Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Removing odor from fabric? Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

12 Posts

Tracy

12 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2004 :  11:41:43 AM  Show Profile
I just bought some vintage fabric and, whoooo, it smells strong of moth balls. Does anyone have any ideas how I can remove the smell?

Thanks!

Tracy

Nobody should have to share their water with a duck! DH

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2004 :  12:25:56 PM  Show Profile
Hi Tracy,
Someone may recommend a product that will be helpful, but in the meantime, I would try washing it (presuming it is washable material) and then hanging it outside in the sun to dry. A washing and fresh air will often times work wonders.
Clare

Gardener, Stitcher, Appreciator of all things Natural, & Spiritual Explorer
Go to Top of Page

HiDez Gal
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Roberta
Joshua Tree, CA
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2004 :  1:09:18 PM  Show Profile
I often use white vinegar to remove odors and to clean things. A solution of white vinegar and water will help to remove the odor of pet accidents. I use a mix of cider vinegar and water to wash my Schnauzer's beard - it makes his beard smell much cleaner and seems to help get any little snarls out too. Don't know if vinegar will help with the moth ball smell but if the fabric is washable it might. If it is not washable i would think hanging it outside would help - if it is really old, valuable fabric you might want to do a search on the web to get more information before you do anything to it.
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2004 :  1:00:53 PM  Show Profile
If you have access to an "Alpine Air" Or Ecoquest indoor air purifier or can rent an ozonator from a local rental place you can place your fabric on hangers in a closet that you can close and turn on the ozonator or ozone blaster for about 1 to 2 hours and Voila, No more smell. This works for musty smells as well as cigarette smell, cat urine and many other smells. Things come out smelling like they were hung on the line in the sunshine for a couple of days. It eliminates the possibility of sunbleaching your vintage fabrics.Washing your vintage fabrics can be tricky as some fabrics actually have a shelf life and become brittle with age. Very careful hand laundering in mild soap with little to no agitation is recommended but this does not usually eliminate the smell of moth balls. Ozone reacts chemically with the odor to neutralize it. No danger to you and no danger to the fabric.
Eileen.

songbird
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2004 :  5:07:19 PM  Show Profile
I use plain old baking soda in my wash. I removes all kinds of odors and is natural to boot.

farmgirl@heart
Longaberger Lover and all things antique
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Removing odor from fabric? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page