Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 How to fix stiff towels on clothesline?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic How to fix stiff towels on clothesline? Next Topic  

Yogifarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jenn
Swiftwater PA
USA
297 Posts

Posted - May 29 2008 :  2:50:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Yogifarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I love my clothesline but the bath towels come out all hard and crunchy. Any ideas on how to correct that?

www.sundariyoga.com

"Breathe in the Sunshine"

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - May 29 2008 :  3:59:09 PM  Show Profile
I put a little vinegar in the rinse and then I give my towels a good Snap! before I hang them up. When I bring them inside, I toss them in the dryer on air for about 10 minutes. It takes most of the crunchy away for the wimps in my family. Personally, I love a nice crunchy towel. :)

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
www.madrekarin.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

aimeeravae
True Blue Farmgirl

341 Posts

Aimee
Deer River MN
USA
341 Posts

Posted - May 29 2008 :  4:27:28 PM  Show Profile
I also love a crunchy towel. I notice the windier the day the softer the towel. Giving it those few shakes really does help.

Aimee

"Taking joy in life is a woman's best cosmetic."-Rosalind Russell
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - May 29 2008 :  5:14:12 PM  Show Profile
I love a crunchy towel too, I notice it absorbs a lot more water than one dried in a dryer!
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Jeanna
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Jeanna
Franklin NC
USA
267 Posts

Posted - May 29 2008 :  5:39:22 PM  Show Profile
If you will use your dryer on them for about 10 minutes before you hang them they won't be as stiff. Works on bluejeans too.

Jeanna
Farmgirl Sister #41

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.
Henry David Thoreau

Edited by - Jeanna on May 29 2008 5:40:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - May 29 2008 :  7:36:38 PM  Show Profile
Just shake shake after they are dry & they will be softer. If you use homemade laundry detergent like Aunt Jenny's..they are soft anyway. Since I use her recipe, my clothes are so soft now, even when line dried.
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - May 29 2008 :  9:38:10 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I have noticed I don't mind crunchy towels either, and when the kids whine about them, it falls on deaf ears.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 29 2008 :  9:51:28 PM  Show Profile
I love my towels kinda crunchy too..but some of my family (the only other adult..ahem...) likes them soft. I do the shaking, snapping thing. He has adjusted. After 12 years married to me he is realizing he can't win. He sometimes does take his before using and put it in the dryer on air dry for a few minutes too.
It has been so windy the past couple days that nothing is very crunchy coming off my clothesline...I am lucky not to find everything on the ground..haha.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Farm Girl 2
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

Becky
Willis VA
USA
108 Posts

Posted - May 30 2008 :  04:59:58 AM  Show Profile
It has been really windy here too, where your clothes are either wraped around the line fifty times and half of the clothespins have popped off or broke in half. Or you find your clothes in the goat pasture!!! I have finally decided since I am home all the time that I can control wash days and only wash on the not so windy days. We have had a few days that it was JUST the right amount of breeze to make all the clothes incredibly soft!!!!!

Loving Living Simply!
http://sunnymorningfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - May 30 2008 :  07:49:21 AM  Show Profile
Okay.... my farmgirl confession... I can't stand crunchy, stiff towels!! *shudders* The softer and fluffier they are, the better!!

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

Yogifarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jenn
Swiftwater PA
USA
297 Posts

Posted - May 30 2008 :  5:00:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Yogifarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Where do I find Aunt Jenny's recipe for laundry detergent...??

www.sundariyoga.com

"Breathe in the Sunshine"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 30 2008 :  5:14:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12281&SearchTerms=laundry,soap
http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15558&SearchTerms=laundry,soap
http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19729&SearchTerms=laundry,soap

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 30 2008 :  5:34:51 PM  Show Profile
Aunt Jenny's laundry soap:
1 cup of grated bar soap (I like Zote, castille soap or fels naptha)
1/2 cup washing soda
1/2 cup Borax
1/2 cup oxy cleaner (optional..but it helps)
add a few drops of essential oil for scent..I love lavender or rosemary
be sure to grate the soap really fine..I use a pampered chef rotary cheese grater..like you would use for parmesan cheese..the fine grind.
You can also add about 1/2 to 1/3 cup of water softener too. (white king is one brand I have used) if you have very hard water it helps.
I usually make about a quadruple batch at a time.
I used to always make liquid laundry soap..more of a snotty gel that sorta grossed me out..I like the powdered version better. They both work though.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com

