Sherries Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Sherrie
Graham WA
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2004 :  08:05:46 AM  Show Profile
I have to say, it was a bit more work...but environmentally friendly. Especially for my septic. Except for the bedrooms (carpet) and bathrooms (ceramic tile), the whole house is hardwood flooring. Once we finished the house over two years ago, I ran right out and purchased a Floor Mate. Yes, it's ok...a bit heavy, and it seems to wash and dry to floors well, but I decided that I just needed to be a bit old fashioned about it and got out the bucket, poured 1/2 cup vinegar and a gallon of warm water into it and went to work. I am very happy how it has turned out. Now to go buy a old fashioned mop. :)

Sherrie

"When you care enough, you make it yourself."

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2004 :  09:08:31 AM  Show Profile
I envy you having nice hardwood floors, Sherrie! That is my dream... to rip out my old carpet and replace it with wood floors. Ideally I would choose bamboo because it can be harvested sustainably; however, it is still quite pricey. To me wood floors just represents a nice clean look. That way too, you can change the feel with area rugs as the desire arises... get a whole new decorating look with minimal effort!

Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2004 :  3:36:40 PM  Show Profile
I am wanting to rip up our carpets and go hardwood too. I hope there is wonderful old hardwood under these 1960's carpets but I have my doubts. So....I will have to do one room at a time for sure. I need to do SOMETHING in the living room first. The family room can get by longer..it is sort of "kid zone" anyway. I have loved hardwood floors in other houses I had.

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2004 :  4:46:14 PM  Show Profile
Our house is all hardwood floors, with a couple of area rugs thrown in. They were waxed and polished just before we moved in, but I don't do more than dust, and sometimes go over them with a damp mop.
I never really had wall-to-wall carpet, and though it might be warmer I don't think I'm missing anything. I've read too much about what's in the rugs (i.e. chemicals) to really want them. We have a large family room with a brick floor (came with the house) and the neighbors told us it has radiant heat, but for one reason or another it's not working (we tried it once and it got warm, but probably needs some maintenance). We did put my Mom's carpet in this room when she sold her house, and it's brighter and warmer.

Cecelia

ce's farm
Go to Top of Page

HiDez Gal
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Roberta
Joshua Tree, CA
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2004 :  1:54:23 PM  Show Profile
We have Bruce hardwood flooring that has been down since 1985, it has held up really well. I just vacuum and go over it with a slightly damp mop. I used to wax it but stopped that about two years after it was installed (we did ourselves). With the grit and sand that gets tracked in here the wax would look awful in just a short time. About every two years i have removed the furniture, cleaned the floor thoroughly, opened all of the doors and windows and applied Minwax Antique Oil Finish. It dries to a hard finish that lasts and lasts. Now i can't find the stuff...does any one know what happened to it or know of a good subsitute? I am sure the people at Bruce would faint if they could hear how i have cared for the flooring because it is pretty much what they say not to do <VBG> I say whatever works!

From my favorite coffee cup:
"A gal's gotta do what a gal's gotta do." Minnie Cody, 1901
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Hardwoods Floors Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page