homemakerkate
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

Kate
Ewen Michigan
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2008 :  12:24:05 PM  Show Profile
It is time for me to get busy gathering up the kids handmade things for County fair and to gather some of mine. Do you go to fair? Do you and your family put in entries? What is your favorite catagory? Anyone entering animals? Quilts? Veggies, canned foods, baked goods, sewn garments, paintings, drawings art work of any kind? How bout house plants and terreriums? Cut flowers? Baking a special pie? At our fair we do a big equine show that weekend and our farm animals and auctions are a big hit. I love to see what the kids have made and of course all the baking and sewing and canning. Anyone here competing for Homemaker of the Year? I did in 2003 and won and if I can do it anyone can. I loved it and had a blast doing it. Tell me about your fair.

http://homemakerkate2.blogspot.com

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  7:43:56 PM  Show Profile
I participated in our county fair about four years ago now, I think it was. I entered some pencil drawings, and my sister actually entered some green bell peppers she'd grown... they were the biggest, most beautiful peppers I'd ever seen, and they tasted DELICIOUS! She won the division award for those. I kinda miss the fair, now that you have me thinking of it. It usually comes around in August here, but August is a crazy busy month, so I haven't had a chance to participate in the last few years.

If I were to enter anything this year, I'd probably do more drawings, some kitchen stuff, and maybe a bit of sewing... I'd have to think what things exactly, but those are my fav catagories.

The Homemaker of the Year sounds so cool! I don't think our fair had that..... hmm...

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  8:28:58 PM  Show Profile
We love our county fair and the kids and I enter things each year. Ours isn't until the third week in August..so two more months to get ready..but it is a cute small county fair.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  8:33:01 PM  Show Profile
Ours is around the beginning of August, too. I don't enter anything...never had the nerve, I guess. Also, they don't really display the "rules" very well, or in time. I do love to go, though. Watch the horse shows, see the quilts on display, eat all the food. It's not the Boone County Fair if I don't eat a mess of the Lions Club homemade donuts before I go. And you HAVE to take a dozen home (cinnamon/sugar mix and powdered sugar, thanks :))...I have to pet every calf, cow, chicken, duck, pig, piglet, horse whatever before I leave and then let my dogs interrogate me for hours when I come home. On Friday nights, I will usually meet out close friends at the fair for the crash derby, or a tractor pull. Always fun and always a spectical!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2008 :  5:09:10 PM  Show Profile
[quotee a big hit. I love to see what the kids have made and of course all the baking and sewing and canning. Anyone here competing for Homemaker of the Year? I did in 2003 and won and if I can do it anyone can. I loved it and had a blast doing it. Tell me about your fair.

[/quote]
I never did the county fair as a child so I had my girls do it when we lived in ca. and my dd got 1st for her poem, now here in TX they do animals every year pigs and goats, and the older one does photos and the younger one does crafts. I do not enter as it's hectic enough helping girls but i did enter a pie once in our founders day and placed 2nd! :) it was fun

AngiK

For he is faithful that promised. Hebrews 10:23

check out Texas 4H! http://texas4-h.tamu.edu/
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2008 :  7:23:13 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I LOVE county fairs! I love everything about it, the smell the energy in the air... Love them!

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page

downbranchroad
True Blue Farmgirl

374 Posts

Joy
Southern KY
USA
374 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2008 :  7:31:12 PM  Show Profile  Send downbranchroad a Yahoo! Message
You all, enjoy those county fairs and be thankful because a lot of work goes to pulling the event off. I work for Cooperative Extension and we have work almost nonstop for the last several weeks getting ready for our Fair. It starts Friday night!
We have a really nice EXPO but folks those take lots of work and planning. So get out there, enter items and enjoy!

* Just a plug for Extension. Farmgirls take advantage of the many many free services that your local Extension office offers.

Appalachian Girl
Jem

*If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got.

My new blog!
http://downbranchroad.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2008 :  9:06:48 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by downbranchroad

You all, enjoy those county fairs and be thankful because a lot of work goes to pulling the event off. I work for Cooperative Extension and we have work almost nonstop for the last several weeks getting ready for our Fair. It starts Friday night!
We have a really nice EXPO but folks those take lots of work and planning. So get out there, enter items and enjoy!

* Just a plug for Extension. Farmgirls take advantage of the many many free services that your local Extension office offers.

Appalachian Girl
Jem

*If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got.

My new blog!
http://downbranchroad.blogspot.com

oh bless you joy!! I know how hard the extension agents work and we try to honor them each year. I am a 4H leader and talk with them often. Keep up the great job and have fun at the fair- after all your hard work you do. hugs

AngiK

For he is faithful that promised. Hebrews 10:23

check out Texas 4H! http://texas4-h.tamu.edu/
Go to Top of Page

homemakerkate
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

Kate
Ewen Michigan
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2008 :  04:11:14 AM  Show Profile
another plug for the extension offices, any thing that you need to know about gardening and animal husbandry they have it. If they dont have it in the office you can find it on line. YEAH! I have been doing research on a certain crop my husband and I want to put in, we needed to know varieties, pest and disease suseptability and resistantes, harvest times, ect..and everything was on line with our states extention. You cant beat that. they did all the work for us and put it all in one place!!

Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2008 :  10:04:22 PM  Show Profile
The County Fair is an annual family event for us and has been since the grown kids were little. We've been through the 4-H years and I have been in the home extension clubs. Now, we take everyone - 18 of us - to the fair each year. We take in all the exhibits, usually our youngest two and the oldest two grands have entries, then we head for the livestock barn. After looking at the animal entries, I keep the youngest of the grands and visit with friends in the stock barn, while dh and the grown kids take everyone else to the midway. We have a blast and often see people we haven't seen since the previous fair, plus the kids get to see former classmates.

The grandkids put fair time right up there with Christmas. :-)

Farmgirls don't have hot flashes ~ They have power surges!
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2247 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2247 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2008 :  3:33:44 PM  Show Profile
Fairs are good family fun. I just wish they would have more healthy food for sale.

I use to enter stuff in the county fair where we used to live and won first place sweepstakes in both preserved foods and baking. It's a lot of work and the prizes are small.

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2008 :  8:39:45 PM  Show Profile
I started showing at our county fair when I was 9 and in 4-H. I loved making as many things as possible plus the animals. Now, DD just takes her lambs and a pen of meat birds. She use to show rabbits, chickens, sheep, clothing, horticulture and other non-livestock projects, but now she mostly likes taking the sheep.

Ours is the first week in August.

Let us know how your kids do.
Go to Top of Page

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  03:46:22 AM  Show Profile
Our fair is almost here. July 31 is entry day. Both my children are in 4H so we are busy finishing up posters and projects. No animals for us although many in the club do beef, sheep and pigs. I love the Open entry. This year I will be entering aprons, a skirt, and a quilt as well as a photograph.

My favorite part of the fair is perusing the red metal building to see the 4H displays, open entries and group exhibits. Since we are part of 4H we help with cleaning before it starts and work in the 4H ice cream booth. I usually display the 4H quilt I put together with blocks from each club when 4H was celebrating 100 years.

The kids plan which friends will go with them, family comes up from NJ for the fair and we make sure we get out for at least one day of watching tractor pulls and horse racing as well as the fireworks. Our fair is very reasonable, one price of $8 to ride all the rides and park. You can bring your own water and/or food. It is such a fun way to be together as a family and enjoy all the pleasures of living in the country.

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  06:21:08 AM  Show Profile
When my kids were younger and I was a 4H leader (15 yrs) we lived at the fair (or so it seemed). Evergreen State Fair in Monroe, Wa. They entered theirs horses and drawings. We always had such a good time. Then it was over and they were grown and and lots of time went by. Now I enter my photos in the Stanwood-Camano Community Fair which is coming up this weekend. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  5:10:47 PM  Show Profile
I serve as an officer of our county fair here. We just had it back in June and it's always a busy busy busy time for us, but I enjoy it. I do photography for the events and they go into the local paper. I started back about when I was 10 back in my hometown entering 4H Projects. Over the years, I've entered everything from tobacco plants to photography (Grand Champ a few times & went on to state) to biscuits to sewing to all kinds of other goodies. It amazes me with the talent that folks have. I enjoy doing it though.

We also have truck pulls (several), tractor pull, demo derby, mud run, mud sling, several horse shows, a horse pull, and everything else in the world. They charge $10, pay one price to ride all the rides, see pageants, enjoy motorsports, etc. We usually try to have a celebrity out each year to entertain the crowd. This year we had the Men's Pretty Legs contest and a dear 91 years youngin won it!!

~Jessica in Kentucky & Farmgirl Sisterhood #137~
Be sure to visit my blog & Crafty Clipart for some of my photographs:
http://bluegrassprincess.blogspot.com/
http://www.craftyclipart.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  8:47:20 PM  Show Profile
Kate:
A country fair sure sounds like lots of fun. I'd love to go to one. Is there one in SW Louisiana? If anyone knows, let me know.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  06:22:54 AM  Show Profile
Marly,
I don't know what towns are down in SW Louisiana, but you can look on the Louisiana Fairs & Festival's page:
http://www.laffnet.org/fairs_and_festivals.htm

Scroll down and look by date or town. Looks like there are all kinds of fun down there. I can hear the cajun music playing right now. :)

~Jessica in Kentucky & Farmgirl Sisterhood #137~
Be sure to visit my blog & Crafty Clipart for some of my photographs:
http://bluegrassprincess.blogspot.com/
http://www.craftyclipart.com
Go to Top of Page
  Gathered Up: Previous Topic County Fair Time Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page