Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up
 UPDATE Seeking RAOK 4 My Mom w/ Cancer in Hospice
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up: Previous Topic UPDATE Seeking RAOK 4 My Mom w/ Cancer in Hospice Next Topic
Page: of 2

pollyesther
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Karen
FL
USA
35 Posts

Posted - May 22 2008 :  10:10:11 AM  Show Profile
This was my original email from last year---please see my newest post on this thread dating 07/08/09 updating my mom's status as she enters hospice care. Thank you!

Hi-
I was hoping that perhaps a few kind farmgirls would be so sweet as to send my mom a postcard, note, letter or greeting card as she is getting ready to go through a difficult time and mail really brings her such immense joy. I posted here a while back seeking penpals for her and she has just been beside herself to have found some wonderful snail mail farmgirl friends. For those of you who don't already know her, Mom (Beverly) has collected postcards for over 50 years and her favorite past time is penpalling/letter writing. She has not had an opportunity to travel much in quite some time, so she sees the world through her cards.

On May 29th, my mom will be undergoing surgery to remove half of her lung (and perhaps more, depending on what they find during surgery) and discover whether or not she is suffering from a malignancy. She has never been a smoker, so the discovery of a rather large growth in her lung has come as quite a surprise. And while she hasn't felt great recently, she has not been really sick, so it was that much more of a shock. Mom is actually penpals with Linda (a rose). They were diagnosed just weeks apart. I still can't believe it.

Mom will be hospitalized about a week, so she should be returning home that first week of June.

I was thinking how nice it would be to lift her spirits with some nice thinking of you, get well or any other sort of cards to look forward to, as she rests and heals. Of course, she would love if you took the time to tell her about yourself and/or where you live! I can't possibly tell you how much joy this would bring to her. Please the more the merrier...even if you see this post a month or two from now, please message me.
:-)

My mother has never learned to use a computer, so she is not a registered farmgirl herself. If you message me, I will give you her name and address. I am also happy to send you a postcard in return, if you like. If you send your return address, when Mom is feeling better, I bet she will send you a card as well!

Just a little about Mom. She lives in FL and is almost 64 years old. She taught elementary school for years. She loves postcards, letter writing (as I mentioned), shabby chic, Victorian Papers, Country Living & Country Home, gardening, the mountains, vintage anything, crafting (sewing, paper crafts, recycled/reinvented crafts). She loves nature & animals, learning about different places and different cultures. She likes to cook & bake & go shopping (but is frugally minded). :-) She enjoys watching old MGM musicals & other old movies of yesteryear, as well as HGTV and the Travel Channel. She has a great sense of humor and is very kind & caring. She has one 37 year old daughter and 3 grandchildren who she enjoys spending time with. She hopes to get well very soon and finally get to do some traveling.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and thank you in advance for any who respond and send a greeting to my Mom-
I send you warmest wishes from the bottom of my heart!:)

Edited by - pollyesther on Jul 08 2009 8:17:49 PM

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - May 22 2008 :  10:51:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Your mom sure sounds like one of us, Karen. I'll be happy to send her fun stuff in the mail. I printed off most of the thread about my farmhouse, including pictures, so she can see what I do with most of my time. She likes most of the same things I do, so I'm sure I'll be sending her a packet of stuff to read through.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 22 2008 :  10:55:08 AM  Show Profile
She sure does--
I'll email you for her address...It's a long weekend ahead and I plan on getting some letters done and posted.

Thanks for letting us know, and I'm hoping for the best for her.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

pollyesther
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Karen
FL
USA
35 Posts

Posted - May 22 2008 :  11:53:07 AM  Show Profile
Thank you all, so very much for your kindness and love! I am so delighted to hear that many of you are also sending some wonderful envies full of love & well wishes to Miss Linda too!
How wonderful!! I wanted to ask for that as well, but wasn't sure how to go about it as a surprise since Miss Linda is a visitor here! :-)

You all need to be cloned, as we need a world full of farmgirls!!

Much love, warm wishes & huge hugs,
Karen
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9402 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9402 Posts

Posted - May 22 2008 :  6:36:31 PM  Show Profile
Karen,
I'm emailing you for your mom's address. Would love to send her some mail.

