UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2008 :  11:58:21 AM  Show Profile
Hey, it's been a while but I have some new developements with my horse going on. I just moved to a new barn that has pasture board. I moved with my 12 yr old fox trotter mare and a 3 yr old friesian colt gelding. The gelding belongs to another owner but when I leave with my mare to go to the farrier (he won't come to my barn,he's stubborn) the poor gelding just runs the fence line and calls and calls. He seems alright when I come back but I am afraid to leave on competition this year because I would be gone all night for 2 or 3 days sometimes. The other owner and I thought about getting a companion horse out there for him but we are looking for a rideable horse but we are unsure of our grass situation and how long the pasture would last with 3 horses eating and trampling it. I'm sure by next year the grass would sustain 3 horses just fine. I'm holding off compeating with her this year just for this reason. Is there an alternative pet (like a goat or sheep) that would make a good companion for the gelding while we are away that won't eat a ton of grass and get along well with horses? The problem is the fence is just 3 board horse fencing would there be an animal that wouldn't need additional fencing up to keep it in pasture? We thought about a mini but people have warned me not to keep minis and full size horses together in case the mini kicks and breaks the leg of the full size horse.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2008 :  9:14:12 PM  Show Profile
With such a young horse, I wouldn't get sheep. They don't make very good companions for horses, and most horses DON'T like them ANYWAY! I DO have my sheep with my horses, but they have all lived together for the past several years, so my horses have become used to them-- Besides, that's a whole different animal to care for that has very different nutritional needs. Copper, which horses need in much higher quantities, is VERY toxic to sheep. Plus the sheep require more care than horses which might be more than you are willing to deal with. Goats would probably get out of your fences and they can be a handful all by themselves. They seem to ALWAYS be looking for trouble! (I have THOSE too!)

Have you thought about a Donkey or an older pony as a companion? Depending on your pasture size, it might work well-- especially if you and your horse will be gone several days at a time throughout the year. Not to mention the fact that a Pony eat's about half as much as a full size horse. My first horse (which I still have) had a Pony companion for years and they did fine together. I have never had a Donkey, so I can't honestly say how that would work-- but since they are in the same family as horses, well... I just thought that might be an option too. Hope you find a solution!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  07:04:12 AM  Show Profile
I agree with Tracey on the sheep/horse combo...it's a mix that isn't optimal unless they've "grown up" together. Our rams do okay with the horses but I have had injuries with ewes/lambs in with them. When I had only one horse I did put him in with my sheep for buddies and it worked okay but I had a larger breed then and he didn't know anything different besides sheep. I put up a hot tape to keep the horse out of the sheep minerals and vice versa for the horse mineral block (put it in a plastic garbage can the sheep couldn't get into tied to the fence) but the sheep chewed my horse's tail off!

I live in a valley with tons of horses and I do see the pygmy goats out with single horses a lot. I have no personal experience with this combination but it seems to be something common around here. We have 4 horses so they don't need any more buddies.

Good luck. It always amazes me to come home from a mountain ride and have the horses left at home more sweaty than the ones you were riding.

Jami in WA

Okay, so now I have a blog. http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

TabithaLenox
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Kim
Gettysburg PA
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  07:41:57 AM  Show Profile
I agree that a donkey/older pony would be a perfect companion.

Kim

Farmgirl #184

http://www.tabithalenox.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  08:49:12 AM  Show Profile
If you have a way of seperating the gelding and the mare into two seperate pastures, he will get used to her being away from him, and at first they will just stay by the fence together, but as they get comfortable, they will wander further and further away and he will realize he wont die if he's alone. I had the same problem with my mare and gelding, and most trainers around here will keep mares/geldings in seperate pastures, even if they "share" the same fence. It would be more affordable and less risky to put up some tposts, and the wide ribbone like fencing, than it would be to take on another mouth to feed, plus health issues, plus behavior, etc...
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2008 :  07:22:05 AM  Show Profile
I have done the goat/horse combo and it worked fine but you'll have to fix the fence to keep the goat in.

I've had a couple of donkeys years ago and maybe that's the best idea.

Winona ;-)

When you lose, don't lose the lesson!!

http://goneriding.wordpress.com/

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Horse troubles Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page