TabithaLenox
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Kim
Gettysburg PA
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2008 :  05:33:09 AM  Show Profile
Was wondering how many Farmgirls out there have horses and what kind of riding do you do? I have 3 horses and a mule, ride Western and love to trail ride!

Kim

Farmgirl #184

http://www.tabithalenox.blogspot.com

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2008 :  07:18:00 AM  Show Profile
I have a mare, Huckleberry Honey. :D Half Arab/half Blazer, 4 years old, and very green, lol. I haven't started her yet since she's Arabian, and four years old is ideal for them, so I'll probably start riding her this fall after I settle in from the move. She was imprinted at birth, so she thinks she's a big puppy dog, lol. I ride Western when I get the chance, and trail riding is my all time favorite past time! Here's a pic of my baby girl...

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2008 :  09:38:46 AM  Show Profile
Oh Jodi! Your mare is just BEAUTIFUL!!! I've had two Arabs (at different times) and I just LOVE that breed!!! I have a question though-- what's a "Blazer?" (I thought I knew my horses!)

Anyway, we have FOUR horses. A Morgan gelding (he's my LOVE BUG!!), a Quarter-Pony Mare, a Paso Fino mare and a Hanovarian X mare. I think the other half is thoroughbred-- she's kind of "ribby" and a bit of a hard keeper. She's also OLD! Older than the people we got her from said she was. She's quite Looooong in the teeth! (If she's 17, like the people said she was, than so AM I!! (and I'm 36!) She was my husbands deal. But then, I guess I can't complain because the one I brought home (the Paso) has a few physical issues. But she's such a SWEETHEART!!! And she doesn't move too fast (just my speed!) And she really IS 17-- I have her papers to prove it!

We got the last two horses this past Winter. Traded them for a load of hay each. Sad how horses in our state are practically being GIVEN away. No feed and no money to BUY it! (Alfalfa is almost $200-$300 a ton in some places. OUCH!!! We grow our own hay, so it's not a worry for us. We are truly blessed!!!)

Believe it or not, I haven't ridden much. I want to start riding again now that my kids are old enough to leave behind and not have to worry about them. I can't even remember the last time I rode my Morgan, and I've had him almost 18 YEARS!!! Guess I need to just saddle up and stop THINKING about doing it! Happy riding ladies!! ~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2008 :  09:55:36 AM  Show Profile
Tracy, your horses sound awesome! Arabs are my first love, but Morgans are a close second. They have the most amazing manes and tails, don't they? :) I've ridden a Paso Fino before, and I just remember her as being quite the handful--spunky and sassy. Beautiful horse, though. Hay is getting really hard to find here, too. It's a long drive to get any that's reasonably priced, and then by the time you look at the gas it takes to get there, it's not that much for savings.

The Blazer breed is both new and local here close to Boise, which is probably why you haven't heard of it before, lol. The breed registry is out of little Star, Idaho. I believe it originated in the '70s. Basically developed to be a sound ranch horse, it has a lot of Quarter Horse and Morgan in it. They're really great horses, usually bay or brown. Honey's dam was Blazer, and I really loved that mare. Her owners let her get tangled up in some barbed wire, though, and had to have her euthanized. She was really gentle and intelligent.. good horse.

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2008 :  11:05:55 AM  Show Profile
Sad about your horses mom. I have a friend who's horses are ALWAYS getting hurt because her place is so cluttered with JUNK! I have doctored more than a few of them for her because she was afraid to do it. (legs, feet-- all those limbs that KICK! Never a problem for me) I make it a point to do regular sweeps of our pasture to find any potential "Owie" things, though sometimes I DO miss! But no major injuries to anyone-- though I've had to "un-wrap" a sheep or two from broken hotwire, baling twine etc...

The Paso is a strange horse to me. This one has had a bit of a rough life, obvious by the physical scars, but she's got a VERY sweet personality. I have not tried to ride her yet-- she seemed a bit stiff in the cold weather, but once I get up my nerve (and she gains a little more weight!) I'll give her a try. That's why I fell in love with her. All those obvious signs of mistreatment and/or neglect and she's STILL gentle and calm and sweet. (I got her from a horse rescue)

My Morgan is an absolute DOLL!! He's got quite a personality and he's so trusting! (he also has no concept of PERSONAL SPACE!!! He likes to rub his muzzle in my hair and rest his chin on my shoulder. He also has a "foot" fetish!) I've had him since he was a baby. He was severly neglected by his first owner. (practically STARVED to death!) We bought him from the 2nd owner (CHEAP!!) who cared for him well, but didn't want him any more. We've had him nearly 18yrs and he's been nothing but SPOILED since! But he's not too much of a brat.