Denise

farmgirl sister #43

Kind hearts are gardens
Kind thoughts are roots
Kind words are blossoms
Kind deeds are Fruits

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - May 22 2008 :  7:47:34 PM  Show Profile
Karen, I've emailed you, would be more than happy to send your mom a card from Kuwait.
Best wishes for her surgery.
Corinne

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - May 23 2008 :  11:32:56 AM  Show Profile
Karen, I'll keep your mom in my prayers and I'm sending an email for her address. My mom has just been sent to the hospital too and will be in for awhile. I was just reading your mom's interests, she and I have a lot in common. I love musicals and the old classics too.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

NikkiSAllen
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Nikki
Aurora IN
USA
32 Posts

Posted - May 23 2008 :  7:23:45 PM  Show Profile
Hi Karen, I'd love to send your mom some cards! I'll send you an e-mail for her address. I'll say a prayer for her and you both, too!

Blessings to you!

Nikki

Farmgirl Sister #205

Edited by - NikkiSAllen on May 23 2008 7:25:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

pollyesther
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Karen
FL
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2008 :  8:47:27 PM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone-
I am sorry I haven't had time to send individual notes of thanks to all of you wonderful gals.
Mom has really enjoyed receiving your cards, notes, well wishes and other treasured goodies. You have all been so very kind and so generous. The postman's arrival is definitely the highlight of each day, while Mom is confined to home, still recuperating. Unfortunately they did find the growth in Mom's lung to be cancer, which has spread to the lymph nodes. We are not sure if there is any further metastasis. Mom will have about 4 more weeks to recover from the surgery then she will start on chemo and radiation treatments. She is in pain, but coping and doing her very best to stay positive and hopeful. We pray daily and spend as much fun time together as possible, while still allowing her time to rest. I am trying to "fatten her up" :-) prior to treatment as she is a wee petite little thing. The cancer has brought her down to just 99 lbs. I know Mom hopes to write you all back as soon as she is able. She just loves hearing from you all so very much and wishes she could thank you personally sooner.
Thank you all for bringing us such joy during this difficult time-
Love,
Karen & Bev (Mom)
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2008 :  05:33:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for updating us, Karin. I'm just sorry the news isn't better. I've been thinking of her.

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

aimeeravae
True Blue Farmgirl

341 Posts

Aimee
Deer River MN
USA
341 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2008 :  06:10:02 AM  Show Profile
get me an address and I will send out some lovely greeting.

Aimee

http://laplantewardklopf.blogspot.com/ Motto To Live By
"Life should NOT be a jouney to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, latte in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!"
Go to Top of Page

CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2008 :  5:28:43 PM  Show Profile
My thoughts are with you and your mom. A big cyber hug for you as a caregiver; I know how difficult that can be.

Kimberly Ann
Why Reinvent the broom?
http://nostalgichomemaking.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

pollyesther
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Karen
FL
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  5:33:51 PM  Show Profile
Hello-
Last May I was so very fortunate to have requested love & support via postcards and other wonderful greetings for my ailing 63 year old mother, Beverly, who was having surgery to remove 1/2 of her lung for what was suspected to be a mere infection, being that she was a non-smoker and never around second-hand smoke.

During surgery they discovered what was thought to be infection was actually stage 3a lung cancer which had spread to the lymph nodes. Mom recovered from surgery and received radiation treatment. She was determined an unfit candidate for chemotherapy so treatment ended and ever since we have been praying and hoping that she would win her battle against cancer.

Unfortunately, things have recently taken a turn for the worse. Mom is weakening rapidly and has lost a significant amount of weight, leaving her so tiny & frail. She is now on oxygen and is at home in the care of hospice.

In an effort to bring her a little cheer, I was hoping that perhaps this community would be so kind yet again to offer up some greetings postcard-style from 'round the country/world. I can't tell you how delighted my mom was when she had her surgery to receive such kind greetings and well wishes---it really brightened her days immensely.

Mom has always collected postcards, ever since she was a small girl. The simple things in life bring her such happiness. Any type of card will be greeted with open arms and will bring joy to a very wonderful lady, whom I am fortunate enough to be able to call "Mom".

If you send me a PM, I will gladly forward you Mom's address. Thank you in advance for your care, concern, & kindness. It is greatly appreciated. And, I should say that I will be more than happy to mail a postcard back to you, if you like. :-)

Warmest regards,
pollyesther

p.s. My mom is actually a penpal of Linda's (arose). They were both diagnosed with lung cancer about a month apart, unbelievably. I ask that you please keep both Linda & Mom in your prayers. Maybe we could do something similar for Linda too? Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  06:27:32 AM  Show Profile
Bonjour, Karen! I will be glad to send your mom a postcard from France. Please email me with your mom's name and address. Praying for you in this difficult time. Hugs, Nance
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  6:43:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Hi Karen,
If you send me your mom's name and address I'd be happy to send her a card. My Mom also has cancer, Stage 3 Ovarian and was diagnosed a year and 3 months ago. She's had a few rounds of chemo as they try to get ahead of it but success is limited. I understand how you're feeling right now. Big farmgirl huggzz to you.

