Page: of 3

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2005 :  08:44:17 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
I was adding my .02 in the kitchen forum and wondered what other people's daily pleasures of their lives are?

I had mentioned plucking fresh tomatoes off the vine every morning, and that sweet tangy growing tomato smell that gets stuck on your hands for hours afterward.

Some of my other enjoyable moments are tending my roses and taking a fresh bouquet inside for my desk.

My morning cup of tea - the process of pouring water from the teakettle is just so nostalgic for me.

Baking bread - I love kneading it, and the sight of it rising in an old earthenware bowl with a damp linen cloth draped over it. And the smell is just awesome!

What are your simple pleasures in life?

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2005 :  09:42:15 AM  Show Profile
Lynn,
I have to agree with...
My morning cup of tea. It is a quiet ritual that is rarely ever broken for me. No matter where I am.I would like to add a slice of wholegrain toast with homemade butter with my tea.
I love the smell of:
hay bales,damask roses, cut grass,the smell of manure when it is being spread,a big pot of soup on the stove and a hardworkin',sweaty man!....not necessarily in that order!
I love the feel of comfy old jeans, silk on my neck,wool socks on my feet,and a warm egg on clean hay.
I love a rainbow,a good stack of fire wood ,and I smile when the electric goes out or when the weatherman predicts the coming of big snowstorm!
I will stop here...but I could write a thousand more

"If more of us valued good food, cheer and song above hoarded gold,the world would be a merrier place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2005 :  10:13:45 AM  Show Profile
My morning cup of coffee with hazelnut creamer. This is my daily indulgence that is something I do totally for myself.
Looking out the window into the woods while I'm sewing.
The smell of burning leaves in the Fall.
The smell of a barn - the hay, manure, and animals.
Watering my garden - totally relaxing.
A hug and kiss from my children and grandchildren.
Taking a bath with wonderfully scented soap.

I'm still hot...it just comes in flashes.
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2005 :  10:51:47 AM  Show Profile
Today I am making more applesauce. There is nothing that smells better than apples on the stove. Just apples, no cinnamon, no spices, just apples cooking. Bread making is a joy. I promised DH when we married I would always bake bread. I worked at an off the ranch job for 5 years, and didn't bake. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the smell and feel and the ritual of baking bread. I like changing sprinklers. Early in our marriage it was the only time we were alone. No in-laws, no kids, just us. We each pickup the ends of two 40 ft pipes and carry them to the next set. Walking back to the line again, we pull up weeds. We discuss our lives and projects, hopes and dreams. It is great exercise. And of course---cows! I love cows. The meaning of life, and all our lives is tied up with cows. Civilization would not be possible without cows. We take care of them, and they take care of us.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2005 :  2:22:13 PM  Show Profile
How's this for simple? Underwear that fits ! Nothing better to start your day! No twisting, tugging, adjusting or anything...you put it on and forget it...Pure bliss but all too rare!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2005 :  2:47:46 PM  Show Profile
bramble, ROFL you are too funny, but so right!!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2005 :  4:40:51 PM  Show Profile
Oh my yes, anything too tight can make you old before your time.

Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2005 :  5:16:16 PM  Show Profile
I enjoy so many simple pleasures, and many of the ones already mentioned; another one is a slow afternoon rain with the windows up. And just being in the kitchen every afternoon. I've been blessed with the time to cook.
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2005 :  8:36:31 PM  Show Profile
The wonder of new life is a big one for me. Watching DH and the new kitten, those beautiful big eyes of hers as she explores her new world.The protective "big brother" Fritz the dog hovering every time she meows ready with a licky kiss. Fills my heart with gratitude that I can share this beautiful world.

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2005 :  8:44:03 PM  Show Profile
you DID get a kitten?? You are so funny Patricia..I wondered if you would after your son was talking about them at lunch on Tuesday..that is great!!

Jenny in Utah
Put all your eggs in one basket..and then watch that basket!! Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2005 :  8:49:18 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, I'm such a pushover. I need help naming her, Jenny. I started a thread for it, which describes her. I thought of Mona (or, as Stu said, Moona) but a very lovely cow already has that one. I loved the picture of her. Such a beautiful, gentle face.

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2005 :  8:54:43 PM  Show Profile
I love to go out and sit on the old milk stand under the apple tree where I shear the sheep, and watch the chickens ....just sit and be quiet and watch them..facinating!!
A bonus is the fresh apple I usually eat while doing it, and getting to be out where the animals sounds and smells and soft voices are. A couple months and it will be too cold to do it every day so I am enjoying it right now..and a cozy fire in the wood stove in the family room ...sitting in the old beat up recliner in there with handwork and no noise late at night.

