dg7954
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Diane
Doylestown pa
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2005 :  07:36:55 AM  Show Profile
I always start a new room out minimalistically, and slowly add pieces and things that start a collection of clutter. I am personally a sucker for French pottery. I have a good sized collection in my livingroom. I also love to collect teapots, both porcelain and the stove pots. I have them all lined up on metro shelving in my kitchen. I also love vintage Fiestaware, jadite anything, and copperware. Also, orchids and lavender are a must. What do you collect?

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2005 :  07:48:20 AM  Show Profile
I collect copperware also. Old linens, red handled kitchen items, anything kitchen vintage, and antique books just to name a few.

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2005 :  08:08:14 AM  Show Profile
Oh, this is the best thread! In the kitchen, jadite and red and white restaurantware and yellowware and other bowls of all sizes -- oh, I love bowls! Lots of botanical prints. Then in the family room, nature stuff: a delicate bird's nest my husband gave me, some little critter's skull, interesting seed pods -- these displayed under a glass dome. Also American pottery -- McCoy vases, Shawnee mini swans, lots of vintage flower pots in ivory. Vintage garden stuff inside and out. Oh, yes, Kim, old linens are fabulous, and vintage kitchen. Diane, I love the image of your metro shelving with the teapots -- and love the orchids and lavender. My plant collections that will winter inside include Rex begonias, 'Christmas' cactus, two non-hardy lavenders, and scented geraniums. That's enough from me -- there is no end!!
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2005 :  09:40:56 AM  Show Profile
I'm getting to be a reformed clutterer. I find myself getting annoyed with "stuff" lately. My favorite collection is my "antique" sewing machines, I have seven or eight, two are treadle machines. I have a collection of Jim Daly prints for the walls. They have a kind of Norman Rockwell look. I like dried flower arrangments and such, but throw them out when they get faded and dusty. A lot of stuff has been given away lately in preparation for selling and moving. Several car loads in fact. And there's still more to go . . . I've given away most of my Christmas and other holiday stuff. I'm just too lazy to get it all out anymore.
Oh, and I also like to "decorate" with quilts that I've made. When I get my new house in a couple of years I'm going to keep it as minimal as possible. I like to "collect" fabric and have been known to use it to decorate too. I fold and stack an eye pleasing collection and put it in a glass door cupboard.
Red-handled kitchen items . . . that sounds like a cool collection! When I was growing up my mom had a pair of red-handled all-purpose scissors that were alway supposed to be in a particular kitchen drawer. Many a time I can remember my mother calling out "WHERE ARE THE RED-HANDLED SCISSORS?" At which point we all stopped what we were doing to find and return them.
Nancy

Edited by - quiltedess on Oct 08 2005 09:42:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

dg7954
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Diane
Doylestown pa
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2005 :  10:21:15 AM  Show Profile
I love this!!! I am enjoying the images of your homes. Katie, I love bowls too. I have black granite countertops in my kitchen, with stainless steel appliances, so I need a lot of color and texture to balance it. I have brightly colored bowls and containers for utensils everywhere. (Red is my favorite) I like to stick a photo here and there, along with paintings. I have a large stainless steel top dining room table that has a wonderful white ceramic tray in the center of it that I fill with seasonal things. I am about to fill it with miniature pumpkins that just started popping up at the local farmstands here. I change it for Christmas, filling it with a combination of holly, pinecones, and Christmas ornament balls. I love to feel the changes of the seasons in my home.

And I love vintage linens too, Katie. My bedroom is Shabby Chic from top to bottom. Nancy, the image of your sewing machines sounds wonderful. And the vintage quilts sound great too.

I love to use things that are meant for one thing in another way. I once made a light out of a metal colander. I love unique storage solutions too, like a vintage lunch box that holds recipes or the mail. Does anyone else do this? Keep it coming.
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2005 :  11:00:46 AM  Show Profile
Diane, I love your combination of cool materials (stainless steel, granite) with warm, vintage/natural things (teapots, pumpkins). Love Shabby Chic, too. Our bedroom is pale lavender walls, white woodwork, old bed (that my husband found in an alley in Chicago in 1977) that I painted white, white vintage dresser scarfs on old oak dressers. Accent color is deep forest green -- an old green trellis (found by my clever husband) stands against one wall; green and white checked valances; Laura Ashley Blackberry sheets (purple berries and green twining vines on white). Then accessories are old family pictures in vintage frames, a crystal compote to hold things, old silver, etc. And in one corner an old trunk topped first with lavender metellisse (sp?) spread, then with a white crochet tablecloth letting the lavender show through. Atop the trunk is a white pitcher and bowl set that belonged to my Grandmother's friend (purchased at her estate auction) and folded quilts and yo-yo pillows.

