SusieQue
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Susie
Greenville Ga
Georgia
603 Posts

Posted - May 29 2008 :  09:50:37 AM  Show Profile
I love Little House on the Prairie books, but what other types are out there that are similiar? Love anything about pioneer days.

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - May 29 2008 :  1:29:29 PM  Show Profile
Susie - I was on a prairie kick this year and read a bunch. Sandra Dallas has written some good ones, including The Diary of Mattie Spencer and The Persian Pickle Club. Also Nancy Turner has written three in a series, the first is called These is my Words. I liked the first one the best, they are based on her grandmother who homesteaded in Arizona.
Go to Top of Page

SusieQue
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Susie
Greenville Ga
Georgia
603 Posts

Posted - May 29 2008 :  4:37:43 PM  Show Profile
Thanks! Will look for those.
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W
Farmgirl Legend/Chapter Guru

437 Posts

Saratoga Springs New York
USA
437 Posts

Posted - May 30 2008 :  10:33:03 AM  Show Profile
Susie-

Find the Little Britches book (and it's two sequels)...they are good, and great read-alouds for kids. They were like LIttle House but with a boy as a main character. I forget the author's name and they are hard to find in the library because they are classic and not frequently borrowed so they end up in book sales. They are worth the search, however!

carrie

www.totallykadeshfarm.blogspot.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing
Go to Top of Page

SusieQue
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Susie
Greenville Ga
Georgia
603 Posts

Posted - May 30 2008 :  10:48:33 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Carrie, will certainly start looking. Sounds great if its anything like little house
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  08:26:26 AM  Show Profile
Jeanette Oke has written several, but not directly for kids - you may have heard of Love Comes Softly and the sequels.
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  2:44:33 PM  Show Profile
Two of my all time favorite by Elinor Pruitt Stewart, LETTERS OF A WOMAN HOMESTEADER, wwhich is an amazing story of how she went west alone to stake a claim on a piece of land and all the adventures she had, and she has another called LETTERS FROM AN ELK HUNT.
she is a wonderful writer and really gives you a vivid picture of life on the prairie. I think you would like them, I reread them occasionally , they are really something, I guess because they are the "real"thing.....Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  4:07:43 PM  Show Profile
Quite an amazing story is by Elithe Hamilton Kirkland, called Love is a Wild Assault. It's the story of Harriet Potter during the days of Texas' battle for independence - being a Texas girl, especially endearing. It's a very good read. I hope you will all seek it out. Just an unbelievable account of real-life people in unbelievable circumstances -
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  4:10:09 PM  Show Profile
Oh, and Karin, I plan to look for the books you mentioned - they sound great! Thanks -
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Prairie Books Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page