Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 What's a good car for northern climates?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic What's a good car for northern climates? Next Topic  

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - May 23 2008 :  11:43:21 AM  Show Profile
It seems like Subaru is the state car of Idaho. We are looking this weekend to buy a a newer used car. It has to be good on gas, and fit a big carseat and a big bulldog. I keep getting mixed responses asking people, AWD or front wheel drive for snow. Help! Vehicle ownership/marriage is such a huge deal for me, since I rode public transpo for 10+ years in Portland. I should add that I can drive a stick and I cry when cars break.

Trish
Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
FREE TIBET!

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - May 23 2008 :  6:23:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
Anything with front wheel or all wheel drive. I grew up in Seattle and happen to be an SUV gal so that my preference. Cars with all wheel or front wheel drive just seem to do better in inclement weather I think.

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom"
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - May 24 2008 :  05:37:30 AM  Show Profile
We're a Volvo family up here. Fella says to look at 850 wagons (anything after '94). Lots of room for kids and dogs, and really good gas mileage. And get a good set of snow tires for the winter and you should be all set!

Good luck!

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - May 24 2008 :  09:41:46 AM  Show Profile
Subaru wagons are very popular up here. There are more Subaru wagons here than pick-ups. We don't have one...yet but everybody that has one here loves them. They say they run forever and are the best vehicle they could find that would handle our snow AND still be easy on gas.

If you invest in a good pair of chains (NOT the cable-type), you'll be able to go anywhere, anytime. And they are not at all difficult to put on and take off. DH and I race each other when we put them on the truck and I ALWAYS get mine on first!

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - May 25 2008 :  08:57:14 AM  Show Profile
We ended up getting a 2005 Chevy Equinox. It has AWD and is good on gas. It is the color of the Emerald City. We had to drive 100 miles, to Deer Park, WA, north of Spokane to get it for a good price. It was a beautiful drive.
I looked at Subarus and our carseat barely fit. I am a tall person, and it just seemed cramped.

Trish
Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
FREE TIBET!
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic What's a good car for northern climates? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page