quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2005 :  7:13:39 PM  Show Profile
Flowers! Gotta have flowers, even if it is just one on my windowsill. I love the smell of rain on the earth when it first falls after a dry spell. I swear I can smell it coming from a long way off. I also like the smell of pine needles warmed by the sun. I love a campfire, being outdoors, relaxing in a remote camp. I usually find wildflowers for my camp table! Also, gratitude that my two boys have grown up and found lovely women to be their partners in life. I feel so blessed.
Mary

The great use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it. Wm. James

Edited by - quilt8305 on Oct 17 2005 7:08:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2005 :  7:19:06 PM  Show Profile
The smell of woodsmoke on a fall night (like tonight). That is ABSOLUTELY a simple pleasure. A kiss from my dog first thing in the morning and a nuzzle from him at night...there are just too many simple pleasures to name. Those of us who see beauty in the most mundane tasks are lucky because we are blessed!

Everything - from a smile from your beloved to fresh corn on the cob - is a gift from God.

Colliehaven's Farmgirls - southern IN chapter
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2005 :  7:55:07 PM  Show Profile
Lissa,
What a beautiful website! It's so peaceful...

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

mountainmama
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Lissa
Georgia
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2005 :  7:37:44 PM  Show Profile
Kim and Kristi,

Thanks for the kind words about our website. I have always loved the mountains more than anything. Kristi, I know what you mean about your neighbors and family members thinking you're crazy to love what you do! Ever since my husband and I started this adventure of building log cabins for folks in 2003, that dream of being a country gal started resurfacing. Because I've always been a city girl, no one believes me when I tell them my dreams....except KJD. It had always been there because an old friend reminded me the other day that before I married 9 years ago, my dream was to live in the country and have a large garden and all that goes with that. For some reason, I have forgotten that (along with a lot of other things - I seem to be losing a LOT of brain cells lately). But all this really came to a head when KJD gave me Mary Jane's book and introduced me to the World of Farmgirls. Now I have this insatiable desire to raise chickens, goats, have a huge self-sufficient garden living in my log cabin overlooking Lake Blue Ridge. We start clearing the site for this cabin next week, and my husband told the guy to clear a place for my garden!!!! You can imagine how I jumped all over him kissing him with such delight at such thoughtfulness! At any rate, I feel like I'm living a secret life sometimes because not everyone can appreciate the farmgirl mentality!

Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2005 :  8:12:11 PM  Show Profile
Lissa, there really are very few of us that really and truly appreciate our lifestyles. Everything has become so commercialized and 'easy' it's sickening. Don't get me wrong, I still find some 'easy' things reasonable and handy on busy weeknights with gymnastics and soccer and everything else that comes with having a family but the way the world thinks these days . I'm so glad that I found MJF and have found the few of us that cherish the 'farmgirl ways'. No matter how strange they may be.

YOU BUILD LOG CABINS?????!!!! Oh my goodness, I may have to pick your brain about those. That has been a dream of mine for as long as I can remember, now I've got DH wanting one too. Like I said in my earlier post....give me a log cabin on a lake, a large garden, my 4 legged babies and my 2 legged babies and consider me in heaven (or at least cloud 9 ).
Go to Top of Page

mountainmama
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Lissa
Georgia
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2005 :  8:33:12 PM  Show Profile
Kristi! You just have to bite the bullet and DO IT!!! I see you live in Texas - I'm a Texan by birth, in my heart and soul, but I "have" to live in Georgia. It took me until just this year, after 9 years of marriage, to consider this home. All my family and friends live in Houston and Dallas and Amarillo, and as much as I miss them, I absolutely love the beauty of north Georgia. I don't know how entrenched you are to be in Texas, but I'll tell you that Blue Ridge, GA and the North Georgia Mountains are going to be the next Vail, Aspen, Estes Park, etc. etc. That place is exploding! But if you could find a beautiful lake in Texas, get a great cabin plan, then you're SET! I say if you have a dream that lives and breathes in your heart and soul, it can become a reality. I would LOVE to talk about cabins! It's become a passion of late. My husband just found a great place in TN to get logs, and they're great quality, great price and no tax - because we live in GA!! Everything you describe to be heaven is EXACTLY what I want, too!
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  05:56:22 AM  Show Profile
Lissa - you're another of my "simple" pleasures! Our 30 years of friendship is truly a blessing that keeps getting better and better!
Love you!!
Go to Top of Page