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://fantasm01.imagekind.com/
http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2009 :  05:40:43 AM  Show Profile
Karen, I too will send your mom a card if you will send me her mailing addy and if you can Linda's add. too. I will keep them and you both in prayers. Blessings,Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10 http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

pollyesther
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Karen
FL
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2009 :  06:45:50 AM  Show Profile
Hi-
Thank you all so very much for your kindness and willingness to brighten Mom's spirits.
Cheryl- I am so sorry to hear of your Mom's battle as well. Please know I will keep you & yours in my prayers as well and please let me know if I might send a greeting to your Mom as well. I will PM you & Cheryl with Mom's address in a jiffy.
Thank you again to everyone for your prayers and well wishes, they are so greatly appreciated.
Hugs back to you,
Karen
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2009 :  08:03:15 AM  Show Profile
Hey Karen. I just e-mailed you.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  02:15:10 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Your mom's card will go out in today's mail Karen and you're most welcome. I don't know exactly how my mom would react. So for now prayers are all that's needed and thank you so much. Her name is Freda. I have pictures of her on my blog from last Spring when she first went into the hospital. She's continuing to fight a good fight so for now things are fairly stable.

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://fantasm01.imagekind.com/
http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MrsDirtDoctor
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Hallowell Maine
USA
165 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  6:37:24 PM  Show Profile
Karen,
My thoughts and [rayers are with you and your family and of you email me her name and address I would love to send her a card :) Hugs to you and your family

shayna
gardiner,maine

http://chickenladies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

pollyesther
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Karen
FL
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  10:04:37 PM  Show Profile
It is with much sadness I write to update all you wonderful farmgirls to let you know that my beloved, sweet, beautiful mama, Beverly Mock, passed away Saturday, 8/8/09 very early in the morning after a most valiant 14 month battle with lung cancer. She was surrounded by family and love and I know she is in Heaven now, free of pain and suffering. We miss her and love her so very much.

Thank you for making her final days as happy as they could be, considering all she was going through. Receiving mail was the high point of each day for her. We were fortunate to be able to celebrate Mom's 65th birthday in residence inpatient hospice 4 days before she passed. We had a great time filled with tiny bites of cake, cards which we read to her, thoughtful gifts, beautiful bouquets of flowers, fun balloons, lovely music, phone calls from friends, even tiaras!, but above all else family & love.

Thank you all for bringing Mom much joy. Your kindness is so greatly appreciated. I can't tell you enough.

Much love and well wishes to you and yours,
xoxoxo
Karen Crawford
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  06:52:07 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I am so sorry, Karen. Many condolences and much love to you all.

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Laila
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Laila
Kutztown PA
USA
273 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  07:03:46 AM  Show Profile
Karen,
Hugs to you and your family in your time of loss. I'm praying for you.

Laila
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  07:09:10 AM  Show Profile
Karen, I'm so sorry to hear of your mom's passing, my deepest sympathy to you and your family.
Hugs

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

Merry
True Blue Farmgirl

765 Posts

Merry
Ankeny Iowa
USA
765 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  07:58:10 AM  Show Profile
I'm sorry, I know you will miss her. I am keeping you and family in my prayers,

Merry
Farmgirl #536

http://afarminmyheart.blogspot.com/

"Nobody has ever measured, not even poets how much the heart can hold."
Zelda Fitzgerald
Go to Top of Page

Jennifer Mulkey
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Jennifer
Arkansas City KS
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  09:10:33 AM  Show Profile
Karen, I'm sorry I wasn't around in time to send your mother a card. I also have had cancer, breast cancer, and although right now I'm clean, anyone with cancer knows it can come back on us at any moment. I'm so sorry for your loss. I also lost my father in 1982 to lung cancer, it's very prevalent in our family.

I'm hoping this finds you well, and although I know it will take a long time for you to get past the grief that you are undoubtably experiencing, know that life will eventually take a turn back to normal, a new normal for you, as well as your entire family.

Many prayers and thoughts here for you and your family.

Jenny
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up: Previous Topic UPDATE Seeking RAOK 4 My Mom w/ Cancer in Hospice Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page