Edited by - Aunt Jenny on May 30 2008 5:35:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2008 :  11:47:17 AM  Show Profile
Wow! Thanks so much,can't wait to see if this helps us adjust. I've started getting "the look" when I offer crunchy towels to the family.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Pearlsnjeans
True Blue Farmgirl

248 Posts

Vicki
West Haven Utah
USA
248 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2008 :  1:55:30 PM  Show Profile
I had a makeshift clothesline last summer and started hanging my son's work clothes outside. He never complained about the "stiff" jeans and is now going to make me a "for real" clothesline. I am excited..my favorite thing to line dry are bed sheets...love the sunshine smell!

Farmgirl Sister #120
Farmgirls are elegant
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2008 :  9:53:21 PM  Show Profile
Me too...if nothing else gets to the line (but this time of year I put all of it there) my sheets and towels do..nothing like it!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

fionalovesshrek
True Blue Farmgirl

186 Posts

Paige
kinston North Carolina
USA
186 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2008 :  11:10:49 AM  Show Profile
If you're using store soap (as I currently am) try using less. I swear it's something in the soap that leaves a residue that causes the towels to be thick and even to FEEL a little waxy. ECH. I can handle a crunchy towel but have noticed that using less detergent helps.
P~

living a good neighbor life
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2008 :  2:19:13 PM  Show Profile
I noticed that when I used Jennys recipe my things werent that crunchy-the store brands seemed to be the worst! my hubby does not liike his tighty whiteys cruynchy-gives him aRASH!!!TMI????

"No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars,or sailed to an uncharted land or opened a new heaven to the human spirit." Helen Keller

http://www.thebodyshopathome.com/web/dcole1
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  7:15:43 PM  Show Profile
I think the queen of clean gal recommends a low spin cycle at the end of the wash cycle. Apparently the high spin at the end of the wash cycle is to save the electric dryer having to overwork. Makes sense, but clotheslines are different, can we overwork our clotheslines, I wonder? Nah.
I have tried it. It kinda works. But still the towels are crunchy and need some snapping. Not a bad thing in my book.
Cheers, Karen

www.edgehillherbfarm.com "where the name is bigger than the farm, but no one seems to mind"
blog http://edgehillherbfarmer.spaces.live.com/default.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0
happy farmgirl #89
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  8:25:55 PM  Show Profile
i agree with jodi .. wrap me up in a warm, soft, FLUFFY towel .. heaven!

i'll have to try them crunchy one more time to see what you gurlz are meaning .. they are jus' too scratchy for my skin. xo

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Lea Vollmer
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Lea
Evansville IN
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2008 :  8:31:52 PM  Show Profile
Do any of you use vinegar in the rinse to help make clothes less stiff? Seems I heard somewhere that it works - but haven't tried it myself yet. My former country boy husband isn't liking the stiff towels and jeans.

Lea - Farm Girl #143 at Heart in Southern Indiana
My blog: www.kneedeepinfibers.blog-city.com
The cat's blog: www.justopenthecan.blogspot.com
Ravelry ID: LeaMV
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

777 Posts

Lea
TN
777 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2008 :  8:45:56 PM  Show Profile
I rank you gals that love those soft towels. A quick rinse in vinegar and then a tumble in the dryer and they meet even my husband's need for soft! LOL

Blessings, Lea
www.farmhouseblessings.blogspot.com
www.farmhouseblessings.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Lea Vollmer
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Lea
Evansville IN
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2008 :  8:42:01 PM  Show Profile
Well, hello Lea from TN - nice to see another Lea that spells it L E A!

Lea - Farm Girl #143 at Heart in Southern Indiana
My blog: www.kneedeepinfibers.blog-city.com
The cat's blog: www.justopenthecan.blogspot.com
Ravelry ID: LeaMV
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic How to fix stiff towels on clothesline? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page