lilyblossom
True Blue Farmgirl

416 Posts

Donna
Evansville IN
USA
416 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2008 :  9:05:59 PM  Show Profile
Indiana, especially the central part of the state, was hit hard by hail and 10 inches of rain Friday night. There has been major flooding throughout the area.

Indiana farmgirls please check - in and let us know if your okay. If there is anything you need please let us know.

Donna...true blue KY farmgirl...farmgirl #86

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2008 :  09:05:32 AM  Show Profile
We have had storms all week here in NW Indiana... "only" about 6 inches of rain (in 3 hours), with some flash flooding. We have a very un-neighborly neighbor who sandbagged the ditch between our home and his cornfield, and plugged up drainage tiles on his property. So we got alllllll the water on our side...our gas tank floated away and the vegetable garden was under water, not to mention our corn was under water for two days. Thankfully our electric has stayed on, or the basement would surely have flooded as the sump pump runs continually. This has never happened here before.

I'm afraid we will have to try to convince the old fart to let the water take it's natural course or else we'll have to go to the county drainage board...not something I want to pursue. But this old feller is a real blight on the neighborhood. He doesn't live in the area but has farmground here. Our home or his corn? Hmmmm...a no brainer. He pretends he doesn't understand the problem...neighbors agree he is "crazy like a fox". LOL

Last summer I saw his workers still in the field while a crop duster (hired by old fart) sprayed the fields!!! I was appalled!

I'm just grateful things have not been worse in this area. Some in the southern part of our state are really suffering. Pray for them & lend a helping hand to your neighbors in need if you are in that area.

Rhonda

I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance even if I'm the only one...

http://www.kattywhompus.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2008 :  11:02:06 AM  Show Profile
Well,we live about 25 miles south of Terre Haute and our county is in a "state of emergency", but my home is safe. The road to our south is flooded and many of the other county roads are flooded, but some of the water has gone down a bit now. Except that we are supposed to get 3 more inches tonight. We only have one field of corn that is completely underwater, but all the fields are very wet. We only got about 3 inches Friday night, but maybe 3-5 miles north of us got 6 or more. We live about 2 miles east of the levee that holds back the Wabash, but it has held very well in the past, so we know our house will be OK as we are on high, sandy ground. But, we have some friends that live right next to it and I think this evening we are taking a trailer down to get alot of the things out of their home just in case.

Overall, we have been very lucky in our little area, but it is amazing how much water is around us. There are so many fields that are completely underwater and will be for quite a while. Remember to keep all the farmers in your prayers!

Rhonda, that is crazy about your neighbor. What an old coot!
Go to Top of Page

lilyblossom
True Blue Farmgirl

416 Posts

Donna
Evansville IN
USA
416 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2008 :  3:05:52 PM  Show Profile
Rhonda sounds like you just might have to contact the county about the "old fart". He sounds like the type who is going to do what he wants and doesn't care about who he hurts in the process.

Toni, I'm glad your safe and sound.

Donna...true blue KY farmgirl...farmgirl #86
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Indiana farmgirl Check-in Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page