suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2008 :  1:35:31 PM  Show Profile
Not sure if anyone else has read this, but "Three Cups of Tea" is an EXCELLENT book. It is a true story of an American man who ends up building schools in Pakistan, mostly for girls. It is amazing how his life is blessed by God, how people he meets turn out to be helpful and essential to what he grows and does. I am just so in awe of how God used him, and he just did it. He came from a missionary family in Africa so he has a sense of enjoyment of all people. It really shows in his relationships and what ends up becoming his lifelong work.

I loved this book so much I bought a copy for my dad and encouraged him to go meet Greg Mortenson as he was visiting his hoemetown. It is not an overly Christian book, but just seeing how things moved along and evolved shows how one thing can lead to another which leads to amazing things.

This is an incredible book. Check it out from your library. I am trying to convince my son's school to have a Pennies for Peace collection next year. It's amazing how very little money it takes to have such an inpact.

Country girl in NE PA

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2008 :  6:57:19 PM  Show Profile
My sister in law was just telling me about this book last weekend. It does sound like a good one. Sounds like his work could lead to bringing Truth to the people in the area.
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2008 :  9:18:28 PM  Show Profile
I just read about this book recently and it is on my wish list for the library. It is so wonderful to know someone has these dreams and carries them out. It is so easy to get discouraged, but hearing this story really made me grateful....Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2008 :  9:38:14 PM  Show Profile
A beautiful story about an amazing part of the world! The author has had so many adventures and I loved reading about his life. I was humbled to read the details of how he went about making true connections with people in the villages of Pakistan- he has a concept of time and patience that we could all use a bit of I think. Greg's work is a model of how to offer assistance when it is needed without disrupting a cultures unique attributes and without disrupting their spiritual and religious practices. It is so interesting to see how the world perceives that Balti people so differently from the Sherpa- they are nearly neighbors after all, due in no small part to the fact that Westerners are rather comfortable with Buddhism and are more weary of Islam.

People are people the world over and our needs are all the same, here is to seeing past labels and loving people you find before you- this is my favorite book so far this year;)
Rebekka

www.bebebella.etsy.com

As a woman I have no country. As a woman, my country is the whole world.

Virginia Woolf
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic THREE CUPS OF TEA Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page