Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  09:55:28 AM  Show Profile
I started on Zocor (a "statin" drug) a couple of weeks ago. I had been in for a routine exam, labs, etc, and all of the individual componants of my cholesterol were good except for my LDLs (the bad cholesterol) which were thru the roof.
My doc talked to me about statin drugs. I said "no", went home and thought about it for a week and then decided to try it. He gave me Zocor at a low dose. I was told to watch for any unusual muscle pain. Having fibromyalgia already, I figured this was going to be a trick, but it did happen and was completely debilitating. I stopped the drug yesterday and feel better already, but am still quite tired (extra fatigue is evidently part of it, too)
I should have prefaced this by saying that my good and bad cholesterol had been under good control with diet (LOTS of omega-3) and then suddenly went wacko. My doc thinks genetics. I'm not sure what to think.
Anyone go thru this? What was your solution?
THANKS!

Jana

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  10:07:29 AM  Show Profile
I won't go into diet as we all know what we should and should not eat, but I think there is some genetic tendency to high cholestrol levels or at least a variation on what is "normal" for each one of us. My sister-in-law does not cook, lives on fastfood burgers and donuts (has the 250+ weight to prove it), sits on her lazy butt and yet her cholestrol level is lower than mine. Go figure!
I was given a statin drug as well, two different ones actually, and couldn't tolerate them at all. I had such pain in my legs and hips and just wiped out fatigue. It took about six weeks to feel normal and be without pain. I would NEVER take them again.
So my solution...eat a commonsense diet low in saturated fat and forget the numbers.
Di
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  9:55:32 PM  Show Profile
More fiber in your diet and plenty of exercise (swimming is very good and easy on the joints) might help too. And FRESH foods. I'm convinced that all the chemicals and CRAP that's put in our food nowdays is really taking it's toll on people (I mean, have you ever seen the ingredients in boxed POTATOES?)

High Cholesterol was one of the things we saw the most at the Dr's office where I used to work. I was fortunate enough to work with an Osteopathic Doctor and even HE agreed that the "new" drugs to treat Cholesterol can be VERY bad for you. A lot of doctors are going back to the "Old School" cholesterol meds because of the terrible side affects of the Statin drugs, and the older drugs don't have those side affects and work just as well for many people.

Unfortunately, the pharmaceutical companies like to heavily promote their "New WONDER drugs" because they hold a patent on them and can charge whatever they like (and they actually PAY some doctors to PUSH them-- I've seen the offers with my own two eyes! It made me SICK!!!). A lot of times, the true findings on the drugs never come out until it's too late for someone. (I'm sure you all know of one drug or another that's been pulled from the market over the years!)

If it IS a genetic issue that's causing the problem, I don't think there's much that can be done "Naturally." If this doctor you're seeing can't seem to help you find a way to control it, or he/she INSISTS you keep taking drugs that make you sick or cause you pain, or seems not to really CARE what's happening to you, you really should get a second opinion. There are many other doctors out there and, fortunatley, you're not MARRIED to him (or HER) and can see whomever you like. (at least, whomever your INSURANCE is contracted with-- oh, that's ANOTHER sore subject with me!) Good luck Jana. I will keep you in my thoughts and pray that a good solution comes along. Hugs~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  10:10:10 PM  Show Profile
When I last got my blood checked my triglicerides were high. My doctor put me on Crestor and I had the same thing...terrible fatigue and muscle pain. I lasted a week and just stopped taking them. I am pretty good about the high fiber thing..but stepped it up a notch and I am hoping it helps. I can't live the way things were with that medicine and I didn't mention to my doctor that I stopped taking it since I KNOW she would want me to try another and another. NOPE. I hated it.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic High LDL advice? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page