Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Revisiting canning...and a new perspective
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Revisiting canning...and a new perspective Next Topic  

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  06:40:42 AM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
First let me say how thankful I am we have survived hurricane Rita with so little damage. I am ready to get back ON THE GRID!!! But other than that no worse for wear. But, I have lost most of if not all of my very large freezer. I am just sick about it even though it is so minor to what others have lost. It pains me that I was so wasteful! Why didnt I can???? Because it is too HOT??? Fooey! Because it is much more work than freezing everything??? Fooey! I won't do this again. I am downsizing the freezer...putting in shelves and next harvest Susan will be standing over a hot stove. It will be a small price to pay. I had months worth of meat and veggies frozen. My granny canned meat..even whole chickens. I wont do that but I am going to learn to can meat. And no more frozen veggies. We work too hard on our garden to let it all go to waste over elecrical outage. AND Susan will have a gas stove before winter. I have an electric and it is useless in a situation like this. At least had I had a gas stove I could have cooked and fed evacuees and us and not let all this food perish.

So yep...new goal! LEARN TO CAN EVERYTHING!!! And getting a vacuum sealer too...and going to can butter and the works! I will be a true blue farmgirl at this time next year...just like my granny who I admired more than anyone else.

Love you all! Stay safe. More later.

Susan
Proprietress of Dahlem's Soapworks http://www.thesoapmaven.com

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  08:24:17 AM  Show Profile
OH Susan I'm so sorry about the freezer loss. That happened to us one time but it was our fault. We didn't close the freezer door all the way and everything thawed...we were soooo mad. But like you said if that's the worst that happened to you due to the storm then you made out pretty well. Glad to hear you guys are safe and ok. I too have been wanting to can more but the thought of canned meat just really grosses me out and I wouldn't eat it. Fruits, veggies, fruit butters, that kind of stuff I would really like to can more of.
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  09:36:54 AM  Show Profile
We live in a rural area near the ocean and get bad storms almost every year, losing power for sometimes days at a time. We bought a generator and when we lose power we hook up the generator to the freezer for a couple of hours a day to keep everything frozen. (I understand this is much different from what you went through Susan) We also can (alot) but since I work I don't always have time to can everything. This year I froze about half of my veggies.I don't think I would love canned meat either but in case of a disaster the plan is to can the meat in the freezer on our gas stove should I have to.(rather than lose it)Hubby says he could run the pressure cooker over a campfire, methinks I would be about a hundred miles away if he tries. We also lost an entire freezer full of meat once. It was out in the breezeway and plugged in through a window in the boys bedroom (stupid) they of course unplugged it, ages 2 & 4 at the time.

http://morkielove.blogspot.com/
I was Country before Country was COOL
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  8:58:42 PM  Show Profile
Susan, there is an article in Countryside & Small Stock Journal on canning with a few meat canning recipes.

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

Coffee and a Muffin
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Kim
GA
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  10:17:23 PM  Show Profile
Wise advice! I never would've thought about this. Maybe a combination of both would be good. Then one could enjoy the healthier frozen and still have plenty put up to cope without electricity. I'm planning on getting a pressure canner for next summer. Certainly have more incentive now! Your granny was a wise woman, Susan.

http://www.nuttnhoney.net
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  10:30:50 PM  Show Profile
I got in the habit of doing alot more canning than freezing when I was married to my first husband who had an extra "moving chip". He would want us to move alot and moving frozen stuff was sure harder than canned stuff so I just got in the habit and it stuck. I do freeze meat when I buy in quantity..like 1/2 a beef, but never have much else in the freezer..sometimes corn on the cob...and ice cream of course. But I do start working on canning alot of it up as I can..it is so nice and cool in the kitchen for canning in the winter so I like to do meat then. I like to make up seasoned hamburger for tacos, burritos and like that and can it..sure is handy..and familiar..nothing wierd about it. Same with stew meat...Alot of times I can up the meat separate and open jars and put a quick meal together..easy as pie.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2005 :  06:20:53 AM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
Well...Aunt Jenny!!! Cough up the recipes! I think that will be my January project...canning venison and chicken. I know it can be done. And the thought of canned meat doesnt bother me. I love canned chicken. I loved anything my granny made! Guess whatelse!! I am going to learn to MAKE CHEESE!!! Yep. She did it, I can do it. I wish for her almost everyday. I miss her so much. I love my mom but we have so little in common. I mean if you met us separately you would never believe we were mother and daughter. She is quite possibly the most dependent person I know and I HATE being dependent - for anything. I HATE having to ask for help...and I rarely do. It has been an inside joke between me and my husband for years, and not a funny one, but he knows it is part of what makes me the way I am, that my mom's favorite phrase is "I can't." It pains me like you wouldnt believe to have to say that. That's why I can plumb, and till and work on my car. I almost refuse to say I cant. I will say I WON'T...but not I cant. I mean no disrespect, my mom is a great person but like when all this power outage happened and bad weather, she was just panicked...what would we do???? Well...plan B or C. There is always more than one way to skin a cat! She is just not into being inconvenienced...I have had to gently remind her several times that things are not that bad. I don't want to do without electricity anymore than anyone else but we are very fortunate. And should be thankful.

