82kygal
True Blue Farmgirl

548 Posts

Laura
Somerset Kentucky
USA
548 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2008 :  07:17:26 AM  Show Profile
What is your take on bleach? I hate the stuff my hubby thinks its the one and only cleaner. I am trying to find the harmful effects of it but can't find anything bad enough to convince him. Clorox cleaner hurts me to breath it in so he is not allowed to spray it when I am home. I Don't think it can be that great for you. Thanks for all your helpful info.

With God, all things are possible. (Mark 10:27)
What ever you are, be a good one. (Abe Lincoln)

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2008 :  07:53:32 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Hello Laura,
I have the same problem with most cleaning supplies. You can try to get him to switch to Vinegar by telling him even hospitals use it to disinfect medical instruments. It's the truth. Clorox also has a new line of green cleaners. I have not tried them but that might help. I use vinegar and water with a few drops of essential oil. Tree Tea is one that he might like as it has that antiseptic smell to it. I like a citrus smell makes me feel alive and energetic Search bleach here on MJF on the forum and you should come up with a list of old threads regarding this subject. Unfortunately I do still use bleach or a scrub with bleach as that's the only way I can get my sinks white and some of our clothes need it or they become dingy. I use it sparingly or have DH do it while I'm in another place of the house.

http://www.bboopster.blogspot.com
3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

82kygal
True Blue Farmgirl

548 Posts

Laura
Somerset Kentucky
USA
548 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2008 :  09:04:41 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, I will try the vineger solution. Using bleach sparingly isn't always easy I just watched him put a half a gal into his cooler because it smelled like fish.
If I could just get him to slow down with it a little bit.

Go to Top of Page

SusieQue
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Susie
Greenville Ga
Georgia
603 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2008 :  3:38:17 PM  Show Profile
Hi Laura, I can't be around clorox/bleach. It makes my site go blurry and leads to a migraine. My hubby loves it too but can't do anything with it if I am around.
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2008 :  3:52:40 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I still use bleach in our toilets and when someone is sick, I was the clothes or items I can in about a gallon of water to a capful of bleach. Nothing else seems to work but I do use is sparingly and only when necessary. We lived in a duplex with ALOT of mold and it was the only thing that worked.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2008 :  7:01:23 PM  Show Profile
Lura, one thing I can say about bleach is that it kills the good bacteria in your septic if you use toilet bowl cleaners with bleach. Baking soda may work better in the cooler to get the odor out. Thyme is supposed to be anti-bacterial and anti-viral so I have wiped things down in my house during the cold season with that. I simmer some thyme in hot water and use it in a spray bottle. I also can't use bleach in my wash because it turns the water brown. Maybe instead of finding info to convince your husband how bad bleach is, you may be able to find more info on how well natural products work on germs and odors. Good Luck!
Monica
Go to Top of Page

abigailc1973
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

abigail
orlando fl
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2008 :  9:44:39 PM  Show Profile
That's a great tip about the thyme, Monica, I didn't realize it had those properties and it smells great too! I had coupons for the new green Clorox cleaners, they're supposed to be made with all plant material and it actually smelled pretty good. Definately not a bleach smell. Laura, I use vinegar, dish soap and baking soda to clean our tub and shower, and even with our hard water, it gets it sparkling clean. I'm really liking the vinegar.
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2008 :  10:50:11 PM  Show Profile
Bleach is just a surface cleaner, anyway. It disinfects pretty well, but it doesn't cut into the germs below the surface layer of grime, so unless you do a thorough cleaning with it, it's pretty useless. I used quite a bit cleaning my new rental house this weekend, but that's an exception for me. I don't like bleach, because it really irritates my sense of smell, and gives me a bad cough if I don't get enough fresh air while I'm using it. I notice that the fumes seem to settle near the floor, too...so when I'm cleaning, if I get down to clean closer to the floor, I tear up and my eyes sting really bad.

But like in the case of this house, it gives a sure way to kill '''other people germs''' from the previous tenants, so I can feel better about places like the kitchen and the bathroom. I'm preeeety sure no germs could survive the cleaning they got with the Clorox, lol.

