Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Poison Ivy in my Back Yard - A LOT of It
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Poison Ivy in my Back Yard - A LOT of It Next Topic  

carolbrigid
True Blue Farmgirl

263 Posts

Carol
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
263 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2008 :  08:05:31 AM  Show Profile  Send carolbrigid a Yahoo! Message
Help,please. I have a section in my back yard that is loaded with poison ivy. It's probably about 4 feet by 15 feet in size. I bought some stuff last year (I'm sorry, I don't remember the name of it now) and my son sprayed the poison ivy. We thought it was long gone. It is back again. And the vines are starting to creep out into the yard where the nice grass is.

Does anyone know how to get rid of poison ivy? Any suggestions please? Thank you so much.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Carol

Farmgirl Sister #222
Member, Crafty Bay Farmgirl Chapter

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2008 :  2:36:53 PM  Show Profile
The best way is to borrow a goat. Goats LOVE poison ivy & it does not hurt them. Not sure if this is viable or not, but I know from experience that my gals think they have died & gone to heaven when they come across some poison ivy!
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2008 :  3:00:31 PM  Show Profile
My dad got a goat when they discovered how allergic to poison ivy I was. Alfie ate his share of it for sure and kept me from having long, itchy summers! Although, he had to go when his tastes changed to my mom's dining room curtains. :(

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
www.madrekarin.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  05:31:52 AM  Show Profile
My husband uses a poison ivy spray by Ortho called, "Brush B-Gone, Brush and Poison Ivy Spray". It has been extremely effective. You have to use it during the growing season only. That's now through early September. Once you've sprayed it, don't go near it until the vine is dead. Poison ivy is never dormant, so it is nasty all year long. We had a yard full of it when we bought our house 6 years ago. Fortunately my husband kept at it until it was completely gone. Stock up on TechNu when you prepare to go to battle. NEVER burn poison ivy! Good luck on getting it out of your yard!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

82kygal
True Blue Farmgirl

548 Posts

Laura
Somerset Kentucky
USA
548 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  05:56:00 AM  Show Profile
We used the same thing at our house as Dawn does. Our house stood unoccupied for two years before we bought it. (I moved here from Idaho we didn't have it there.)I knew nothing about poison ivy until I got it. And got it I did!! Very miserable summer. My hubby has worked very hard to keep it down and every year it gets a little better. I haven't gotten into it now in two years. Good luck and just stick with it.

With God, all things are possible. (Mark 10:27)
What ever you are, be a good one. (Abe Lincoln)
Go to Top of Page

carolbrigid
True Blue Farmgirl

263 Posts

Carol
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
263 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  07:27:41 AM  Show Profile  Send carolbrigid a Yahoo! Message
Thank you soooo much for the suggestions!!! I don't remember what we used last year Dawn, but I don't think that it was Brush-B-Gone Spray. So I will definitely be being that!! What is TechNu? I am allergic to poison ivy, which I'm sure a lot of people are. I had a miserable summer, too, Laura, some years ago and I will never forget it. I was COVERED with it and MISERABLE too.

And Lisa and Karen, I would LOVE to have a goat but I'm in an urban area and I don't think I'm allowed to have a goat here. I wish, though. I love animals and one day I'll have my little farm and have all the animals my heart desires!!
Thank you all so much! Farm sisters are awesome!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Carol

Farmgirl Sister #222
Member, Crafty Bay Farmgirl Chapter
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  08:17:59 AM  Show Profile
TechNu is a lotion you use after you are done working in the yard. You strip off all of your work clothes (in the house of course!) and immediately put them in the wash. Then put the TechNu all over your body, wait a few minutes, then shower. It removes the sticky oil from poison ivy and prevents outbreaks. It has worked perfectly for us. Both my husband & I were coated in poison ivy when we first moved here. I was miserable, but my husband had the worst outbreak our doctor had ever seen. My husband had huge blisters that lasted for a few months. What a horrible mess that was. Good luck, read everything you can on that stuff, and best of luck on your war with poison ivy!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Bfriday
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

Jessica
Miles TX
125 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  1:25:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Bfriday an AOL message
I think I read something about a vinegar drench to kill it...or maybe a vinegar based organic to control it? I don't know?!

Farmgirl Sister #188
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Poison Ivy in my Back Yard - A LOT of It Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page