I would buy another Morgan in a heartbeat, but I would start with a baby again. They ARE quite a handful when they're young, and I can imagine that-- in the wrong hands-- they can be a NIGHTMARE! (not to mention DANGEROUS!!!) My horse was quite fiery when he was young. He would bite me when he got jealous, but I took care of THAT by biting him BACK! (A friend told me to do it. I didn't know she was only JOKING!! but it worked!) Once, he even kicked me in the butt. (THAT HURT!!!) Oh he KNEW he was in trouble as soon as he did it. He didn't get his "goodies" when we got back to the house and I didn't talk to him for the rest of the day. He's never kicked me since.

Oh, and YES, they DO have amazing manes and tails-- but what a lot of WORK to maintain!! It took me TWO HOURS to brush out his tail, it was so tangled, but the thought of cutting it off just made me SICK!! I wouldn't trade that horse for MILLIONS! I just love him! (and they live a LOOONG time!) ~~Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2008 :  11:10:53 AM  Show Profile
oh, and thanks for sharing about the "Blazer" horse. It's like the "Rocky Mountain -somthing-or-other" and the "Walkaloosa" and the "Cracker" horse! (among others) ~~~Tracy

Go to Top of Page

sdleah
True Blue Farmgirl

93 Posts

Leah
Pittsburg TX
USA
93 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2008 :  2:40:08 PM  Show Profile
We raise old-style Morgans and LOVE them. The only thing that we have that is rideable at the moment is our stallion and only my hubby rides him...I sold my gelding last year because with two little boys and another baby on the way, I just didn't have time to ride much and he was too good of a horse not to be used.(He went to a 14yo girl who is riding him constantly and showing him western and english, so I'm thrilled). But I love to ride, trails and pleasure/around the pasture stuff. Hubby trained and showed professionally for a lot of years and he has promised that he will help me get into some shows when the kiddos are a little older. I'm excited.

Anyway, our website has pics...the address is in my siggy.

www.narrowgatemorgans.com
Go to Top of Page

artbysue
True Blue Farmgirl

218 Posts

Sue
Kidron Ohio
USA
218 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2008 :  6:59:17 PM  Show Profile
I enjoyed reading about everyone's horses. I have horses too. A tb mare that foaled today. :) She had a beautiful warmblood foal. I will post new foal pics as soon as I am done writing this. We also have 2 arabs and a gaited mare. I trail ride.

equine and animal artist, Amish art, www.suesteiner.com www.amish-art.com
www.amulti-coloredlife.blogspot.com
http://www.cafepress.com/suesteiner
Go to Top of Page

farmama_3k4h
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

FARMAMA
kentucky
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2008 :  8:26:58 PM  Show Profile
We have four horses-2 thoroughbreds that we adopted from a racing retirement center to save them from slaughter, one senior citized Appaloosa and one Arabian. My daughter shows hunt seat on the Arab. We all enjoy riding. A few weeks back, we were on vacation on the Outer Banks of NOrth Carolina and my daughter and I rode horses on the beach. This was a dream come true for her and I will admit, it was fun riding in the surf.

Our horses bring us much enjoyment and we enjoy their personalities and intelligence.

Ribbons -n- Rags

www.ribbonsnrags.blogspot.com

Farm and barn girl since birth.
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2008 :  9:28:14 PM  Show Profile
We are down to 4 horses and 2 minis. the little guys are mine because I said after everyone moved out I was going to get me some ponies. A free deal--so I took them. I had to put my mare down last September-she broke her shoulder. We all ride western and game, barrel race and one of my daughtes does penning. We have Quarter horses and Kylee (14) my grand-daughter is just starting a new horse. My youngest did show her horse English and did ok for having to do it on her own. She got her mare when they both were 12 and kept her until she died (the horse not the daughter). Then she had her cremated and packs here around with her. I guess we love our horses and they work hard for us. Just me and my ponies---we just play. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

TabithaLenox
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Kim
Gettysburg PA
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2008 :  11:01:51 AM  Show Profile
MB- I'm sorry to hear about your mare. It's so sad when we have to let them go.

