TabithaLenox
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Kim
Gettysburg PA
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  09:15:37 AM  Show Profile
Thinking of your pony and hope he heals quickly!

Kim

Farmgirl #184

http://www.tabithalenox.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  10:13:03 AM  Show Profile
Alee-- Who is Tala's sire? I used to know the Arab bloodlines well, since Arab's have been MY passion too, (for as LOOONG as I can remember!) but I haven't studied the lines in YEARS!!

My First Arab was a Rose-grey Colt. He was SO increadably SWEET!!! He was SUPPOSED to be straight Crabbit, but he also had Egyptian and Polish blood in him. (He was VERY tall for a 2yr old!) Not hard to find when you really research the lines. He was a real doll, but I had to sell him at a local auction-- I couldn't sell him OUTRIGHT knowing that he had several physical and genetic issues, (LOOONG story!) but he lived a very happy life not far from here, so I'm not sorry I let him go. I'm just glad I was able to get him away from the IDIOT who had him first!! I was new to horses then (nearly 20yrs ago) and I trusted the man when he said the horse was sound. I learned so much about the breed because of that colt--- bloodlines, history and origins, the different CLASSES of Arabs etc.... I was never sorry I bought him.

I also had a GORGEOUS Straight Spanish Mare (A little more stocky in builed than the egyptians--- don't remember her lines off hand). Unlike my FIRST Arab, she was a VERY easy keeper, so she was on the chubby side when I had her.

I miss my Arabs. I still admire the beauty, the grace, and the FIRE in those little (and NOT so little!) horses!! Someday, when my others are gone, I might have another one. Until then, I will just admire the pictures you (Alee) send of your little beauty!!!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  10:22:59 AM  Show Profile
Hey Lydia, a question (or two) for you -- how long have you had your Paso? I got an older mare, (17), this past winter and she's VERY different. How fast do they go? Do they ever actually RUN? My girl "moves out" but she doesn't go full bore like the other horses I have. Is it because of her AGE, or is it because of her BREED?

Oh, and I'm really glad your buddy is doing better. There's nothing harder to deal with than a sick or injured horse!! (except a sick, WHINEY HUSBAND!!! LOL) ~~Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  10:56:59 AM  Show Profile
Alee, that tiny muzzle! What a honey, and her dad is just gorgeous.

FYI group at large, Im always willing to barter chilled semen for farmgirl stuff...I spose this should go to the barter section....

Not all those who wander are lost...
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  2:59:08 PM  Show Profile
Sarah.... um... dare I even ASK? WHAT is the semen from?

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  3:10:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Tracey-

Tala is out of HS Infinite (only a 4 year old so you might not have heard of him) who is out of Simeon Sadik (imported from Australia for $1,000,000). Her dam is Thee Fancy Lady out of RHR Safar

www.hsinfinite.com
http://www.rockinheart.com/horsepages/Breeding%20Stock/sires/Safar/Safar%20profile.htm

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Renee M. in Michigan
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Renee
Allendale MI
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  5:49:10 PM  Show Profile

Renee, I've always wanted to ride an Icelandic but haven't had the opportunity. They look like a fun breed!
Kim

Farmgirl #184

Hi Kim,
They are fun! Before Icelandics and gaited horses, my husband had a Quarterhorse and I had an Arabian mare that was lovely to use in the handicapped riding program I volunteered for in a nice, safe, arena setting, but an absolute basket case out on the trail. So I went looking for something else. Soley arrived as a two year old and she was everything I wanted -- an "old soul" type horse from the beginning, easy to train, and just a joy to ride. I like Icelandics because they trot and canter under saddle just like any other horse, (or they should) but when you get tired of that, you can switch over to their very smooth saddle gait which is like a TWH's rack. It's a smorgasboard of gaiting options. : ) Plus, they are just good buddies and easy to get on.

I won't say I wouldn't have any other breed because I love all horses, but I'm pretty smitten with the Icelandics. And please don't base your opinion of them on what you see in the demos at Equine Affaire and such -- those horses are ridden horribly IMHO. Tight nosebands, riders with death grips on the reins pulling and holding the horses up in gait, riders sitting back on the cantles -- totally no equitation at all. ICK, ICK ICK!!
A naturally gaited Icelandic needs none of that to gait and gait well.
Anyway, it's not a breed for everyone because many people can't see themselves on a P-O-N-Y, but if you can get past the shortness, they are great!

Now, if they only came in leopard Appaloosa coloring. . . : ) Love that!

-- Renee M. up in the mitten

No woman ever made history by following the rules.
Go to Top of Page

Renee M. in Michigan
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Renee
Allendale MI
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  5:53:55 PM  Show Profile
In these pictures she is in a partially fenced field that is about 10 acres. She is so sweet and trustworthy that you will notice her without halter! Of course we don't let her run around in an unfenced field all the time without a halter- just for pictures!

