogspot.com and there is a link to her buttermilk cheese and cottage cheese recipes. I just started some cottage cheese. I hope it works. I have tried before with no luck. I hope this works for you. And I am going to the PO tomorrow to mail those magazines to you.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2010 :  11:55:13 AM  Show Profile
It looks pretty easy to make so I am going to give it a try, too. The only thing I worry about is how the milk should not be ultra pasteurized. The only milk I can find is ultra pasteurized bc I don’t have any animals that give milk. I hope it works out ok anyway. We'll see, right? What are going to do with your whey? I'm not really sure what to do with mine, but I'll find something. I hate to waste anything! Thanks again for sending those magazines. I hope it is no trouble. I'll send 'em back as soon as Kevin can look at the plans:)

~Ashley
"In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we understand; and we will understand only what we have been taught." -Baba Dioum
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2010 :  12:40:31 PM  Show Profile
Do you make bread? When I have whey I will use it instead of milk. And you can use it in soups or gravies. Anything you'd use milk for. If you go to the part that has the recipe for the buttermilk cheese she explains why not to use u;tra pasturized milk. It's been overheated so many times many of the enzymes have been destroyed. Therefore not the best for making cheese or cultures. I guess cheese needs lots of enzymes. That's why you need a goat! She does use pasturized milk though. Also on www.chickensintheroad.com she has a cow and pasturizes her milk. I don't. I like raw milk with all the good bacteria and benifits. Why mess with Mother Nature?

Good luck!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2010 :  3:12:01 PM  Show Profile
You are right! I do need a goat. We are slowly getting there. I can't wait to get a goat and a cow OR a few of both:) We give the boys organic milk and I drink Mayfield usually (they drink so much I can’t afford to drink organic too) buttttt I looked at the Mayfield milk and it was only pasteurized the organic milk was ultra-pasteurized I think it is because its 1% nutrish with acidibifidus (spelling?). Anyway, we'll see how it turns out.

If you ever want to sell some unpasteurized milk "animal grade" and for "animal consumption only" let me know. The dogs, chickens, and turkeys would like the cheese I can make from it:)

The websites are great. Honestly her story (chickens in the road) of how she became a farm gal brought tears to my eyes (one of those cry on a dime kind of days). I'm going to give it a good looking at, who knows what I might find:)

~Ashley
Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2010 :  12:59:01 PM  Show Profile
My cottage cheese turned out ok (I think). I've not tried any yet, b/c I like mine cold. Did yours turn out?

~Ashley
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2010 :  2:33:41 PM  Show Profile
I just made mine. It is good but will be better when it's cold. I added salt. I left some of the whey because I don't like it too dry. I will try it again in a few hours. I need all the good bacteria I can get right now. I am drinking kefir and will have kimchi and cottage cheese for dinner!

I am going to make some every day now since I have so much milk. I am going to make bread tomorrow and will use the whey instead of milk. I need to make some zuchinni bread too. Yum. I have lots of that right now.

I emailed you. And I would be glad to meet you halfway somewhere and bring you some milk to try. I also have a friend with 2 Jerseys and she is swimming in milk right now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Cottage Cheese? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page