Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Looking for ways to improve immune system
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Looking for ways to improve immune system Next Topic  

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2008 :  11:25:02 AM  Show Profile
I'm looking for some ways to eat my immune system healthy. I'm tired of getting everything floating around out there. Any ideas?

You can tell your dog all of your secrets and they'll never say a word!
www.kennelcreations.com

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2008 :  6:39:07 PM  Show Profile
Start taking garlic pills. Up the vitamin C. And consider drinking a Tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a cup of water per day. Those should help.
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2008 :  5:36:25 PM  Show Profile
I'm a teacher, and for a while was getting everything that was going around. Some things that seem to help:

Sleep and whatever relaxes you! I've noticed that when I'm stressed, uptight, and about to lose it, I am more likely to get sick. When I take time do things that relax me, I seem to stay healthier.

I've been mixing the cider vinegar with a tablespoon of local honey just before bed. Seems to help.

Good luck!

Jennifer
Farmgirl Sister #104

"Nature brings to every time and season some beauties of its own".
-Charles Dickens
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2008 :  5:59:44 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Tina,
Also add fermented foods... Like home made sourkrout (and other pickled veggies), kefir, homemade yogart and the likes.. they build up your good flora and boost immune system....In maryJanes back issues of the magazine and in her idea book there are plenty of "how to's"....and if you become a sisterhood member I think you can earn a badge or two in the process...

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2008 :  8:51:09 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, I'll try some of these things. I do like cucumber & onion salad with vinegar.

Tina

www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2008 :  10:58:53 AM  Show Profile
Wow! on the spot perfect for me right now Girls!!!

Thanks for bringing this up Tina..
I have been sick since the beggining of March with Bronchial crud..
I just today have finished up my FIFTH bout of antibiotics! No Kidding!
Just can't get rid of this.. in March Doc said Bronchitis AND walking Pneumonia
(Yes.. i'm sure i've spelled it wrong but I'm going to be let it lie there..) I've been for a Chest x-ray.. that looks fine..
I don't any problem with my sinuses or head.. just my chest & coughing.. It's not a dry cough though.. i plenty of gook along with the cough.. so there is some satisfaction.. yes.. sorry I know thats gross.. but here i am today.. STILL feeling like i did a month ago.. & now JUST finish 875 mg of Augmentin! twice daily for 10 days!.. He's switched it around so i'm not taking the same thing all the time.. & i'm doing the same thing with all the cold meds to help me to keep from coughing non stop too.. So.. I'll be visiting my Friend again Monday To let him know it's still there I reckon!

But I'll try a few of your things girls too.. although i've been cracking at the Vitamin C like there's no tomorrow.. & i swear by Echinacia.. just not getting much relief right now..
I'm not prone to Bronchitis or colds either.. i can't remember ever even having Bronchitis really before.. now here he's said this is it again when i was at The Dr.s two weeks ago..

So.. thanks for the tips ladies!

Kathie..
Farm Girl Sister #29

"In a World Where You Can Be Anything, Be Yourself.."

www.nitegardener.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  03:21:31 AM  Show Profile
Drink lotsa water throughout the day to keep hydtated. When the inside of your nose gets dry-you get more susceptible to germs.

That's why we always seem to get sick after flying. (Use a saline spray for flights longer than 2 hours--about once every hour

Wash hands and when you flush, either turn away if the toilet doesn't have a lid-or close the lid first.
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  05:04:09 AM  Show Profile
What worked for my family was a combination of the following: multi vitamins, fish oil, lots of water, good night sleep, wash hands every time we come in the house, and not sure if this was a coincidence, but we got super healthy when I started making all of my own laundry soap & cleaning products. I have read that all those cleaning chemicals can actually make you sicker. Anyway, the above has done wonder for us this past year! I hope you find what is right for you!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  05:28:11 AM  Show Profile
These are all really great eye openers. I never would have thought of some of them. I hope Kathie is reading these too. Thanks.

Tina

www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  06:21:08 AM  Show Profile
I have 2 immune system diseases and have for the last 15 years and what caused it, and this was told to me by my doctors and backed up by a 2nd opinion at Mayo Clinic.....STRESS! I truly beleive that most of our illnesses can be tracked to some kind of continued stressing of our bodies and/or minds. I'll tell you more if your interested but I haven't been sick in many years now but I went to great lengthes to remove the stress in my life and it seems to have paid off. I don't even get colds anymore (knock on wood!) but I don't set an alarm but if I have to get up really early I go to bed plenty early and sleep until rested, I try to eat healthy but then again I'm not surrounded by a lot of people every day either which leaves me less exposed. My biggest exposure is probably when I go to Walmart (our only big store around here)LOL! I walk 3 miles a day and try to do Pilates 3-4 times a week and I don't allow negative people or other negative influences...the news for instance! LOL! or certain television shows and/or movies into my life. I have rheumatoid arthritis and Graves disease and I almost went blind too (I think I didn't really want to see what was going on in my life!) Anyway...FINALLY I began putting myself and my health first instead of others and I am happy to say I can function and see and I attribute all of it to faith in a greater power and making my first responsibilty to care for myself as that higher power (whatever you might call it) cares for me. Love yourself...truly and sincerely and I think it will help get rid of the "yuckkies"...my experience anyway...you can take it for what it's worth. My illnesses were a major "wake-up" call but I had lots of little ones that I ignored until I got the big ones! So please take really good care of yourself especially when you're sick. We, as women, tend to put ourselves and our needs on the back burner and make sure everyone else is taken care of...BOLOGNA! And you know all those people and things I was putting first and taking care of....they all left me high and dry when I got sick...sooooo...your first responsibiity should be to yourself. Sure hope you get better soon and all the above advice is good stuff too...thanks...I always learn from you gals....you're so smart all of you!
Have a great and healthy week!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  12:03:09 PM  Show Profile
Most Definately Great Advice Sandra!
& yes Tina.. I'm Still Reading..