Hi Alee,
Actually, I HATE to see horses turned out with halters. After colic, one of the leading causes of death in horses is strangulation by being caught on something with their halter. . . Foals especially are notorious for scratching their ears with a hoof (like a dog) and the danger of them getting that little hoof stuck in a halter is very real. So, I think it's great that that little gal is *naked*!

My horses never wear halters except when I'm waiting for the vet or farrier. Use clicker training and you'll never have trouble catching your horse or haltering it. They'll come to you!

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  7:16:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Renee-

The horses at the ranch at "naked" when they are turned out normally(for the exact reason you mentioned), but they aren't allowed to roam free in an unfenced pasture (where the photos were taken) as that is just asking for the horses to wander onto the country roads and get injured by traffic. I just always think it's neat that the foals even at 3 months would rather be with "their" human than running off. :D They imprint at birth and work really hard on encouraging people bonding. :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com

Edited by - Alee on Jun 05 2008 7:18:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

Renee M. in Michigan
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Renee
Allendale MI
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  8:46:12 PM  Show Profile
Ahhh, okay -- how did I miss that "unfenced" part!?!?

Now, is this little filly destined to be yours someday when you get your own place?

Go to Top of Page

miraclewelsh
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Samantha
Northern Wisconsin
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  8:49:27 PM  Show Profile
Fun thread! It's very interesting to hear about everyone's horses. We raise Welsh Ponies and Cobs (mainly Sec. A Welsh Mountain Ponies)... our first foal of 2008 arrived on Monday and is a darling buckskin colt. As soon as I get the pictures transferred over to this computer I will post one. :-) He's really adorable.

Miracle Welsh Ponies & Cobs
Blog: http://www.foxhillphoto.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  8:58:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Renee-

Yes, I am DYING to have this filly! She is AMAZING. She has this beautiful natural floating trot. She seems to hang suspended in the air at the peak of her gait for a second. Just gorgeous! I was there the day they filmed her video and before the techies put music to it you could hear me in the background! LOL! I couldn't stop exclaiming about how beautiful her movement is and her disposition.

When Nora was littler I would carry her in a pack in front. All the other babies shied away from the weird looking human with the squirmy noisy _thing_ strapped to her chest but not Tala! She loves Nora and calmly sniffed her and never even flicked an ear.

My good friends at the ranch and I are hoping that I get to make her mine soon! I am praying that I get a settlement from a small claims matter so I can put a down-payment on her!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Renee M. in Michigan
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Renee
Allendale MI
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  9:31:33 PM  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by Alee
>Yes, I am DYING to have this filly! . . . I are hoping that I get to make her mine soon! <

It will happen. Just visualize that you already own her. Thoughts become things via the power of positive thinking.

I prefer to buy young, clean-slate horses. You know their history, what's been done (and what hasn't) with them, how they've been handled, and what they've experienced. To me, a young horse is easier to deal with than many older horses with baggage where you often have to undo before you can go forward and even then, there's usually some early, strong, undesirable default behaviors that are very hard to completely get rid of.

Of course, that isn't to say there aren't some wonderful, older horses around that are great to learn on and great for kids.

But my own preference is for youngsters. : )

Go to Top of Page

Renee M. in Michigan
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Renee
Allendale MI
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  9:34:37 PM  Show Profile

Alee,
I forgot to ask -- is this little girl going to stay bay or gray out?

My old Arab mare, Misty, was Bay with a star.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  10:57:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Renee,

Her sire is homozygous black (even though he himself is a grey) and her mother and maternal grandsire are both blacks. However she is going to stay that beautiful bay color like her great-great maternal grandsire. I have always loved bays :D Black Straight Egyptian Arabians seem to sell a bit higher and she has good chance of producing black off-spring especially with the stallion I would like to eventually breed her to- Al Baraki.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
Milk 'n Honey Ranch Central, WA
USA
865 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2008 :  08:47:36 AM  Show Profile
We have 5 horses now. Down from 6, because of the pony passing away a little bit ago.
We have a Saddlebred/Arab, Arab, Paint, Quarter Horse, and a Thoroughbred/Quarter Horse.

Dalyn

Muckboots 'N Aprons Chapter
~Hick Chicks Soap Barn ~
www.hickchickssoapbarn.com

Homespun Raw Goat Milk Soaps 'n More

http://muckbootsnaprons.blogspot.com/
http://proverbs31nubians.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2008 :  09:16:01 AM  Show Profile
Alee, I'm not familiar with Tala's immediate kin. I've been out of the loop longer than I thought! The lines I'm familiar with are "Fadjur" and "Bey Shah," and "VF Fame." (there are more, but I can't recall the names off hand. those horses are probably all dead by now ANYWAY!)

