Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 Inherited a wringer washer machine...now what?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Inherited a wringer washer machine...now what? Next Topic  

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  08:52:12 AM  Show Profile
So, the farm DH and I bought a couple of years ago, where we plan to retire has an old house on it. There is a wringer washing machine sitting in the front (enclosed) porch/sunroom. It appears to be a more recent vintage, like a Home Queen/Speed Queen model, not the old 1940's era kind that I am sure would be lusted after by the antique collectors out there!

From what we can tell, it is in good working order, but I don't know a thing about these, and don't know whether I should put it up for sale locally, or is this something I really need to hang onto and start using myself?

My folks do have a wringer washer at their remote cabin in Ontario, Canada. We fire up the generator and do laundry once a week in the summertime. Sure beats having a kid (me!) stomping around in a slushy tub of laundry soap down by the dock, but hey, I like my front-load washer and dryer just fine these days!

We're retiring next year to a slower pace in a rural setting, so fellow farmgirls...what to do, what to do???

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  08:54:29 AM  Show Profile
Jo! Ask Miss Bee Haven (aka Janice)...she'll know EXACTLY what to do :)

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  09:07:01 AM  Show Profile
Oh, thanks, Jonni!

I'll send her an email unless she posts here soon.

Jo

Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  10:55:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Hi, Jo! Boy, is this a touchy subject at my house-LOL! I recently bought a 1953 Maytag wringer washer at a Salvation Army store. It's a beauty(posted pics in the Over The Fence thread) and I fully intend to use it. Our friend, Mike, who is helping us with our farmhouse restoration, says he can install a pipe now(no drywall yet) so I can use it in the farmhouse(already have pipes for a modern washer)
I found a site online called obsoleteskills.com where I printed out a full page on 'How to use a wringer washing machine'-HAHA
There is also a guy who sells reprints of the parts/owners manual for it online. Okay, I'm obsessive.....
Miss Wilma owns more than one wringer washer. And she uses them. I don't know what the market would be like if you tried to sell it. It's a pretty specialized item. It really is a lot more work than just putting stuff in and letting it wash on it's own. :D You have to have washtubs, too. And you couldn't wash big stuff(comforters)
I paid $50.00 for mine. They can be hard to find in good condition. I had been watching at auctions for a while and everything was rusty and had been sitting out. I did see someone had one for sale on ebay last week with a reserve price of $149. and got no bids. Shipping would be prohibitive-it would have to be picked up, probably.

If I was you, I'd probably polish it up and keep it as a curiosity(if you have room-how about sitting a big pot with a plant in it inside the tub and leaving the top open???). If you like it and it fits with your decor, of course. ;) I'll use mine eventually, just because I'm what my boss calls a 'neo luddite'....someone who fights progress! Pretty much all the appliances I've gathered for the farmhouse are vintage. One of the professors here recently visited Georgia O'Keefe's house out west and said he thought of me as soon as he walked in the door.....not just because I love her work.....because all of her late 1930's era appliances were still there! ROFLOL!

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  11:10:58 AM  Show Profile
WOW...sorry for your troubles with your vintage washer, Janice! It sounds like you are going to persevere through this, though.

I kind of like the idea of using it as a planter! When I saw Jonni's reply pop up I thought she was gonna tell me to use it to catch rainwater for my garden, and that's not a bad idea either.

Or, I may try to sell it locally and let someone else have the joy (sincerely meant) of ownership.

Thanks for the input, ladies.

Jo

Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  11:16:12 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Yes, you might just have someone in your area as crazy as I am! Or someone who just wants to use it in an antique store as a decoration. I'm using a vintage stove in the antique mall just to display things on.

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  11:34:06 AM  Show Profile
We have one & up until we got married hubby used it. I was thinking of putting it under the eve outside & hooking up to the garden hose & an extension cord & using in the summer as an outside washing event. I wash mostly in cold anyway. I've never used one, but hubby loved it.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  8:47:40 PM  Show Profile
Oh what a wonderful thing to have. If it were me, and I had the time and space, I'd use it for all my laundry. I used a wringer washer (from my granny) until abouat 1975. I hung clothes outside in the summer and in the basement in the winter. I sure do wish I still had it.