Nancy, I love your idea of 'decorating' with fabric! Just a collection of fabric, folded and displayed, is so sweet. And you are rich with sewing machines!

I do battle with my actual clutter every day -- finding Fly Lady's rules very helpful. But my collections -- well, that's for me! Every so often I cull out the less thrilling items and consign or give them away. That allows me some mad money to buy more. (hee hee) We have a small house -- less than 1100 square feet -- so I do have to have some self control, but . . . .

Go to Top of Page

LadyCrystal
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Alicia
Rhode Island
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2005 :  6:09:54 PM  Show Profile
Ohhhhh How great your homes sound.My hubby and I both collect everything chicken.I have them every where.I try to get things that are antique or vintage..We just bought an old grain bag made out of fabric.It was made by the Quaker Oat company in the 20's.I need to get a quilt hanger so I can hang it on the wall.Our quilt on our bed has feathers enbroidered in each large square.Above our bed it a three panel picture made out of feathers,it is of game chickens,I bought it in an antique store for my husbands birthday a few years ago.

Our home is small also so I try to keep it to things I really want.I do sometimes get rid of things to make room for an item I like better.

I also love Santa,I have tons of those.I add something new every year.But sadly that collection is getting too big too.

Alicia

Follow your dreams
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2005 :  7:45:41 PM  Show Profile
I have two collections - Longaberger baskets and books and figurines from the "Olivia" children's book by Ian Falconer. They are actually kept neatly. My clutter comes from daily junk!

Everything - from a smile from your beloved to fresh corn on the cob - is a gift from God.

Colliehaven's Farmgirls - southern IN chapter
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2005 :  7:49:41 PM  Show Profile
Longaberger baskets! Me too! I sell them to keep in baskets!! LOL!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2005 :  7:53:43 PM  Show Profile
I just became a Longaberger consultant for the same reason!!! I can't wait til we live in something bigger so I have room for more baskets! I actually just got my huge Business Builder Kit on Tuesday. I am in Longaberger HEAVEN right now!

Everything - from a smile from your beloved to fresh corn on the cob - is a gift from God.

Colliehaven's Farmgirls - southern IN chapter
Go to Top of Page

hapyhrt
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

USA
129 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2005 :  8:34:19 PM  Show Profile
Anything vintage,country and a bit prim has collected in our house. I couldn't live comfortably without my rag quilts, wooden blocks, raggedy dolls, saltbox items and family treasures!

As for the clutter, it's usually in my crafting room which is most always in a state of chaos! Somehow, supplies tend to get scattered from one end to the other, along with projects in progress and inspirations for projects yet to be! LOL It would be great to see the actual floor in there aside from the narrow path that leads from the door to sewing machine to computer desk to closet and finally back to the door! Hmmm, only trouble with cleaning is the last time I tried it and had everything neatly stored away I couldn't find a thing when it came to crafting again! So much for being tidy, eh!

"Think happy thoughts...any others aren't worth your time!" Ü
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2005 :  9:35:51 PM  Show Profile
I collect tiny willow chairs, quilts and vintage gardening stuff and display that along with my very large Longaberger basket collection (have been a consultant twice...LOVE them!!) in the living room...and John Deere things and old bowls and jadeite stuff and Colonial Homestead dishes in the kitchen...along with old green handled things and vintage linens and "farm" theme stuff..I have tons of books and baskets in every room and I love fabric so I tend to decorate alot with it too. I also love dolls, but of a certain type...old and handmade looking are my favorites, and paintings of barns..my favorite is one my mom painted for me last year on my birthday. Outside I collect old metal signs and neat old vintage garden and farm things. I have to fight clutter all the time cuz our old house is small.

Jenny in Utah
Put all your eggs in one basket..and then watch that basket!! Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2005 :  04:14:30 AM  Show Profile
What's in my clutter? Books, books, and more books. Magazines. *sigh* I love books of almost every kind, and have a hard time letting go of any book. Especially classics.

For collections, I have what I consider open collections, and closed collections. I have my grandmother's china, silver, and crystal, which I consider closed. And some seashells from trips to Florida and Hawaii. Those are closed, too. Open collections would be white pitchers, old wooden boxes, and the ubiquitous books, especially cookbooks. *sigh* I wish I could quit that; I really do have quite enough.

