Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Corn, laying down on the job! Next Topic  

Bfriday
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

Jessica
Miles TX
125 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  1:50:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Bfriday an AOL message
We have had several thunderstorms this week. They have all happened in the middle of the night and I have been wakened by strong wind,thunder and lightning. The wind gusts have been reported in areas at 70 miles an hour.
The first night the thunderstorm hit I layed in bed wide awake wondering what damamge would be done to my garden. The next morning I woke up eager to go out a survey any damamge. I was full of glee to see that everything looked great, except my corn, the stalks were layed over. As I looked closer, I saw that they were intact and the soil around the bottom was wet and loose and they just blew over. I got down and dirty in my pj's that morning packing the soil back around the roots and standing them all back up. Last night was storm #2 and when I went out to check the garden this morning...Yep, the corn was layed over. I packed it all back down stood them all back up. But, I have to wonder...Am I going to have to do this after every wind and rain? Anyone else ever had this happen?

Farmgirl Sister #188

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  2:33:31 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Jessica- please send some rains this way...we are getting nothing!!!

I don't know what to do about yer corn...maybe corn holders??? Not the little things you stick in the ends to eat it but some longer dowel type things or fencing you could loosely tie the stalks too???

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

SusieQue
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Susie
Greenville Ga
Georgia
603 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2008 :  5:38:06 PM  Show Profile
Jessica, we had the same thing happen to us. We had a wind blowing storm here in our part of Ga and I could not belive the corn. I really don't remember years ago my grandfather having that problem. We did the best we could but I thought that was so strange and am wondering if we will keep having to do the same also.
Go to Top of Page

AliShuShu
True Blue Farmgirl

150 Posts

Alison
Charlotte NC
USA
150 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  6:53:47 PM  Show Profile  Send AliShuShu an AOL message  Send AliShuShu a Yahoo! Message
same here in charlotte... we got down & dirty with the corn this afternoon and are expecting another storm tonight.. so i guess we'll see... would love to hear from someone that might know if our antics will work...
happy day,
alison

Alison
I think that if ever a mortal heard the voice of God it would be in a garden at the cool of the day. ~F. Frankfort Moore, A Garden of Peace
Namaste'
www.shumusings.com
Go to Top of Page

Bfriday
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

Jessica
Miles TX
125 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  1:13:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Bfriday an AOL message
My corn is looking sad. I'm not sure if it because of the laying down and having to stand it back up or not. I hope it pulls through!! :( It is interesting to find out other Farmgirls are having the same corn delima! Let me know if your corn pulls through and stays healthy! For now I guess we'll just keep standing it back upright. huh?!

Farmgirl Sister #188
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Corn, laying down on the job! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page