Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Hummingbird food gone bad? Next Topic  

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  07:48:19 AM  Show Profile
I feed hummingbirds with the typical syrup and feeder but it has gotten cloudy and I am wondering if that means it has "gone bad"?
Does anyone know? I'm new to feeding them and I certainly don't want to make them sick. They still seem to come to the feeder but would like to know for sure as there is quite a bit left in it and I don't want to pitch it if I don't have to.
Any info would be appreciated!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  08:44:04 AM  Show Profile
Everything I've every read about feeding hummingbirds said to through it out if the nectar becomes cloudy. I'm sure it's a tad hot in Arkansas right now and that will hasten the spoilage. It's best to have small feeders you can refill. We make up about a quart and keep the extra in the fridge. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  09:32:09 AM  Show Profile
When it gets 80+ I've always heard to change the syrup every 2-3 days, depending on heat. It doesn't keep well. Nice thing is you can mix up a batch and fill in small amounts, keeping the rest in the fridge. A quart jar of hummer-juice keeps nicely and looks cheerful in there. Good time to clean the feeder too. Their little beaks can get caught and they can die. I drilled out my feeder holes at a better angle, can't remember where I read about that...but no accidents yet, and darling visitors.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  10:31:45 AM  Show Profile
Oh...thank you for the advice! I wasn't thinking I could put some of it in the fridge for later...DUH! Great idea and I NEVER knew they could get stuck....oh my gosh...I would feel terrible although I have it hanging right outside my kitchen window and I watch them all the time. I have 2 feeders and only one at a time hanging up. I bought another one so they would never be without while I'm washing and filling the other one. The drill thing is a good idea. I usually take a little brush or toothbrush (old one...not one I'm using..tee hee) and ensure the holes are clean.
You guys are terrific! Where else could I go and get all of life's truly important questions answered...I mean it....you guys know everything! Thank you so much...I love my little ones and my Mother loved them too and this is her house and although she is gone I sometimes wonder if these are the same hummingbirds or related to the ones she fed and watched out the same window?
They are precious and so are you gals! Thank you!

Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  2:24:18 PM  Show Profile
yes you should throw it out if cloudy. It should be pretty clear. You may want to reduce the amount of sugar as well. This may help it last a little longer. I have to change mine everyother day when it gets really hot.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

LeslieAnne
True Blue Farmgirl

71 Posts

LeslieAnne
Shallowater Texas
USA
71 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  2:56:12 PM  Show Profile
Sam, I'm jumping in here a little late, 'cause all the great advice has already been given... just wanted to comment on your speculation that your hummers might be the same as or related to the ones your mother used to feed... hummingbirds have EXCELLENT memories & they can live as long as 10-12 years, so it's possible, even probable, they've been to your house many times before...

LeslieAnne...westTexas
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  3:19:20 PM  Show Profile
Thank you LeslieAnne...I can't tell you how much that means to know that. I kept meaning to get a book on hummingbirds but so far haven't. That is so neat to think they might be the same ones. I talk to them all the time....all my animals....the neighbors are cautious of me and I guess I can't blame them but on some level I think we all can communicate with our animal friends. I've already got their new food out there and the rest is in the fridge...ready to go!
Thanks for all the advice....stupid humans can be dangerous to the animal world and I wouldn't want them to get sick because of my ignorance or not be able to depend on me having food out there for them. Once you start I think you should keep it up and be dependable for them.

Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  3:22:09 PM  Show Profile
Oh...and thanks Julie! Did you get some of that rain today? I loved it.....no watering when it rains!

Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

LeslieAnne
True Blue Farmgirl

71 Posts

LeslieAnne
Shallowater Texas
USA
71 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  5:25:56 PM  Show Profile
You're welcome, Sam... I love my hummingbirds & all my other critters & spend a lot of time talking to them when I'm out in the garden... I don't have the neighbor problem, though... they all live too far away to notice my "eccentricities"!!!..

LeslieAnne...westTexas
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Hummingbird food gone bad? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page