Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 How to get skunk smell out of house?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic How to get skunk smell out of house? Next Topic  

Yogifarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jenn
Swiftwater PA
USA
297 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2008 :  7:51:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Yogifarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
My dog got skunked tonight. She wasn't in the house but the windows were open and now the whole first floor smells like skunk. Any ideas?? I tried the peroxide/baking soda on poor ol sammie but don't know what to do about the house.

www.sundariyoga.com

"Breathe in the Sunshine"

82kygal
True Blue Farmgirl

548 Posts

Laura
Somerset Kentucky
USA
548 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  05:44:14 AM  Show Profile
A long time ago my dog got skunked,it and ran into my house,(golden retriever) he was so upset before I could catch him he had rubbed on my couch and on the floor. I used alot of baking soda and did a lot of scrubbing but it mostly just took time.

With God, all things are possible. (Mark 10:27)
What ever you are, be a good one. (Abe Lincoln)
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  06:48:37 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
i have always heard to pour tomatoe juice on the dog?????dont know if it really works, as far as the house goes i have always heard if you buy a bunch of apples, slice them in quarters and close the room up for a while the apples in it, they will absorb the odor.
havent tried that either, but might be worth a try.,

love
frannie in texas

(http://farmfolks-frannie.blogspot.com/)
(http://abunnystale.blogspot.com/)
(http://abunnystale.wordpress.com/)
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  08:57:06 AM  Show Profile
How about boiling a big pot of strong vinegar water? vinegar takes smells away...
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  09:06:08 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
My mother used to stuff charcoal in the corners of the room for really bad odors that wafted through the house. They smoked heavily and it seemed to help some. I would keep the windows open and get some fans blowing to draw the air out. Maybe hanging sachets of lavender here and there would help too???

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  3:00:19 PM  Show Profile
The vinegar helps a lot.
I had a skunk wander into my yard and die. We think its Mother died and he got hit by a car or something.
My dad and son scooped him up and disposed of him. However, the residual ground effects stunk things up for a while. (It was the dead of winter too...)

Anyways, I set out small bowls of vinegar in every room of the house, and it took a lot of the smell away. Eventually the rest just aired out by itself.

Good luck.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

mrsmorgen
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

morgen
coudersport pa
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  4:34:44 PM  Show Profile
My dog ran a skunk into the back porch ( enclosed off the kitchen) and convinced him to spray there! That was several years ago adn I scrubbed it with a degreaser which helped but wonder if the antiskunk stuff they have at the vets would work better. It was great on the dog the next time he got sprayed. Honestly sometimes on a damp sticky day, I can still smell skunk on the back porch. Our siding in there is wood that just sucked it in I think. the stuff from the vet worked wonders on the dog.

morgen

I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all..
laura ingalls wilder

www.laubers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Yogifarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jenn
Swiftwater PA
USA
297 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  07:10:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Yogifarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Natures miracle has a skunk product that I tried and worked really well. Thanks for all your help

www.sundariyoga.com

"Breathe in the Sunshine"
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  07:52:26 AM  Show Profile
If you ever run into this again the one item I swear by is "Order Ban" You have to look around for it but when you find it I purchase gallons at a time. I can clean everything that has to do with animals in it, even get rid on skunk out of fleeces, dogs, clothes etc. I also clean everything before kidding season and afterwards - this is why I never get sick animals - it kills most bacteria and strains of staff infections.
Good luck and Good smells.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  8:15:55 PM  Show Profile
What a timely topic for me! Although it's not my dog who is smelling skunky tonight, but rather my husband who got sprayed! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! Can't make him sleep outside! SO. . .he's tried many things this evening--the classic tomato juice, coffee soap, lemon juice, toothpaste. . .now he's a weird combo scented fellow, with the skunk scent still shining through. Oh boy.
Go to Top of Page

BarnChickCecily
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

Cecily
Corydon IN
USA
673 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2008 :  6:56:23 PM  Show Profile
Yikes! I have a family of 6 skunks that were living under my air conditioning unit... my hubby put out moth balls and a bowl of ammonia. I think they moved... but only to a different location around our house. They haven't skunked anything so far, KNOCK ON WOOD! Sounds weird, but they are kinda cute... some of them are babies. I know that I would definately feel differently if I got skunked! Good luck with the smells, ladies. And, if I do get skunked, I will be asking for your advice!

Farmgirl Sister # 241
www.thebarnchick.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic How to get skunk smell out of house? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page