Handmade Soap and More! - http://www.therusticcottagebath.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

PROUD FARMGIRL SISTER #100
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2008 :  09:11:34 AM  Show Profile
Jo, wringer washers are really great to use if you don't mind the bit of extra work!! I used to have one and I loved it, except for the one and only time I got my fingers caught in it. So if you do use it make sure you know how to release the rollers!!!!! I wish I still had it because it washed really good ,but you have to watch if you are washing something more delicate not to leave it in to long. I hope you enjoy it however you end up using it!
Monica
Go to Top of Page

Pamela1953
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Pamela
Bridgton, Maine
1 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2008 :  09:15:29 AM  Show Profile
Oh to have a wringer washer. My 84 year old mother still uses one, and when I lived with her for several months I used it to. My clothes were cleaner and brighter and smelled like fresh sunshine, we only did laundry on sunny days.

farmgirls unite
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2008 :  09:37:25 AM  Show Profile
My Mother used one and I helped but I remember her warning me not to get my fingers to close to the wringers! I just bought a front loading washer and dryer and for the money I'd take the wringer anyday! They were a lot of money (the frontloaders) but those wringers were as energy efficient as you can get! Sometimes I wonder what the definition of "progress" is by our society.
If I lived closer I would come and take it off your hands! LOL!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2008 :  09:44:20 AM  Show Profile
Need to keep your hair away from the wringers or OUCH!!! I learned the hard way. Thank goodness the plug was nearby.

The wringers are a bit hard on "permanent press" fabrics in that the wringers permanently put the wrinkles in.

Betty in Pasco

Edited by - Betty J. on Jun 19 2008 09:46:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

Farm Girl 2
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

Becky
Willis VA
USA
108 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  05:44:58 AM  Show Profile
Oh Jo what a great item to inherit!! Of course I have a fetish for wringer washers as I have "collected" 5 of them in the past few years but I am down to only one now because of DH. I use mine too!! My hubby gets so grimmy at work (or actually doing anything!) and his clothes come so much cleaner in the wringer.

Probably my favorite part of doing laundry on the wringer is being able to do a weeks worth of laundry with the same wash water. Start out with the light/delicates (ya know girl clothes) and continue adding the next darkest to the water until you have reached the grimmy blue jeans and after they are done the water is scary!!! At least that's they way it is here!! You do have to watch if you have new towels that are still leaving lint as it will be in the water for the next loads. Of course I haven't had new towels in forever!!!

I can't remember what part of Va that you are in or I would think about traveling to see it and talk you right out of it!!HEHEHE..I did travel to eastern Va and purchased the wood cookstove from Rosemary back before the gas prices were so high. I have pics of both the washer and stove on my blog.

I am sure you will figure out what to do with it..probably your own laundry!!

Hugs,
Becky

Loving Living Simply!
http://sunnymorningfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  10:41:03 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I'm going to have to print this thread off and show my dh that wringer washers are a very popular thing, after all. ;)

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  05:55:04 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Okay, here's a Maytag wringer just like mine on ebay. I feel vindicated. There are people out there who value wringer washers. ;) The bid is $130.00 and it is for pick up only. I'll be showing this to dh and reminding him that I only paid $50.00! :D

Vintage 1950s Maytag Washing Wringer Machine AMAZING!!

Item number: 140242401170

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2008 :  4:20:47 PM  Show Profile
Oh so exciting!! A wringer washer. I'd love one. I didn't buy a dryer when I bought my front loader washer. I see way too much electronic and love the simplicity. Hard work, but part of yourself goes into the chore. Hope you keep it.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9327 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9327 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2008 :  5:57:01 PM  Show Profile
Hey Jo,
I wonder how far I am from you? I'd love to have a wringer washer to use. I may have to check out ebay too. When I lived at home my mom and I always used our wringer washer in the summer time. Saved on water and the grass stayed so green when we drained it. It was work and time consuming but when we worked together it wasn't so bad. I don't know what my mom did with it after I left home. They moved and I know she doesn' have it now.

Denise

farmgirl sister #43

"Take a lesson from the teakettle, though up to its
neck in hot water...it sings!"

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2008 :  09:21:07 AM  Show Profile
End of story ... we tried getting the thing going this weekend and the motor was shot. Now we know why it was left in the old we ended up taking to a local scrap metal salvage yard, and we got a few bucks for it!

Jo

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2247 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2247 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2008 :  12:03:06 AM  Show Profile
Helpful hint: Don't put bras through the wringer unless you want the hooks squished. Ask me how I know...... and boy, was Mom ever mad!

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Inherited a wringer washer machine...now what? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page