Years ago, when my husband was managing a restaurant, they had a policy of "Clean As You Go." Meaning if you made a few crumbs or got something out, you put it back and cleaned up right away. I really need to be better about following that; right now I mainly decorate in dog hair.
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2005 :  12:08:28 PM  Show Profile
I, like Nancy, have been on a de-cluttering binge lately. The things that have made it "through to the next round" are the treasured family items that have been passes down or things I just can't bare to part with. Like- old potato mashers with wooden handles, old pastry cutters, cookie cutters, red and white crocheted pot holders, old cookbooks, cake stands ( I went from 17 to 7 ) ironstone pitchers and water jugs, old quilts...Gosh, I still have a lot of stuff!! I just cut the legs down on an old kitchen table to make a bigger coffee table in my living room to, as I told my family, "place things artistically upon it,of course." They all just shook their heads and walked away! I admit,I am a confirmed clutter-bug.
Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  09:16:07 AM  Show Profile
my clutter area is in my office. I have a computer on one side, a 100 year old desk I had as a child at home passed down, several bookcases filled with favorite books and photo albums and cookbooks. An armoire with clothes, and a storage box filled with stuff for the grandkids birthday parties. I make goodies bags for all the birthdays so collect neat little things to put in the bags. I clean and de-clutter but it just always is cluttered no matter what.
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  09:54:53 AM  Show Profile
My clutter is books and projects. We are students, so thats where the too many books comes from. And our projects require various supplies and space. I don't collect any single thing. I like handmade pottery and I make a lot of it myself. We collect seed pods, shells, stones and other shinies that we find around globe. I love unique fairies (other creatures) and goddess. I try not to clutter but it happens.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

mdotterer
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Marlene
Pleasant Hill CA
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  10:35:27 AM  Show Profile
Books. We have an entire room that is literally a library and the only books in there are our science fiction books. My husband and I both brought an SF collection into our marriage. It's a wonderful room, though, with gorgeous bookshelves from floor to ceiling along two walls, filled with books. I love to go in there and just inhale.
The rest of our books - astronomy, math, natural science, travel, "how-to," baseball, cartoons, chess, and "other" fiction, are on bookshelves scattered throughout the house. But, the books are not really clutter to me, they're friends. I guess that's how everyone feels about their clutter.
The clutter I don't like is the magazines (my husband refuses to throw anything away and he has subscribed to at least 8 magazines for 20 years - ahhhhh!!!!!). He's also incapable of throwing away a scrap of paper "in case he needs it later" and he always leaves a stack of mail and papers on the kitchen table. Oh, and boxes. Our garage is filled with boxes. Every time we get a delivery, the box and fill go in the garage for later use. One year, I threw all the boxes away and at Christmas, we had to go out and buy boxes to mail presents. I was so ashamed! But, there has to be a way to organize them!
I've never been a collector, except for the books. During the twists and turns of my life, I've lost everything from my youth. We were poor, poor, poor, when I was married and then divorced; we lived in crummy places and moved frequently, so I never kept anything. Just the books, which I'd get for a quarter at the used book store. My precious husband, on the other hand, has never been poor, and has lived in this house for 26 years. That sort of lends itself to clutter. I guess I'll have the last laugh when we move at retirement!

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  1:15:37 PM  Show Profile
I found out my everyday laundry basket is worth over $200.00! Jeesh, do I have to stop using it? It is a signed Longaberger, 1986. And it is so useful!

While in North Carolina this past week, I bought a Blue Ridge pottery bowl. So beautiful. So useful.

My clutter includes vintage quilts, old photo postcards, turquoise jewelry, baskets, pottery, depression glass, carnival glass, and vintage aprons. And they are all staying! :)

jpbluesky
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  5:40:16 PM  Show Profile
my biggest collections are my OLD books, I have a hymnal from England dated 1682, Little Women dated 1800's with an inscription from a mother to her 12 year old daughter and many more old books. I collect tea pots, old lace tablecloths, looms and spinning wheels and old sewing baskets. I have a few other things I collect but those are my favorites. Michele