I know Fame died young. I think he was actually about 5yrs old or so. Sad. I remember reading about it somewhere several years ago. I think it was an illness.

My Art teacher, when I was in 10th grade, was on of the partners who owned Fame. She LOVED Arabs. We shared that passion, and she would bring in pictures so we could see him. It was fun hearing her talk about the shows and such, but it was also the reason I never REALLY got into them. The "show" stock are worth a small FORTUNE!!! Even just to breed to one of the top stallions of the time could cost more than a good used car!!! OUCH!!! But then, there is SERIOUS money involved in ANY aspect of showing horses. I like that little saying-- "I used to be rich, until I got a horse!!" Oh how true!! ~~~ Tracy

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2008 :  11:01:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Tracey-

Yes, all the horses on the ranch are show stock, as is Tala, of course. The Bey lines are not Straight Egyptian, but Afire Bey is gorgeous! Here he is:

I often wish that he was Straight Egyptian as he and Tala would make pretty babies!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2008 :  4:11:53 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by shepherdgirl

Sarah.... um... dare I even ASK? WHAT is the semen from?

Oh dear, how embarrassing...I was just following the thread. I offer semen from my imported friesian stallion, Saxon.
www.abraxasbaroque.com

We just had a paint x andalusian born at our farm yesterday. She has a crescent moon shaped star and is covered in spots!

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2008 :  6:34:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sarah- Is www.abraxasbaroque.com affiliated at all with Abraxas Arabians?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

thegoatlady84
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Robyn
Breton Alberta
Canada
10 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2008 :  09:15:46 AM  Show Profile
HI there, we have 3 Ponys 4 minis 3 QH 1 Pintaloosa 1 Belgian 1 Tb 1 percheron 1 paint,2 Arabians and two orphan foals coming in a week. My Arabian mare is a show champion in the USA and Canada, and the colt is from Falcon Crest Arabians and is out of Ray Dor Echo. Both horses were given to me. See my site for photos of all. I ride English and western, I am training my horses with Parelli Natural Horsemanship. www.freewebs.com/rocknmnubians/index.htm

Rock'n M Dairy stock
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2008 :  2:02:50 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Alee

Sarah- Is www.abraxasbaroque.com affiliated at all with Abraxas Arabians?

No it isnt, I own and run abraxas LLC which is the umbrella company under which I sell my artwork, Fortryllelse Studios, my herbal equine care line, Abraxas Herbals, and my horse breeding operation, Abraxas Baroque. The main name came before the horses and so while I did know of abraxas arabians, I couldnt part with it. :)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com

Go to Top of Page

rockinhorse
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Robin
yucca valley Ca
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2008 :  10:40:31 PM  Show Profile  Send rockinhorse an AOL message  Send rockinhorse a Yahoo! Message
wow, you all have quite a pick of georgous horses. I do have one clydesdale and she is 19 hands and wonderful. she gives the name of gental giant reason. I have had her for about 2.5 years and am now looking to accuare eiather a mustang or paint, possibly an appalusa... my daughter likes to ride dersauge and Im more the trail rider myself. How does anyone get horses for free... they have always cost me some big bucks..... well its all worth it in the end.... take care all. its been a while since my last post.

sunny california,
robin

Happiness must be grown in one's own garden!
Go to Top of Page

QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
Milk 'n Honey Ranch Central, WA
USA
865 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2008 :  9:45:34 PM  Show Profile
Hey girls...my sweetie and I got to take a nice eveing ride around the ranch and neighboring orchards...go look on my blog, where I posted the trip in pictures: http://muckbootsnaprons.blogspot.com/2008/06/evening-horseback-ride-chores.html

Dalyn

Muckboots 'N Aprons Chapter
~Hick Chicks Soap Barn ~
www.hickchickssoapbarn.com

Homespun Raw Goat Milk Soaps 'n More

http://muckbootsnaprons.blogspot.com/
http://proverbs31nubians.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2008 :  07:24:08 AM  Show Profile
Hello. I haven't written here for a while but I have a 12yr old Missouri Fox Trotter mare. It's my first horse and she's been great. We are currently looking for a second horse, I'm going to look at an 8 yr old Appy gelding on Monday. We'll see how that goes. I've heard good and bad things about Appys. Too smart, can be stubborn, etc. but I think I can handle him as long as he is kept busy and we keep up with his ground work and respect. I'll let you guys know if we have a new addition to our house. Don't know too much about Appys.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Any Farmgirls own Horses? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page