sugarwood_naturals
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Jackie
Wister Oklahoma
USA
24 Posts

Posted - May 29 2008 :  9:38:40 PM  Show Profile
My grandma always cut the buttons off everything and saved them in jars. I would like to use some of these buttons to make a keepsake for both my kids - teenage boy and girl. But I can't think of anything that isn't too "lame". lol I did find a cool idea today but I don't know where to get the right supplies. It was an old garage sale table with buttons glued to the top and some kind of clear resin poured over it to create a smooth glass-like top. I didn't save the site either - dang it. It was gorgeous but I can't find any sites that give more information about the resin, how to use it, project ideas and such. Anyone know where I can find such information and maybe more button ideas?

Thanks!

Good Old Fashioned Lye Soap
http://www.sugarwoodnaturals.com

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - May 30 2008 :  12:46:23 AM  Show Profile
Hey Jackie, I read somewhere that you can just use a shellac that dries clear..has to be one that is non-yellowing. Supposedly it's less expensive than using the resin for the same effect.

Stephanie
www.queenofdreamsz.blogspot.com
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.blogspot.com
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.com
Go to Top of Page

aimeeravae
True Blue Farmgirl

341 Posts

Aimee
Deer River MN
USA
341 Posts

Posted - May 30 2008 :  05:45:03 AM  Show Profile
You can find the epoxy at craft and DIY stores (lowe's) it comes in two tubes and you mix it together then just pour it on. I made memory boxes with findings and such.

Aimee

"Taking joy in life is a woman's best cosmetic."-Rosalind Russell
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - May 30 2008 :  05:53:35 AM  Show Profile
Instructions should be around somewhere my friend had a coffee shop a few years ago and we made an entire bar with that polurethane material, full of cool stuff, it works well but you must let it sit undisturbed for twice as long as the package says. The instructions are on the internet somewhere..i have seen them...be persistent and keep looking.

Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - May 30 2008 :  06:07:49 AM  Show Profile
http://www.finishing.com/123/62.shtml

here was the first link i came up with..looking for one that shows you how to do it step by step that I have seen before....be back soon hopefully...

Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - May 30 2008 :  06:22:27 AM  Show Profile
okay cannot find it but the above link should help you lots, I wish I could remember what we used...I remember it was an all day and into the night project, but it was a long curved bar at a shop, so maybe that was why, and then we quickly did up a table top because we had extra. If was fumey, so have good ventilation...and if a large surface more than one torch.

Go to Top of Page

sugarwood_naturals
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Jackie
Wister Oklahoma
USA
24 Posts

Posted - May 30 2008 :  08:46:33 AM  Show Profile
Thank you all for the information. I will keep looking also. I hadn't thought of shellac. That's a good idea.

Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - May 30 2008 :  12:13:00 PM  Show Profile
A square throw pillow is nice too, using the buttons to make a design on the front. Being small, wouldn't be a problem for your kids to have room for it. Embroidery on the back stating it's in memory of grandma, using her buttons would make it a family heirloom to pass along to their kids. If you have any fabric from her clothing, making yoyos and using buttons in the center would be a great tribute.
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - May 30 2008 :  4:52:59 PM  Show Profile
My gran did the same thing
I have a small collection from her and my husbands mom and some little old wooden spools ; some of which is really old
I have some blue gallon canning jars that hubby's mom gave me ,
I am going to put the spools in there some of the buttons too
Hey for the girl you could make a button braclet or necklace
or earrings
I think that button jewerly is in for the young ladies.
Pinkroses

www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sugarwood_naturals
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Jackie
Wister Oklahoma
USA
24 Posts

Posted - May 30 2008 :  9:52:45 PM  Show Profile
Oh those are great ideas too. Maybe I'll just make a few things. Lord knows there are enough buttons. You couldn't throw any clothing out without hearing, "Wait! Let me cut the buttons off that." LOL Oh and she saved zippers too. I bet I could use those on the pillows.

Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - May 31 2008 :  06:08:38 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
i love the table idea. i have a HUGE tin collection of buttons started by my grandmother when she was 10. i have added to it with my own salvaged buttons and some i've found at thrift and antique stores. now i know what to do with them!

What we write today slipped into our souls some other day when we were alone and doing nothing.
-Brenda Ueland

http://quilandneedle.blogspot.com/

http://musingandmuttering.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Button Crafts Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page