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  10:30:59 AM  Show Profile
Siting on my back patio and watching the birds and tending to my plants and just sort of play with them. (I'm not nuts--move them around etc.) An interesting side note: This is the first time that I can see my neighbors back yards. None of us have privacy fences; all knocked down by hurrican--

Waking in the morning and listening to the sounds of the neighborhood. dogs barking, birds singing

Lighting my fire pit at dusk and sitting outside til the fire is out.

Hanging out with you women on the net and my face to face friends.

Laughter of my youngest grandchild (2) His running to me with open arms shouting "Grammy"

A clean house !!!!!

The farmer's market on Saturday AM...Seeing and visiting the vendors and friends. Love it.

Preparing dinner for friends and listening to their laughter and of course, joining in !!

There are so many more but these are a few.
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  10:41:51 AM  Show Profile
Here are some suburban simple pleasures:

the Cherry Pit Cafe, with retirees, families with small kids, cops, fire fighters, and friends of all kinds enjoying the skillet breakfast and great coffee;

renewing library books on the internet;

hitting the last light green on the way home;

mooing at the cows who live at the Park District farm;

hearing kids play in the back yards late into the evening;

band practice at the high school: my personal 'concert' right in my own front yard;

and the owl who hoots in the night in the back yard trees. I love Mr. Hoot!

Edited by - katie-ell on Oct 13 2005 1:12:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  1:09:53 PM  Show Profile
All these wonderful posts have brought tears to my eyes and a smile on my face. Isn't it great to be able to appreciate and acknowledge the simple things in like. I feel sad for people who live their lives being shallow and materialistic. They are missing out on what real life is all about.

I too thank God every day that we have all that we need. We struggle financially, but are blessed in such big ways.

I love when my 6 year old tells me I look pretty even when I'm still in my pajamas and haven't showered, or when my 17year old son gives me that rare hug( I miss my "little" boy!) working on a project with my husband and the joy of the "finished product" and the time we got to spend together. The soothing sounds of rain out the window while snuggling under a worn quilt, watching my hens interact in there little chicken world, my goat Molly that was so sick when we brought her home looking directly into my eyes telling my she's grateful, snuggling a bunny, the first time you open the windows in the spring and breathe in the sweet cool breeze, The smell of sheets after they have come off the line, a full pantry, I could go on and on......

Blessings,

Missy

If you have a dream, even if you don't feel qualified to accomplish it, just try your hardest.-Maggie Jensen
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  1:44:48 PM  Show Profile
Hey, Farmgirls!

MaryJane and CindyLou have given me the OK to do two books I have been inspired to do. One is a compilation of all our "Simple Blessings" posts into an illustrated book. They have touched us all so much and I know others would love to have them in their homes. I need your permission to use yours and will contact you individually for that but I want you all to know what I'm doing. You will all get credit for your contributions. If you have an suggestions for an illustrator (photos or drawings) Or anything else concerning this project, please let me know.

Thank you all for all considerations. This is going to be a great project!

Hugs,
Patricia

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  2:50:37 PM  Show Profile
You Go Girl !!! GREAT Idea !!! As soon as they are done, I will post my order for both !!!!!

Linda H.
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  2:54:11 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, Linda, but I have a feeling I'll be sending Farmgirls free ones!! They wouldn't exist without you.

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

mountainmama
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Lissa
Georgia
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  7:46:02 PM  Show Profile
OH KJD! You bring tears to my eyes! My heart skipped a little beat as I read your reply. It's been 35 years....isn't that just too weird to see written down? It's not like we're old or anything...just childhood friends, and yes, dearie, it DOES get better and better. You're the only one I can share my farmgirl obsession with, you know.