Love you gals...more later.

Susan

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2005 :  06:40:35 AM  Show Profile
Wow...Susan..we could have been separated at birth!! I feel exactly the same way about my grandma and my mom. I learned everything I love to do from my beloved grandma ( I called her Mom..but everyone did) and I miss her every single day too! She has been gone since '92. My mom sounds like yours..very dependent on others..when my dad died a year and 1/2 ago she didn't even know how to write a check..pretty sad.And he hadn't shown her (she didn't want to know) how to run their business so it has been really hard) So she has my brother and sister who live close to her doing everything for her now and my grown sons do what she can't manage around the house. She is 65 and healthy, but helpless and I will NEVER be like that. How anyone can be raised on a dairy farm like her and turn out so helpless is beyond me..I love her, but sure don't use her as an example!!
I will get the meat canning recipes together for you and post them tomorrrow..kid party here this afternooon and I can hardly think this morning!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

Tatiana
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Tania
Boise ID
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2005 :  8:56:24 PM  Show Profile
Susan:

I am sad for your freezer loss too. I do can a lot of fruit, but am too chicken to can meat or vegies. Maybe a happy medium? I do worry about my freezer for the same reasons, but maybe I can get by on my peaches and bread.... definitely need to think about this more.

Tania
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2005 :  05:03:23 AM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
What are neighbors for???? Taking their generator over and running your freezer for you while you are displaced!!! I went to check on my house and my freezer was frozen!!! That's what I get for assuming the worst! And a huge extention cord run out my back door...my sweet neighbor who has lots of meals ahead at my house, has been taking it over running it and then taking it on to his brothers. I am so thankful!!! Frig....different story...but it needed cleaning out anyway...maybe not completely but if that is all we lost...how thankful can I be???

Abundant Our Blessings~Thankful Our Hearts

edited for spelling - its early!

Susan

Edited by - TheSoapMaven on Sep 28 2005 05:04:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2005 :  07:41:08 AM  Show Profile
Susan -- that is such good news!! God bless your sweet neighbor!!!

I'm still hot...it just comes in flashes.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2005 :  08:40:53 AM  Show Profile
Compassionate humanity does exist and we're a big part of it! So happy for your freezer redemption, Susan!!!

May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently through the world and know its beauty all the days of your life. ~~Apache Blessing
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  2:08:14 PM  Show Profile
Susan. Horray! I bet you will still learn the canning. The county Extension service has great training in this program. Become a master canner then you can teach all the women you know how to do it right. About the slaving over a hot stove, I think it can and should be done outside in season over a wonderful little 2 burner propane hot plate. I have one for outdoor cooking and canning and love it. Check with your local propane dealership where you can purchase propane stoves and fireplaces. These are portable and hook up to a trailer sized bottle. The burners are large enough for a canner and a cook pot at the same time. You can use a picnic table. The only draw back is that they need sheilding in windy weather but one is easily constructed from a piece of metal or wood that will sheild it and still fit around your pots. Mary Jane has one of these out in the plum pit anex beside one of the wall tents. A simple out door kitchen can be set up and all the heat stays outside.
Eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Coffee and a Muffin
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Kim
GA
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  8:22:16 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Eileen

Susan. Horray! I bet you will still learn the canning. The county Extension service has great training in this program. Become a master canner then you can teach all the women you know how to do it right. About the slaving over a hot stove, I think it can and should be done outside in season over a wonderful little 2 burner propane hot plate. I have one for outdoor cooking and canning and love it. Check with your local propane dealership where you can purchase propane stoves and fireplaces. These are portable and hook up to a trailer sized bottle. The burners are large enough for a canner and a cook pot at the same time. You can use a picnic table. The only draw back is that they need sheilding in windy weather but one is easily constructed from a piece of metal or wood that will sheild it and still fit around your pots. Mary Jane has one of these out in the plum pit anex beside one of the wall tents. A simple out door kitchen can be set up and all the heat stays outside.
Eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth

What a great idea! That's one reason I hate canning. I put up some tomatoes and peppers this year and the heat about did me in!

Susan, I'm so glad your freezer is running again. Does that mean you didn't actually lose the harvest you had in there? I'm a mite confused. Was it already spoiled?

http://www.nuttnhoney.net
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Revisiting canning...and a new perspective Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page