605 Posts

Kim
Gettysburg PA
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2008 :  07:32:36 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by UrbanChick

Hello. I haven't written here for a while but I have a 12yr old Missouri Fox Trotter mare. It's my first horse and she's been great. We are currently looking for a second horse, I'm going to look at an 8 yr old Appy gelding on Monday. We'll see how that goes. I've heard good and bad things about Appys. Too smart, can be stubborn, etc. but I think I can handle him as long as he is kept busy and we keep up with his ground work and respect. I'll let you guys know if we have a new addition to our house. Don't know too much about Appys.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."

Appaloosas are my all time favorite breed! Yes, they are smart, opinionated and sometimes a little lazy but once they become bonded with you, they have more heart and personality than any other breed I"ve met....plus you get all those great spots! LOL

Not that I'm biased or anything but I think you'll find the breed is well worth the time and energy!

Kim

Farmgirl #184

http://www.tabithalenox.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2008 :  11:04:27 AM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
We have three horses now.

Two years ago, we got Dusty, a Thoroughbred colt with a slightly deformed cannon bone. It's not bad enough to keep him from being ridden, but it disqualifies him from ANY competitive rides, and he was supposed to be a race horse. Last fall, Cindy got on him three times for very short periods, and he was a perfect gentleman. She's been training him since he was a yearling.

Last summer we enlarged our stable, thinking maybe we'd get a mustang. Well, we got a Quarter Horse/Paint Mare who's just a little spooky. She's fully broke and quite ridable although she doesn't want me on her. She's Bev's horse. I can walk up and pet her, but have to do so very carefully as she'd prefer us all to keep our distance. As best we can tell, she's a ranch horse that was probably "rough broken" and then turned out to pasture. Cindy says her trot will kill you.

Then, our neighbor/mentor sold her place and couldn't take her little filly, a Paint that was just barely a year old. Dakota is my pocket pet. She's a very agreeable little girl who was nicely imprinted. I'll be training her over the next couple of years. We'll be putting a saddle on her this year, but won't be trying to ride her until next summer, late.

Right now, we're without a round pen as we're buying our own. We get the first 7 or 8 panels before the end of this month. Then, by the middle of next month, we'll get the last 4 panels and gate.

I rode as a kid. Cindy was a barrel racer, and Bev spent her summers with her Grandfather and his sulky ponies. Of course that was better than 40 years ago!

Shari Thomas
Got lambs? Got fleece? We do, and you can too! Check our our new "Fleece For Sale" page.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2008 :  06:12:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Shari! So nice to hear from you!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2008 :  09:36:29 AM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
Hi Alee,

And you too! I've been trying to catch up will all that's happening. Looks like you're on a real adventure.

Shari Thomas
Got lambs? Got fleece? We do, and you can too! Check our our new "Fleece For Sale" page.
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2008 :  8:39:35 PM  Show Profile
You have no idea how it amazes me to see how many people KNOW and love Paso Finos! My grandmother started raising them in the early 60's and people didn't have a clue what they were. I could go on and on, but I'll spare you the mushy details. I'm so glad people are enjoying the breed.

I interviewed a Paso colt just yesterday, and he stole my heart. I haven't had a horse in years, and when I did, he was a Paso Fino (of course). So I'm crossing my fingers on this one and hope it all works out. He's only 3 weeks old now, and we've got a barn to build, and they have yet to set a price. What a journey lies ahead (I hope). :) His lt. grey eyes don't show well here, but they are striking in person. Will be a buckskin with small pinto marks.

We make a difference.

Edited by - Huckelberrywine on Jun 17 2008 9:52:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  10:00:05 AM  Show Profile
Question for you gals with horses...I just heard something really interesting and I wonder if it is true to Paso Finos particularly, or generally true? If you measure from the hair-line at the hoof to the center of the knee, say 14.5 inches, then it works out to be the same number as the hand-size. On a Paso Fino, this can be done at any age, since the leg bones don't change in length. Kind of like when you stretch your arms out and your finger-tip length equals your height. I found it interesting, and a quick test on Paso Finos proved it. What do you notice on other breeds? It sure makes it easier to tell how tall a youngster will be fully grown.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  1:25:45 PM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
Our mentor said that when her little foals were born, she could tell about how big they'd be by comparing their leg length to the mare's leg length, as apparently the legs are as long as they'll ever be.

It's the body on top of those long, spindly legs that continues to grow, and provide additional height.

Shari Thomas
Go to Top of Page

Lydia Martin
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Lydia
Talladega Al
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2008 :  3:55:16 PM  Show Profile
Hey to yall, I am happy to tell ya my buckskin paso fino is doing well and his eye is fine. We rode for about half an hour yesterday just alittle exercise to get started. anyway will try to send picture. I have all my pics on Piccasa 2 so how do I send them to this site? Can anyone instruct me how to do that? Thanks for the interest in how my baby made out Michelle, and TabithaLenox for welcomeing me here. Talk to ya farmgirls latter.

Yours Always Cowgirl
Go to Top of Page

artbysue
True Blue Farmgirl

218 Posts

Sue
Kidron Ohio
USA
218 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2008 :  8:54:16 PM  Show Profile
The paso colt is beautiful! I have a new foal too that has grey/blue eyes also. that was quite a surprise because we were not expecting that.

equine and animal artist, Amish art, www.suesteiner.com www.amish-art.com
www.amulti-coloredlife.blogspot.com
http://www.cafepress.com/suesteiner
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  10:13:43 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations on your new foal, Sue! I did a quick look on line to find out about those eyes, and it is amazing the amount of research going into genes. I don't know what kind of horse you raise, but in some breeds, there is a gene (in this colt's case carried by the palomino sire) that shows as light eyes that eventually turn amber in adulthood. There are other light-eye genes, but that is the one this little guy most likely has. It was a surprize in this case too, since he is the first sired by this particular stallion.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Any Farmgirls own Horses? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page