Jenny in Utah
Put all your eggs in one basket..and then watch that basket!! Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2005 :  8:59:55 PM  Show Profile
Sitting on the deck, watching the new calves with their mamas, drinking that first cup of coffee, freezing, brrrrrrr even with fuzzy bathrobe and slippers, knowing nobody, absolutely NOBODY can see me, or care.

Puppy breath

The message machine singing Happy Birthday YaYa, cuz I wasn't home when the grandkids called

Waking up at 3 am to puppies crying and knowing I don't have to get up with them but I sure smile listening to them nurse,,,,boy they are LOUD!!

Just staring at my pantry or freezer full of good food that i have worked so hard to save

http://bumpercrop.blogspot.com/
I was Country before Country was COOL
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2005 :  9:04:56 PM  Show Profile
I think a simple pleasure is reading all of these sweet, sweet ladies postings of their simple pleasures! It makes me feel warm on this crisp fall night. Oh and I am enjoying a fire in the fireplace tonight...first one of the season. I enjoy sitting in front of it, poking the embers, feeling the warmth, wrapped in an old afghan, sipping Sleepytime tea. So quiet and peaceful.

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

Kestrel
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Karen
Monmouth OR
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2005 :  11:38:32 PM  Show Profile
I love the way a horse smells in the summer when you put your face right up next to their neck-- warm, dusty, slightly sweet.

I really enjoy stepping back and taking a good look at anything that's done that I did-- freshly canned jelly, a newly painted room, a mowed field, a rejuvenated flower bed, even a perfectly organized bookshelf-- the perfect moment when I'm satisfied with what I've done before I go on to the next thing that needs doing. :-)
Go to Top of Page

hapyhrt
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

USA
129 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  03:28:32 AM  Show Profile
It seems each day and season brings it's own simple pleasures.

I enjoy the quiet in the middle of the night when I'm usually up alone and surfing the web for crafting inspirations.

Peanut butter and grape jam on honey nut toasted bread with a cup of steaming coffee or hot cocoa each morning.

Listening to the birds sing with the sunrise as they give Thanks for the day ahead.

Simple pleasures of watching snowflakes dance in the light of the lamp post on a winters night, dew drops on flowers and fields, puppy breath and kitten mews, children's laughter, the fresh aroma of the air after a summers rain shower, the satisfaction of a finished project, a warm hug from loved ones and peaceful quiet time to reflect and give thanks for all the blessings in our lives. It's all these and more that bring me joy in the most simpliest events of everyday life!

"Think happy thoughts...any others aren't worth your time!" Ü
Go to Top of Page

CelticCoyote
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Heather
Illinois
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  05:46:33 AM  Show Profile
Oh, so true, Kestrel!! I love the satisfaction of a job done well, even if it's just something relatively insignificant, like reorganizing a corner of the kitchen or something.

I love a hot cup of tea, in my most recent, much-loved find--a 95 year old teacup & saucer set, made in Bavaria, with the most gorgeous gilt over the blue & white bone china. It's sooo beautiful, and in almost perfect condition!!! It wasn't cheap, for me anyway, but it was on sale, and I'm sooo in love with it. It even has a matching dessert plate, to hold my teacakes & cookies & things. There's not much of elegance about my life, so this feels extra special to me.

Old black & white movies on chilly fall afternoons. Somehow, it's better when it's cloudy out (I have no idea why). Today, I have The Thin Man to keep me company while I sort through old receipts & bills.

Crawling under cool sheets on a cold night, and snuggling up to a warm, cuddly husband. There's nothing in this world that feels so wonderfully right than fitting myself in perfectly next to him. He's a full 12 inches taller than me, but somehow, when we curl up together, it's like puzzle pieces that were created for each other. He gives me little mini-backrubs as I fall asleep, and ALWAYS says I love you right before he dozes off.

The way a cat will curl up with her paws tucked underneath her chest, so that she looks like one of those slippers with a head on the toes. My mom & I called that "kitty slippers" ever since I was little, and it really is so apt. It looks like you could just slide your foot into her back & walk around. (Okay, so I'm weird...)

Cat smiles. There's just nothing neater.
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  06:59:35 AM  Show Profile
I agree with so many of the replies here. My most treasured pleasure is that I'm fortunate enough to stay at home with my kids. That is so important to me and even though we have no money to speak of, we have all we need and that makes me so happy. Just the sound of them playing when they don't think I'm listening or watching. I also love to hear rain with the windows open and the smell of fresh cut grass or hay. Sitting at my parents window and looking out across the pasture and seeing all the cattle and horse just grazing. They lead such simple lives but they are truly beautiful and amazing creatures (as all animals are to me). I also get extremely excited when the weather man says that we will be having severe thunderstorms with possible tornado warnings (I know I'm crazy but it's so exciting), I just LOVE the sound of thunder. The smell of wood in the fireplace and I LOVE LOVE LOVE when I hear the garage door opening and my DH walks through the door from work. Then I know he's home with us and safe. I could go on but those are a few of my favorite simple pleasures.
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  10:10:59 AM  Show Profile
Good thought Kristi, you are rich beyond telling being able to stay home with your kids. We have lived rich lives on very little money, only because we were on the ranch.

Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  5:13:42 PM  Show Profile
I think so too Kennie Lyn. My DH makes comments every once in a while like 'don't you wish we had more money?' and I just simple reply 'nope, I have all I want' and I really mean it too. I don't need material things to feel wealthy. I have a happy healthy family and our bellies are always full. It also makes me happy knowing that I'm the one who prepares the meals that makes them full. Keeping my family happy and healthy is what's important to me.
Go to Top of Page

mountainmama
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Lissa
Georgia
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  9:11:21 PM  Show Profile
It's so amazing how much we all love the same things! Guess that's why we're all here. I second all these simple pleasures, too...awaiting a day when I, too, can smell hay, watch the beauty of horses and cows as they graze. But in the meantime, until that day comes, my few simple pleasures have to be going with my husband to tend to our cabins (which are an hour and a half away from where we live, but will be living there soon). On the rare occasions that we get to spend a night at one of them, I enjoy sharing our morning cups of coffee over a spectacular sunrise coming over the mountains, with the mist hanging low over the lake or the river. I enjoy the evenings when we share a nice bottle of wine and dream of what our future might hold as we watch the sun set behind the mountains. I love the first fire of the seaon as I snuggle in with a good book and a cup of tea - and most especially if it is raining. And I love every single time my daughter comes up to me, gives a sweet kiss and tells me that she loves me. These are special simple times that are forever cherished.

Lissa
www.cabin-rentals-of-georgia.com
Go to Top of Page

Bess
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Bess
Eureka CA
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2005 :  06:45:56 AM  Show Profile
Hey Everyone! What a nice way to start my day! Reading all your ideas has me smiling. Simple pleasures--the smell of the top of my ole dog's head and scratching her belly. Sunshine breaking through the fog. Raking fall leaves--crispy, crackly and fragrant. Biting into a just picked apple. Sitting on the beach and just watching the waves. The soft click of knitting needles.
Go to Top of Page

tiffany01
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Tiffany
Indiana
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2005 :  3:21:36 PM  Show Profile
Simple pleasures come in all forms for me:

This week I attended my niece's small town high school band concert. Moving back from South Carolina was worth it to be around for events like these.

See our neighbors horses on the hill from my kitchen window.

Unexpectedly running into a family member while out and about.

Sunday evening "wind down time" - a good dinner and vegging out on the couch starts the work week in a relaxed state.

Being in the middle of a good book and knowing you've got another one waiting on you when you finish.
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2005 :  3:50:55 PM  Show Profile
Another simple pleasure. Today I am making white grape juice, it doesn't smell as good as applesauce, but just knowing those pretty pink jars of juice will be ready anytime husband wants a drink, is a pleasure. Another is getting our house water fixed, the pipe has been leaking. Today we have a new pipeline all the way to the house. We also had an unexpected visit from good friends. Good day all around.

Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2005 :  5:29:19 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by mountainmama

It's so amazing how much we all love the same things! Guess that's why we're all here. I enjoy sharing our morning cups of coffee over a spectacular sunrise coming over the mountains, with the mist hanging low over the lake or the river. I enjoy the evenings when we share a nice bottle of wine and dream of what our future might hold as we watch the sun set behind the mountains.
Lissa
www.cabin-rentals-of-georgia.com

Lissa I completly agree!! Isn't it funny how so many people from all over the country have soooo much in common but yet my neighbors and even members of my own family think I'm crazy? I also share your joy in the mountains. I LOVE THE MOUNTAINS!!! If I got to choose anywhere to live it would be the mountains by a lake hands down. They are magnificent to look at. My dream is to have a log cabin house in the mountains by a lake with my organic garden growing wonderfully. My kids and my animals thoroughly enjoying life. Cloud 9 I tell ya.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2005 :  6:02:15 PM  Show Profile
Just came back from a week in the North Carolina mountains near Otto. Stayed in a log cabin just over the state line from Georgia. The simple pleasures there were so numerous! The stream was the only noise we heard, and the first sound we heared when we woke. The one rainy day we had was quiet joy with watching wild turkeys walking, soaked, in the nearby field. The walks in the mountains were so beautiful, wioth the leaves just beginning to show yellow and red.

Now, I must try to hold those simple memories close and keep enjoying them!

jpbluesky
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Simple Pleasures Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page