I love you dearly, too!
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  10:27:46 PM  Show Profile
I am sitting here, it's late but I am enjoying one of the simplest pleasures, listening to the "ting" jars make when they seal. I guess that makes me pretty simple huh? Makes me smile every time I hear it.

http://bumpercrop.blogspot.com/
I was Country before Country was COOL
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  10:41:50 PM  Show Profile
Arlene - I love that sound too. It lets you know that your hard work payed off!

I'm still hot...it just comes in flashes.
Go to Top of Page

sock_heaven
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

14 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2005 :  12:54:07 PM  Show Profile
My simple pleasures:

Autumn. I love everything about it--the cooler weather, the smell of burning leaves and wood, the contrast of the cool breeze and warm sun on my face, the changing colors, getting to wear long sleeves again, curling up under a warm blanket on a comfy chair with a good book and a cup of hot chocolate, raking leaves and watching my girls play in them (they don't realize they're making mulch for me!), apple cider and doughnuts, crackling fires outdoors (or in a fireplace), making s'mores, college football games, high school marching bands...I could go on and on!

Country of the Pointed Firs by Sarah Orne Jewett. My all-time favorite book.

Junior Mints. My all-time favorite candy.

The sound of my baby boy's laugh.

Giving things away through Freecycle.

Eating strawberries straight from the garden. Mmmmm....

What would the world be, once bereft/Of wet and of wildness? Let them be left,
O let them be left, wildness and wet;/Long live the weeds and the wilderness yet. --Gerard Manley Hopkins

Edited by - sock_heaven on Oct 14 2005 12:55:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2005 :  7:15:01 PM  Show Profile
My doggie's fuzzy face!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2005 :  7:42:10 PM  Show Profile
KIm, What kind of dog do you have? I have a yellow Lab and HE is a sweetheart! He smiles when I talk to him and pet him! His lip turns up and he "grins"... dogs rock, don't they???? My dog's name is Max, but I call him "Buddy".

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2005 :  7:55:38 PM  Show Profile
Meadowlark, I have a yellow lab that we rescued from the shelter. It was such a sad story. He was 6 months old and some idiot decided to shoot him and his mother. Killed mom and nailed him right in the eye and the leg. He is obviously blind in one eye but doesn't limp at all. I love him to death. He will be 2 in March and is doing wonderful. Once we get past the whole puppy stage I'm sure I will love him even more. Then I have my precious baby, my Lhasa Apso. I agree...DOGS ROCK!!!!
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2005 :  8:15:49 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Patricia- just a thought for illustration. Let's see the talent of all the farmgirls here...let them illustrate their simple pleasures themselves. Just a thought...

Heather
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2005 :  8:19:17 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Hubby and My dog...oh heck my whole family!!!

Gladys Tabers books...

Cocoa with extra whip cream...yum!!!

Comfortable jeans and a worn out t-shirt....

Having enough and knowing and appreciating it and sharing it...

Laughter, love and hugs,

Heather

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2005 :  8:40:38 PM  Show Profile
Kristi....Your sweet Lab is a survivor...I cannot comprehend how any human could commit that kind of an act...Love and care for that sweet dog all his days...Labs have the biggest hearts! They live to serve and please.. and love their humans! Bless you for rescuing him and loving him!

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2005 :  8:43:54 PM  Show Profile
Heather ~ thanks for a great idea. If any of the girls want to illustrate their contribution, I'll certainly consider it. I was thinking about farmgirl photos that illustrate their posts, too.

Thanks!
Patricia

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2005 :  9:07:24 PM  Show Profile
My daughter got her deer today. While everyone else was hunting, I got to set on a rock crib at the far end of our place, and revel in the fall and red foliage, blue sky, sunshine and solitude. Another great day.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Simple Pleasures Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page