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

dg7954
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Diane
Doylestown pa
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  6:52:05 PM  Show Profile
Wow! More great clutter stories! First, Marlene, when I deal with someone who is or is married to a pack rat, I play the choosing game with him. Choose a few boxes (ones that fit inside each other), and throw the rest out. As far as magazines go, I can relate. They are difficult for me to throw away too. But, I did just recently toss about four years worth of Martha Stewarts. I know they are still great, but I asked myself how often do I really look over them? Here's the equation: If you haven't looked at them in the past two years, you ain't gonna anytime soon. Most things that you would need to reference you turn to the internet for anyway, and as far as vintage mags go, they're not worth as much as the space they are taking up. I view every square foot of space as prime. Afterall, don't we all spend a lot per square foot of living space?
It is prime residential square footage to me, and should not be wasted storing old magazines. As for papers, get a big plastic file box with a handle, and give it to your husband. Let him file everything he sees. This will do you both a world of good. Then, put it somewhere where he can use it regularly, so that it won't end up another unused box in a closet. Anything that doesn't go in that box gets tossed. This absolutely works, and the biggest perk is that he can find any important scrap of paper when he needs it (and isn't that really what your husband has been aiming for all along?} Live it up. Tell him if he runs out of room, you'll get him another box. Life can be sweet.

As for JP, please don't stop using your basket. Use everything. That is what it was intended for. If you love it, don't let it's monetary value change your enjoyment of it by putting it somewhere safe. Would you really sell it anyway? If you don't intend to sell it, then it's worth is only equal to how much you enjoy it. Look at and use it often, and be proud of what a savvy shopper you are.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  8:17:28 PM  Show Profile
JP...Ihave the same laundry basket ...same year even!! And I use it each and every day. It is well made,sturdy and makes me smile. Please don't stop using it~!

Jenny in Utah
Put all your eggs in one basket..and then watch that basket!! Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

Hilltophomesteader
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Pam
WA
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2005 :  8:45:39 PM  Show Profile
I'm for coffee in EVERYBODY'S kitchen!! Aunt Jenny - I collect Colonial Homestead too! Along with everything Hall, especially stock green or red or unusual. Also Currier & Ives, Franciscan apple, anything RED, Teddy bears that look me in the eye, and butter pat dishes just to name a few. I can't seem to unclutter - it's just me. My home looks like a vintage country explosion of some sort. I love to quilt in big stitches sitting by my cookstove. Is there anything more comforting than a cookstove? I wish the weather here would get COLD. We've only started a fire twice so far this season! I love books - especially cookbooks, Tasha Tudor, Lori Wick, Ralph Moody, country decorating... My mom and girls and I love to sit down around 10 or 11ish mornings and have 'elevnsies' and get out the creamer, sugar, Colonial Homestead dishes, everything! Now if my husband is home during the day, HE expects elevensies too

"As for me and my house, we shall serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2005 :  07:36:06 AM  Show Profile
Pam: Would you like another teddy bear? I'm not a teddy bear person at all, but I have a Benny Bear 2004. My DH bought me a platinum necklace for Christmas last year and the bear came with it. They're supposedly collectible so I haven't had the heart to get rid of it yet. It is a medium dark grey and has pretty turquoise eyes. I THINK he looks at me, but I'm not sure. If you'd like it, send me an email with your address. Oh, I almost forgot . . . the bear had a satin ribbon that matched his eyes, but one day my beagle got the bear and shredded the ribbon, otherwise the bear is unharmed.
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2005 :  6:24:17 PM  Show Profile
I don't have one specific collection, but love things that have a worn, cottage, gardeny look. I love old baskets and I'm 99% sure you can find at least two in every room that are being used for something. I love the ones that are well loved but still usable. I have also indadvertently started collecting vintage white ceramic chickens and roosters. I don't know when it happened, but my husband pointed it out to me, and he's right!! They are awfully darn cute and go well with the french country look I'm trying to create in my kitchen and dining room. My other clutter is crayone, legos, matchbox cars, army guys, empty drink boxes, back packs and about 50 pairs of shoes by the front door. ha ha. Sound familiar?! haha

blessings,

Missy

If you have a dream, even if you don't feel qualified to accomplish it, just try your hardest.-Maggie Jensen
Go to Top of Page

Hilltophomesteader
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Pam
WA
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2005 :  7:59:05 PM  Show Profile
I told myself a long time ago that I can't collect anything if I don't intend to use it, so I tossed out stuff I hate (cheap coffee mugs, corning ware dishes etc.) and use all the stuff I love - if we break something, it gives me a good excuse to treasure hunt! I know what you mean about tripping over boots/shoes! Not to mention, we have a coat rack with a hook for each of us (6) but since you never know what the weather will do, we each have a light coat, heavy coat, vest, jean jacket....well, you get the picture....

"As for me and my house, we shall serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  08:31:58 AM  Show Profile
anything that makes my heart smile ... and these days ... in these historic log cabins ... it is primitive pioneer 'things' that were used by the women who came before us.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic What's in your clutter? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page