I had gone back for more Blood work late last week.. then Back to my primamry care Doc just this week.. Now he's thinking there may not be any infection of ANY kind at all..! AFTER the 5 bouts of Antibiotics,. & a discussion os testing for Staph infection.. he's NOW sending me to a Pulminologist.. (Yes.. spelling is probably all wrong.. sorry..) BUT he has changed my inhaler.. for now..
So instead of using the one i had in the past as a Rescue.. i now use this one two puffs at a time.. 4 times a day.. already can tell the difference.. He had decided that this just may be my Asthma being THIS bad all along..
What ever it is.. I'd like to be able to sleep now & then.. & i'm SURE my Husband is thinking the very same thing.. !

Thanks as Always Girls for all the great ideas & tips!

Progression!!! Soon to be feeling better for all of us!!

Kathie..
Farm Girl Sister #29

Go to Top of Page

aimeeravae
True Blue Farmgirl

341 Posts

Aimee
Deer River MN
USA
341 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  9:58:43 PM  Show Profile
I hope you are feeling better soon! I had the crud this winter. UGH! Three weeks I was sick. I didn't go to my doctor. I only took my Allegra-D sparingly. My neighbor got it, was in and out of the doctor for the tests. Four different scripts and three months later, she is starting to feel better. I have quit taking antibiotics for every little thing. It seems to make me worse.

Aimee

http://laplantewardklopf.blogspot.com/ Motto To Live By
"Life should NOT be a jouney to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, latte in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!"
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  05:40:00 AM  Show Profile
I'm finally feeling a little better this week (after 4 weeks of being sick). I started off with poison sumac (ivy)and it took two rounds of the pills to bring this under control; although I still have a little of it left. Next my back went out and I made 5 trips to the chiropractor - and that's better now. Then I developed a really bad cough (the kind you cough your insides up) and the doctor said that it was pneumonia - and I think that I'm almost over that but I'm still a little short of breath. I think the coughing actually put my back into place - go figure! So I would say that I'm on the mend at last. I will be trying many of these ideas to stay healthy.

Tina

www.kennelcreations.com

Edited by - doglady on Jun 23 2008 05:40:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

Quintessential Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Kate
Tyler TX
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  06:38:37 AM  Show Profile
Sage advice from all you lovlies. My front line of defense is Raspx...go to smdi.org and read about the raspberries. My dh and I both take the raspberry supplement twice daily and I am amazed at the results. I also use the creams and am so happy with it. I also use Rescue Remedy............to keep stress at bay.
I am afraid of antibiotics.....so we use lots of fresh garlic and also take garlic supplement daily along with organic multi-vitamines and vitamine C. When we get sick...which is not very often...I will get a natural "antibiotic" from my healthfood store and use it for only 10 - 14 days. Flax seeds in our daily oatmeal also keeps our digestive system healthy.

Peace, Kate

Farmgirl sister #234

http://quintessentialkate.blogspot.com

Today is my best day!
Go to Top of Page

Quintessential Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Kate
Tyler TX
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  06:41:40 AM  Show Profile
P.s.
I became am member of the sisterhood on June 12th...and was wondering how long it takes for the emblem to show up under my name. I received my packet and my patch and my sisterhood # and am just curious how long it takes for the hexagon to show up??? Anyone know???

Peace, Kate

Farmgirl sister #234

Today is my best day!
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  06:50:12 AM  Show Profile
I'm going to check out the Rasberry Supplement.. Hope your feeling better & better Tina!!! I was doing great with the New inhaler.. until I lost the stupid thing.. I have no idea where I've laid it down.. Searched.. & Searched.. i'm such an idiot.. i could have even thrown it away & put something WRONG in the fridge at this point..! (Every have one of THOSE days??) Anyway.. I see my Nuerologist today.. so i'll have him get me another one.. But I'm am gald to be off the Antibiotics.. that was just getting too weird.. wasn't it?? & even crazier.. I can't even remember the last time i'd ever even been on an Antibiotic!.. so blah!

Bonus.. I actually hit the Jack pot this weekend.. My Store was having a 50% off on their Vitamins.. Not all.. just a handful of specific ones.. But I snagged some more Vitamin D.. Which My Dr. & I had JUST been Discussing.. as Well as Fish Oil.. I got some more Vitamin C.. I think It was Flx seed Oil.. & a couple more things.. So.. Yippee huh? Grape Seed was there too.. but i couldn't recall what i would be using that for.. so i left it for someone else..

Hope everyone is happy & Healthy today!

Take Care Girls.. & Thanks as always for the lift of hope!

Kathie..
Farm Girl Sister #29

Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  07:32:06 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
kate,
I knw the folks at the farm have been "slammed to the wall" trying to get the next magazine out... So I would give them this week.. ( things will be back to.... almost normal) and if you dont hear something email either Gabe or Sunny and they will look into it....:) Welcome to the sister hood!

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page

Quintessential Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Kate
Tyler TX
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  09:13:27 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Rene.....I'm so darn excited about this.
I love this site...and just the basic concept of back to the basics and simplicity. Everyone is so friendly...and full of knowledge. WE are a FORCE to be RECKONED with. I think about our accumulative knowledge....and it is AWESOME.
I will patiently wait for my emblem....I will be sooooo proud when it shows up.

Peace, Kate

Farmgirl sister #234

Today is my best day!
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Looking for ways to improve immune system Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page