Jodi- Thanks for the info on the Blazer breed...I hadn't heard of that either!

I forgot to say in my first post what kind of horses I have! We have Scout, a 15 yr old Leopard App gelding,Micah a 12 yr old Haflinger gelding, Jake a 7 yr old Haflinger gelding and a 20+ yr old Belgian Molly named Becky. Becky belongs to my husband. The ad said she was 16H and 14 yrs old.....sound familiar, Tracy? Like yours, she is also much older than the seller said. We knew it when we looked at her...but what we didn't realize was that Becky didn't have a tongue! We checked her teeth but never thought to look to see if she also had a tongue. About two weeks after we bought her I was worming her and got a good look in her mouth. I went running to my husband in tears that we had bought a mule with no tongue. LOL, of course he didn't believe me but I was right! Looks like it was severed in a farm accident. Poor Becky!

My favorite breed is Appaloosas and Scout is one of the best horses I've ever owned. He's got a good mind and a big heart. I have pics of all of them on my blog if anyone wants to take a look!

Kim

Farmgirl #184

Go to Top of Page

artbysue
True Blue Farmgirl

218 Posts

Sue
Kidron Ohio
USA
218 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2008 :  2:51:38 PM  Show Profile
Oh poor Becky! She obviously must eat okay. I have heard of people cutting tongues as a very unethical, harsh 'training' method. Hopefully thats not what happened to her.

you sound like you've got a very nice herd there! :)

equine and animal artist, Amish art, www.suesteiner.com www.amish-art.com
www.amulti-coloredlife.blogspot.com
http://www.cafepress.com/suesteiner
Go to Top of Page

Lydia Martin
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Lydia
Talladega Al
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2008 :  3:09:13 PM  Show Profile
Hey farmgirls, I am new to this chat thing but here goes. I have 3 horses a spotted saddle Tenns. walker named Boss, A red Mare named Dixie Rose she is a walker too, and a Zebra Dunn Paoso Fino, named Spirit. He looks like the cartoon Horse Spirit of the Cimmeron. He is a real charmer and my favorite horse. My Husband has the Boss Hoss. The red mare is a pet most of the time but she will let anyone ride her and she is a sweetheart. I will post pictures as soon as I figure out the photobucket thing, stay tuned you will love these horses. I hope to catch on to this chat thing and get some new farmgirl friends. I live in the deep south so it is getting warm and I will only ride when the weather is cooler early mornings and full moon rides. I will share more when we ride somewhere nice. seeya,

Yours Always Cowgirl
Go to Top of Page

TabithaLenox
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Kim
Gettysburg PA
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2008 :  3:15:23 PM  Show Profile
Hi Lydia, Nice to meet you! I'm like you, I'm also a fair weather rider and prefer the early morning or late evening rides.

Kim

Farmgirl #184

Go to Top of Page

TabithaLenox
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Kim
Gettysburg PA
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2008 :  3:19:41 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by artbysue

Oh poor Becky! She obviously must eat okay. I have heard of people cutting tongues as a very unethical, harsh 'training' method. Hopefully thats not what happened to her.

you sound like you've got a very nice herd there! :)

Thanks Sue. We really don't know much about her history....mostly because the woman we bought her from lied about most everything so what we think we know, may or may not be true! LOL But my husband loves Becky, she's his pet and she adores him too so it's a good match. She also has scars on the corners of her mouth so that's why we assumed it was a farming/driving accident. I also think she was driven more than ridden and was probably part of a team.

She eats just fine but working a big salt block doesn't work to well for her...

Kim

Farmgirl #184

Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2008 :  10:46:25 PM  Show Profile
I have horses too!

I have always ridden dressage or combined training but I would love to learn to ride western. I collect vintage side-saddles and bridle rosettes and such.

http://www.abraxasbaroque.com/

Here are some pics of my Friesian stallion, and we also have two paints, two arabs, a blind app, and a darling old palomino mare that my 12 year old son just loves.