But if you mix it with a certain cleaner, doesn't it produce DEADLY fumes? I think it's ammonia...so like, window cleaners, etc. So that's something to definitely look out for.

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

82kygal
True Blue Farmgirl

548 Posts

Laura
Somerset Kentucky
USA
548 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  05:48:51 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, for all the great info. I do appreciate it and will try your suggestions. I am going to the store today to pick up some vineger. Does it make your house smell like vineger? Or is there a trick to that?

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  3:51:16 PM  Show Profile
Laura, the vinegar odor goes away as soon as it dries! Something else I forgot to mention are to use a steamer for cleaning. From everything I have heard the hot steam kills germs without any thing else.
Jodi, I know you can't mix bleach with dish soap.
Monica
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  3:52:45 PM  Show Profile
Oops. I mixed bleach with dishsoap. Not directly, but I finished disenfecting the tub with bleach, and then decided to try dishsoap to cut the soapy greasy guck.... Oh well, at least I'm still alive. LOL

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

82kygal
True Blue Farmgirl

548 Posts

Laura
Somerset Kentucky
USA
548 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  05:09:35 AM  Show Profile
A long long time ago while working at a grocery store after school, a friend of mine was going to do a really good job of cleaning the back storage room with bleach and dish soap. He ended up in the hospital for the rest of the day.

Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  9:07:45 PM  Show Profile
I'd say, if hubby wants the house cleaned w/ bleach, he'd be welcome to do it himself, while you are off relaxing! ;)

Funny Farm ramblings www.happydalehobby.blogspot.com/

www.tvalahandmade.com

The Soap Deck: http://blog.tvalahandmade.com/
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  9:17:54 PM  Show Profile
Haha... I LOVE Molly's idea...definitely go with that.

~Jodi

Go to Top of Page

82kygal
True Blue Farmgirl

548 Posts

Laura
Somerset Kentucky
USA
548 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2008 :  07:59:20 AM  Show Profile
He does clean, that is the problem everything gets cleaned with bleach and I can't stand the smell it hurts my lungs. I do appreciate the help but he thinks bleach is his best friend.LOL

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2008 :  10:02:00 PM  Show Profile
Laura, maybe you could get him a steamer and tell him how much it kills germs!!!! Good Luck!!
Monica
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

777 Posts

Lea
TN
777 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2008 :  9:03:34 PM  Show Profile
What great advice about using the vinegar! I am definately going to give it a try too. Though I have switched to "green" products for ALL my other cleaning, I just can't seem to get away from my love affair with bleach though I do use it minimally. But each time I use it, I always wonder about the harmful fumes or skin exposure. So glad you posted this topic, Laura!

Blessings, Lea
www.farmhouseblessings.blogspot.com
www.farmhouseblessings.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2008 :  9:27:21 PM  Show Profile
Jodi-- it IS Ammonia you're not supposed to mix with bleach (and anything else that contains ammonia as well). It creates a very toxic gas that can literally kill you! Bleach really shouldn't be mixed with ANYTHING, just to be safe.

Oh, as for cleaning sinks and other porcelain, there is a product called "Bar Keepers Friend" it's a powdered cleanser (like Ajax or Comet) and it is WONDERFUL at removing stains in your kitchen/bathroom sink and tub and toilet. It does contain Oxalic Acid, so you can't leave it sit overnight (it gets hard and is HARD to get off!), and you want to wash it off your skin ASAP. You can use it to remove water stains and film off of old glassware too! How many times have you found some beautiful old glass peices but they have that nasty film on them that NOTHING seems to be able to remove-- well, this stuff will actually take it off.

There are a few places around that sell it (hardware stores, some groceries and restaurant supply stores) but if you can't find it locally, Lehman's non-electric company has it in their catalog and on their website. (they sell a lot of goods to the Amish) It's the only thing that I have ever found that will clean my old kitchen sink and NOT turn it yellow!!!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Bleach Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page