Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Dishwashing liquid?! Next Topic  

Bfriday
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

Jessica
Miles TX
125 Posts

Posted - May 15 2008 :  12:36:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Bfriday an AOL message
There are threads for making your own laundry detergent...so, I was wondering does anyone make their own dishwashing soap? If so will you direct me to the recipe

Farmgirl Sister #188

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - May 15 2008 :  2:35:04 PM  Show Profile
Jessica - do you mean hand dishwashing soap or dishwasher soap? Dishwasher soap is equal parts of borax and baking soda. I've never seen a recipe for hand dishwashing soap, but I'd love to have one!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 15 2008 :  3:20:52 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Sherri- does the dishwasher soap work well? I hate the liquid stuff and my dishes do not come clean.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - May 15 2008 :  3:26:47 PM  Show Profile
It's been awhile since I've used it - our current house doesn't have a dishwasher - but I used to use it about 5 years ago and didn't remember having any problems. We had a really good Kitchen Aid dishwasher though, so that probably helped. I know I started using it because I hated the liquid stuff too. My DIL uses it and likes it.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 15 2008 :  3:37:01 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
This apartment has an older dishwasher, so I think that may be the problem but I am going to give it a go because I hate handwashing. Thanks.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - May 15 2008 :  3:37:01 PM  Show Profile
I use the homemade dishwasher soap. It works OK, not bad, but not great either. My main issue is that the glasses are a little cloudy, but I usually just take them out & dry them with a damp towel to shine a little bit. I figure it is a little more work but worth it to be natural.
For homemade dish soap (like Dawn or whatever) I either use Dr Bronners Castile soap or Sal Suds mixed with water, or Shaklee's Basic H mixed with water. None are as concentrated as the commercial stuff, but both do a fine job.
Go to Top of Page

Bfriday
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

Jessica
Miles TX
125 Posts

Posted - May 15 2008 :  7:48:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Bfriday an AOL message
I was first asking about hand dishwashing soap, but I am happy to find homemade dishwasher soap too!
Lisa, where do you find Sal Suds, or the other brands you mentioned? Is Dr Bronners Castile the same as the Kirk's Castile used in the laundry detergent recipe? You just mill it down and mix with water? Sorry lots of questions!!

Farmgirl Sister #188
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 15 2008 :  7:57:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
For homemade hand dishwashing soap...I just use my homemade hand soap!! I take all the little leavings that are in the bucket after I pour into the mold, reconstitute only to the "gel" stage and I put in a squeeze bottle. It works great. I also put a little vinegar in my rinse water when I remember to.

PS, you can reconstitute almost any homemade or commercial soap to the gel state- so if you don't make your own soap, you could buy some from any one of the many farmgirls who do! :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - May 15 2008 :  8:23:58 PM  Show Profile
Jessica
I got a good deal on my Dr Bronners products at GNC of all places(online) They were having a buy one get one free & I stocked up. I got lavendar & peppermint castile & also the Sal Suds. I love the peppermint, VERY strong, & great for doggie smells.. Alee that is a great idea also
Go to Top of Page

marmieto12
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

laura
utah
USA
213 Posts

Posted - May 17 2008 :  4:44:55 PM  Show Profile
For the cloudy dishes using borax and baking soda...use vinegar in your rinse cycle.
You may be using too much of the homemade soap, cut back a little fill up only one compartment and leave compartment open when you start the dishwasher.
Give your dishwasher a good cleaning cycle (empty) with only vinegar and that will clear up some of the residue.

Laura;Dreaming of big girl farm...

Farmgirl # 148

http://lilsfamilyfarm.blogspot.com

Chapter http://justsimplythegirls.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - May 17 2008 :  6:33:18 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Laura, I will try that
Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - May 22 2008 :  2:01:53 PM  Show Profile
Man, is there anything baking soda and vinegar can't do? ;-)

Lisa do you just squirt the Dr Bronners onto the sponge, or can you fill a sink with it?
I try to give my dirty dishes a bath rather than shower them but sometimes I just have one or two. Is it very drying to skin? (I'm thinking more of the doggy bath in that regard. Mildred gets itchy in the summer.)

~Amanda in OK~

Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered by your old nonsense. -Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Bfriday
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

Jessica
Miles TX
125 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2008 :  4:41:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Bfriday an AOL message
OK I did a little digging and found a book titled, Homemade Best Made by Reader's Digest. In it there is a recipe for dish liquid. It reads:
1/4 c soap flakes
2 c hot water
1/4 c glycerin
1/2 tsp lemon essential oil
combine soap & water stir until dissolved. cool to lukewarm. Stir in glycerine & oil & leave to cool. As the mixture cools it gels. Stir w/fork to break up gel, using a funnel pour into a narrow necked bottle. To use, squrit 2-3 tsp under running water in sink.

I haven't made it, but I thought you soapmaking girls would have all the stuff on hand and might like to try it! If anyone makes some, please come back and post and let us know if you like it!

Farmgirl Sister #188
Go to Top of Page

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  10:48:59 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bfriday

OK I did a little digging and found a book titled, Homemade Best Made by Reader's Digest. In it there is a recipe for dish liquid. It reads:
1/4 c soap flakes
2 c hot water
1/4 c glycerin
1/2 tsp lemon essential oil
combine soap & water stir until dissolved. cool to lukewarm. Stir in glycerine & oil & leave to cool. As the mixture cools it gels. Stir w/fork to break up gel, using a funnel pour into a narrow necked bottle. To use, squrit 2-3 tsp under running water in sink.

I haven't made it, but I thought you soapmaking girls would have all the stuff on hand and might like to try it! If anyone makes some, please come back and post and let us know if you like it!

Farmgirl Sister #188

jessica, I am going to try it this afternoon. I have lavender essential oil I wonder if I could use that instead!!

AngiKay

For he is faithful that promised. Hebrews 10:23

check out Texas 4H! http://texas4-h.tamu.edu/
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Dishwashing liquid?! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page