Not all those who wander are lost...
Go to Top of Page

Renee M. in Michigan
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Renee
Allendale MI
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  01:58:53 AM  Show Profile
We have 4 at the moment. I have an old Rocky Mt. pony (he didn't get tall enough to be registered) who is in his mid-twenties and has Cushings, but he's doing great. He's been with us for 7 years. Then I have two Icelandics, my mare Soley who just turned 19 this month and whom I've owned since she was 2, and Eitill, a gelding who is 14 and I've owned since he was 3. Finally, we have a little Icelandic cross pony mare who is 5 and whom I MUST get to training this year before my kids out-grow her!! I haven't ridden much in the last two years due to having young children, but before that, I was camping, trail riding, doing CMO's, Judged Trail rides, parades, shows -- you name it. Horses were my life. I am hoping to get back to riding this year as I've hired a babysitter for the summer.

I hope I remember which end to face. . .

-- Renee M. up in the mitten

No woman ever made history by following the rules.
Go to Top of Page

TabithaLenox
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Kim
Gettysburg PA
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  05:09:20 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Sarahpauline

I have horses too!

http://www.abraxasbaroque.com/

Here are some pics of my Friesian stallion, and we also have two paints, two arabs, a blind app, and a darling old palomino mare that my 12 year old son just loves.

Not all those who wander are lost...

Hi Sarah, your stallion is absolutely gorgeous!!

Kim

Farmgirl #184

Go to Top of Page

TabithaLenox
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Kim
Gettysburg PA
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  05:11:09 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Renee M. in Michigan

We have 4 at the moment. I have an old Rocky Mt. pony (he didn't get tall enough to be registered) who is in his mid-twenties and has Cushings, but he's doing great. He's been with us for 7 years. Then I have two Icelandics,

Renee M. up in the mitten

No woman ever made history by following the rules.

Renee, I've always wanted to ride an Icelandic but haven't had the opportunity. They look like a fun breed!

Kim

Farmgirl #184

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  06:14:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I don't own my girl yet but here is a picture of Tala when she was 3 months old. She is Straight Egyptian Arabian. Very sweet and gentle! And pretty darn fearless too! She is just a month younger than Nora, so she is a yearling now.

In these pictures she is in a partially fenced field that is about 10 acres. She is so sweet and trustworthy that you will notice her without halter! Of course we don't let her run around in an unfenced field all the time without a halter- just for pictures!

Oh and here is a picture of her dad! And his mane is even longer now!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  06:29:36 AM  Show Profile
Oooh la la.... Alee, Tala and her sire are strikingly beautiful...

*sigh* Arabians--my one true love.

~Jodi

Go to Top of Page

TabithaLenox
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Kim
Gettysburg PA
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  06:30:26 AM  Show Profile
Congrats Alee! She's gorgeous!

Kim

Farmgirl #184

Go to Top of Page

TabithaLenox
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Kim
Gettysburg PA
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  06:39:11 AM  Show Profile
Here's a pic of my Leopard Appaloosa Scout...gotta love those spots! LOL

Kim

Farmgirl #184

Go to Top of Page

TabithaLenox
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Kim
Gettysburg PA
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  06:43:53 AM  Show Profile
And here's a pic of my youngest Haflinger gelding, Jake. This pic was taken our first winter here.

Kim

Farmgirl #184

Go to Top of Page

Lydia Martin
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Lydia
Talladega Al
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  08:59:20 AM  Show Profile
Hey, Sarahpauline, Saxon is a dream! what beautiful pics.

Yours Always Cowgirl
Go to Top of Page

Lydia Martin
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Lydia
Talladega Al
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  09:11:13 AM  Show Profile
Hi ya all, I thank you for the reply TabithaLenox, it's good to meet ya too! I am just takeing a min. to see what's new, and hope to get some pics posted soon. I have been especially bust because my Spirit pony hurt his eye lid last Sat. afternoon and had lots of stiches and now he is on antibiotics the powder is so messy and I hope the vet will give the shots next time. Ayway he is doing well now. It was very scarey for awhile because he went off feed and hay for a few days and seemed very distraught. I think he is recovering well now and is back to normal eating ect. He has his vision and vet said his eye looked good thank you horse angels! He is such a beautiful little Paso Fino and I hope that his won't leave to much of a noticable difference from one eye to the other but it seems like it won't. I will keep ya p on his recovery. Say alittle prayer to the horse angels to keep him well for me would ya. Thanks

Yours Always Cowgirl
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Any Farmgirls own Horses? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page